Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 04:17 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 04:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1687 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Which schools have grade non-disclosure [#permalink]
I've read about some review about the Gnd. The school is good for career switchers but don't really think about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
 Q50  V46
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Kudos
I just stumbled across this topic and I honestly think there's an entirely different reason for GND. The top B-schools are competing against each other and the ultimate goal at the end of the day is for students to get jobs with decent salaries. Schools are ranked by these and various other factors, and thus it is definitely not in a school's interest to divulge students' GPAs. For example, let's say that a student at Michigan is an "underperformer" and ends up with a 2.0 GPA, but another student at Notre Dame has a 3.8 GPA. Michigan certainly has an interest in their student beating out the Notre Dame student for a job if they're competing against each other. With no GPA involved, all the interviewer knows is "this guy went to the Ross School of Business at Michigan" and it's generally "ranked" higher than Notre Dame by nearly all publications. Business schools (which are actually businesses themselves) want all of their students to get good jobs (even the slackers) because it makes them look better and brings in more money, better students, etc. I also believe that schools that release GPAs may be inclined to be more lenient with grading because of the reasons I've mentioned. Just my thoughts. What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
WolverineFan wrote:
I just stumbled across this topic and I honestly think there's an entirely different reason for GND. The top B-schools are competing against each other and the ultimate goal at the end of the day is for students to get jobs with decent salaries. Schools are ranked by these and various other factors, and thus it is definitely not in a school's interest to divulge students' GPAs. For example, let's say that a student at Michigan is an "underperformer" and ends up with a 2.0 GPA, but another student at Notre Dame has a 3.8 GPA. Michigan certainly has an interest in their student beating out the Notre Dame student for a job if they're competing against each other. With no GPA involved, all the interviewer knows is "this guy went to the Ross School of Business at Michigan" and it's generally "ranked" higher than Notre Dame by nearly all publications. Business schools (which are actually businesses themselves) want all of their students to get good jobs (even the slackers) because it makes them look better and brings in more money, better students, etc. I also believe that schools that release GPAs may be inclined to be more lenient with grading because of the reasons I've mentioned. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

I agree 100 % with what you are saying, but I believe that another crucial factor was the extremely competitive enviroment in some bschools (like chicago and wharton) that prevented the schools from delivering the "teamwork" and "we also have fan" experience they promised.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
That would be the case even if there were GPAs involved, no? Your post would make a lot of sense if GPAs landed b-school grads *jobs*, but that's usually not the case.

WolverineFan wrote:
With no GPA involved, all the interviewer knows is "this guy went to the Ross School of Business at Michigan" and it's generally "ranked" higher than Notre Dame by nearly all publications.

Depends on your definition of lenient, or what you mean by "releasing GPAs." For instance, Stern grades on a A-F scale, yet for instance no more than 25% of students taking a class with the Finance department can get higher than an A-. People have gotten C's in their first semester, and some will get D's in electives this semester, as well. Is this lenient? Not really, it's just a reflection of the effort people put in to class. Most b-school students are pretty smart, hence the overwhelming majority will manage B/B+ grades, GND or not.

WolverineFan wrote:
I also believe that schools that release GPAs may be inclined to be more lenient with grading because of the reasons I've mentioned. Just my thoughts. What do you think?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The incentive for students to get a job argument can be drawn to the extent of "why doesn't everyone get a 4.0 in law school / undergrad?". While the motivation of students and organization of MBA programs is somewhat different from most Graduate degrees, it remains none-the-less an Academic qualification. So all schools mark with forced curves of some regard, reward solid academic performance and generally want their academic faculty treated with respect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
Kudos
Several valid points in favor of GND have been made on this post but I think the most important one is teamwork. B-school types are generally ambitious and competitive relative to the general population. Having a bunch of them taking similar classes and seeking business-related jobs is a great recipe for cut-throat competition, the type that detracts from teamwork and community. This perhaps explains why schools with reputations for being academically challenging overall (e.g. Booth and Wharton) are fans of GND and the Queen of case studies (packaged BS, imho) and discussion classes (i.e. HBS) can afford to disclose grades.

