Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 18:12 It is currently 21 May 2024, 18:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Applying from engineering [#permalink]
sudden - Good point, that's something I should not overlook, thanks. I have Mantauk's book so I'll take another look at that.

I agree that differentiating oneself is key. So any examples of how any of you engineers have tried to differentiate yourselves?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Im not an engineer but I know people who are and are pondering the application progress. It seems like the key to differentiation for engineers is showing Leadership and explaining who you are outside of work.....

Accepted.com has a section for IT applicants but Im sure you might find it helpful since IT and Engineers get lumped together and suffer from the same stereotypes:

https://www.accepted.com/mba/itapplicants.aspx
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
smkrn...Kryzak and myself both are engineers with backgrounds in defense, so we probably will be good resources for you. PM me with a detailed profile of what you do and who you work for and I will try to give you some ideas. Its hard to say what worked for us will work for you since there are so many difference between what engineers do at each job. I have friends who design stuff and its all technical and focused, where as I work with blue-collar mechanics a lot and do a lot of job site direction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
like river said, PM me the same info and I can try to help. River was on the actual government side, while I am from the defense contractor side, so you can get a good view of the differences from each side.

In general, for engineers, you want to really emphasize your leadership roles. The adcoms will know that most large engineering companies will not have snazzy titles like "Associate VPs" and "Directors" of other industries, but if you can tell a good story about your teamwork/leadership abilities through every day work or extracurricular activities, and demonstrate that you are a very well-rounded person and not just some math/science geek, you will do just fine.

My differentiators in the end were:

- knowledge of the defense industry, which is VERY different from commercial side, thus I can contribute that unique perspective to the classroom
- as an engineer, I was a "people person" who did a lot of non-tech stuff inside and outside of work
- I did a "lateral" within the company to move to a hard-to-get-into business development department
- mentioned some hobbies where there was a lot of social interaction

I think those reasons got me into the schools I got into. River and I can narrow things down for you more in private.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
Im not an engineer but I know people who are and are pondering the application progress. It seems like the key to differentiation for engineers is showing Leadership and explaining who you are outside of work.....

Accepted.com has a section for IT applicants but Im sure you might find it helpful since IT and Engineers get lumped together and suffer from the same stereotypes:

https://www.accepted.com/mba/itapplicants.aspx

Do engineers really get lumped together with IT students? I do not see how the two relate, especially UG course load.

I am a ChemE, and a prospective business school student. I won't be applying for another year or two, so I don't have a lot to add to this topic, but I agree with the previous posts.

Kryzak and RR, I was wondering if I could pm you guys as well. I would really like to hear your guys application process experience. I read some of your profiles, and past post, and they have helped a great deal already.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I think engineers in general get bunched with "techies", thus their relationship with IT. I think the adcoms will differentiate between an ME and an IT, but it's the work you do that matter, thus the importance of your essays and your resume.

feel free to PM me. PM me your email address too so I can keep track of all the PMs. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
89nk wrote:
Do engineers really get lumped together with IT students? I do not see how the two relate, especially UG course load.

I am a ChemE, and a prospective business school student. I won't be applying for another year or two, so I don't have a lot to add to this topic, but I agree with the previous posts.

Kryzak and RR, I was wondering if I could pm you guys as well. I would really like to hear your guys application process experience. I read some of your profiles, and past post, and they have helped a great deal already.

Sure shoot me a PM...I probably will have time this weekend to respond. I would say engineers and IT people are pretty different even to adcoms. My wife is a software engineer and our jobs could not be any different. She works in teams a lot so that is a strong point that she would want to emphasize, while I direct job site work quite often and also teams of engineers. Titles also make a difference, we dont get snazzy titles but its hard for them not to take a look at them. Instead of being a senior engineer which is common in IT, I am a "lead engineer" I have friends who have managing or chief in front of their title which doesnt seen as common in the IT world.

I think there is such a huge diversity in eng jobs and majors that if you have something different/unusual it can be very helpful. I would say tons of civil and mech apply, EE are probably significant too. A chemE is different, if your work is unique it really will be a big benefit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
If engineering is broken down by specialty, what do you think the most common types of engineering applicants are? I would assume software engineers, thus they get bunched in together with IT folks. I would guess Electrical engineers would be next, but there are SO MANY different things that electrical engineers can do that I would think it's tough to group them with IT folks.

For example, I do board level design and I'm currently leading a team of engineers on a board design project. I'm not sure how many board designers apply for an MBA...I would think not many, but I've heard comments on this forum that even IC designers are common applicants (truly surprised me).

I would think ChemE, Nuclear, and biomedical would be the uncommon engineering applicants.

Originally posted by sonibubu on 27 Jun 2008, 04:12.
Last edited by sonibubu on 27 Jun 2008, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I would also guess that software engineers (which often get lumped with IT people unless they make it a point to differentiate themselves, in my experience) and EE's are the most common. After that, probably mechanicals and civils, then probably biomedicals and chemE's. But these are just my guesses, based on absolutely nothing scientific.

Some schools, such as MIT, even specify computer science majors (at 8% for MIT) separately than other engineering majors (at 43% for MIT) in their class profiles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am new to this forum so Hello to everyone :)
I'm also a MechE grad since May 09. I work for for a mining company as a Maintenance Engineer. I'm just not sure what strength should I be focusing on. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
V-
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
smkrn wrote:
I've noticed that there are a few people here who have applied or are applying from engineering backgrounds. I'm currently working on my essays and applications, and was curious, what approach have you taken in your applications?

Specifically, I'm a mechanical engineer and work at a defense contractor. What strengths do you think we have to play on?

i realize this is an old thread, but for future readers, here are a few things i took away from my apps so far (my background is in chemE):

- essays: communication is the key. the stereotype of the bumbling engineer is one that you must overcome through concise and fluid essays. know your audience - don't go too heavy on the tech stuff in the essays. be ready to cut lots of "fat" out of the essays (it took me a few tries to get it under the word limit. remember word limits are there for a reason).

- teamwork: it's a given in any engineering program, but you have to portray your ability to work well as part of a team to the adcom. this goes hand in hand with how good of a team player you will turn out to be in b-school and in your future employment, so don't sell yourself short.

- professional organizations: during undergrad and post-college, there were a number of engineering societies that were available to me. some, like NSBE and SHPE, are ethnic/ professional societies, but others (ex: ISPE) are more specific subsets of your industry. find one that applies to you (for example, ASME for mechE's), and get involved with the local chapters early on. it will show that even though you're "just" an engineer, you already have the b-school mentality (i.e. networking with other alumni, professionals, etc).

showing leadership is always good, but for many engineering applicants (especially ones with less years of experience), it's not always realistic to expect them to lead large groups (or anyone really). i'd say if you're in a situation like this, it's more important to show personal growth and taking initiative on the job than it is to display direct leadership over a group.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do you think having a black belt qualifications in six sigma would help with the application at all? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
luonbay wrote:
Do you think having a black belt qualifications in six sigma would help with the application at all? Thanks!

Depends what your career plans are going forward. Most likely, no (as far as Business School applications are concerned).
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
i disagree - i think it would be a plus if your post-mba goal is in operations, consulting or general management. i think it's less useful if your essays talk about switching to i-banking or other finance type stuff.

this is why the essays are huge - you have to tie in your entire academic and professional history into something that makes sense i.e. you went to engineering undergrad, you got an engineering job, you became certified in six sigma, you want to continue along this path and become director of engineering in this industry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
This is a good thread and I think should be kept alive... I am a Chem E and Material Sci Engineer, currently working in semiconductor industry.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
i disagree - i think it would be a plus if your post-mba goal is in operations, consulting or general management. i think it's less useful if your essays talk about switching to i-banking or other finance type stuff.

this is why the essays are huge - you have to tie in your entire academic and professional history into something that makes sense i.e. you went to engineering undergrad, you got an engineering job, you became certified in six sigma, you want to continue along this path and become director of engineering in this industry.

Thanks shadowsjc.
And I agree, this is a really good thread and I think it should be kept alive.
Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
i realize this is an old thread, but for future readers, here are a few things i took away from my apps so far (my background is in chemE):

- essays: communication is the key. the stereotype of the bumbling engineer is one that you must overcome through concise and fluid essays. know your audience - don't go too heavy on the tech stuff in the essays. be ready to cut lots of "fat" out of the essays (it took me a few tries to get it under the word limit. remember word limits are there for a reason).

- teamwork: it's a given in any engineering program, but you have to portray your ability to work well as part of a team to the adcom. this goes hand in hand with how good of a team player you will turn out to be in b-school and in your future employment, so don't sell yourself short.

- professional organizations: during undergrad and post-college, there were a number of engineering societies that were available to me. some, like NSBE and SHPE, are ethnic/ professional societies, but others (ex: ISPE) are more specific subsets of your industry. find one that applies to you (for example, ASME for mechE's), and get involved with the local chapters early on. it will show that even though you're "just" an engineer, you already have the b-school mentality (i.e. networking with other alumni, professionals, etc).

showing leadership is always good, but for many engineering applicants (especially ones with less years of experience), it's not always realistic to expect them to lead large groups (or anyone really). i'd say if you're in a situation like this, it's more important to show personal growth and taking initiative on the job than it is to display direct leadership over a group.

Interesting observations. In my essays, I wrote a lot about communication and teamwork, but I didn't emphasize involvement in professional organizations; instead, I emphasized my involvement in community organizations, such as volunteering and church-related activities, in which I'm holding leadership roles. Personally, I think it also sheds light on my other dimensions in addition to being a quant-heavy engineer and the fact that I'm not a one-dimensional candidate. Building relationships with local communities is also very important to my career goals.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2