The true irony of this debate is that the students that are more likely to want grade-disclosure (i.e. the nerdy types that tend to think one's GPA is a truer reflection of one's abilities than real-world career achievement) are the ones that are most likely to lose-out in the recruiting game. A super-high GPA can actually back-fire badly if it is not backed-up by a stellar personality and impressive extracurricular achievements. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, in any business field that actually involves making money in the real world wants to hire a GPA-obsessed teacher's pet. They'll pick the ex-football quarterback with a winning smile and loads of confidence over an academic wunderkid without a second thought (they'll happily ignore the QB's 2.0001 GPA too!!!) That's the real world for you! If you want a genuinely academic experience, go to law school or go get a Ph.d. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
while i agree with your post's overall sentiment, you are too extreme. there are certainly business fields where a high degree of analytical intelligence and ability (as measured by things like grades in tough courses) is a huge advantage. for example, quant trading in a hedge fund. those types of roles certainly "make money in the real world" and they will hire a nerdier smart person over the 2.0 quarterback.

of course there are also plenty of roles for the 2.0 quarterback, and the bulk of mba recruiting does seek those traits (salesmanship, etc), but i think you are being a little too harsh in your assessment of nerds and their career potential :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
go2bizSkool wrote:
while i agree with your post's overall sentiment, you are too extreme. there are certainly business fields where a high degree of analytical intelligence and ability (as measured by things like grades in tough courses) is a huge advantage. for example, quant trading in a hedge fund. those types of roles certainly "make money in the real world" and they will hire a nerdier smart person over the 2.0 quarterback.

of course there are also plenty of roles for the 2.0 quarterback, and the bulk of mba recruiting does seek those traits (salesmanship, etc), but i think you are being a little too harsh in your assessment of nerds and their career potential :P

Hedge funds don't typically recruit MBAs to do quant trading. They are more likely to recruit students in master's programs for financial engineering and Phd's in heavy quant fields. An MBA is certainly not the best training for a quant trader and the MBAs that do quant-type work at hedge funds usually have a strong pre-MBA background in some quant field (they definitely aren't ex-consultants!)

The summary of my argument here is that there are other graduate programs better suited for those seeking an academics-centered experience. MBA programs are very career-centric; the classes are merely tools to help MBA students get the best jobs possible. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 968 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Does anyone know whether Tuck has a grade non disclosure policy? thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I didn't know whether to start a new thread or continue with this one, but this post is more informational than argumentative and contains current information that should be helpful to anyone interested in GND at Top Business schools. This was first posted on our blog at Inside MBA Admissions:

Here is the current list of “Top US” Business schools and whether or not they have GND:

School: Grade Non-Disclosure?

Harvard: No

Stanford: Yes

Booth: Yes

Wharton: No

Columbia: Yes

Tuck: No

Kellogg: No

Sloan: No

Haas: Yes

Fuqua: No

Darden: No

Stern: No

Ross: No

Yale: Yes

Johnson: No

Tepper: Yes

Anderson: No

Kenan-Flagler: No

Goizueta: No

It is important to understand the subtle differences between GND policies in the table above. Recognize that there are two entities at each school, the School itself and the elected Student Council, and both come into play with GND. For example, at Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), the school states: “The COC (career services) prohibits employers and students from discussing Tepper grades during the initial COC facilitated interview”; while at Chicago Booth, a more restrictive policy is caged with the following note: “This policy was adopted by students on October 6, 2000. It is not a policy of Chicago Booth or the University of Chicago”. The difference being that recruiters could technically ask students to disclose grades at Chicago (and students who violate the policy would only face the contempt of the Student Body). Both policies have the same result (GND), however the tone of each is different.

Because of the differences in policies, it is helpful to think about GND as a continuum from “Very GND” to “No GND”. One method for thinking about this has six levels:

1. School sets a policy for GND (e.g. Tepper)
2. School does not have grades, or may use a difficult method for recruiters to understanding them
3. Student Body formally determines GND (common among GND schools)
4. School or Student Body states that it is the student’s choice to disclosure grades to recruiters
5. School drafts a policy essentially saying students are free to release grades to recruiters, but the school will not actually release grades (e.g. Wharton)
6. School releases grades directly to recruiters (unaware of this practice)

For the purpose of the table above, schools with policies in the 1-3 range are classified as GND schools, while those in the 4-6 are classified as non-GND schools. Information for the categorization came from published records of school or student policies (or lack thereof). Since these policies change regularly and there can be subjectivity as to the effectiveness of policy #3 or #4, please feel free to update us with practices at your school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: Yale '19 (A)
Send PM
Guys, can we get an update on this for the class of 2019? It would be great if we could update this thread every year! Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
After seeing one session of milk round recruiting I can say pretty emphatically that grades have ZERO impact on whether you get an interview (and the offer). At least for finance you are far better off networking your backside off rather than studying extra hard for that A+ particularly as a career switcher.

At LBS we have grade non disclosure but we also have mandatory attendance for core classes. Skip more than 3 and you get an automatic C (ok I'm exaggerating a little but you get the idea). I think rhyme might have mentioned this earlier too, if you truly want to get the high honours MBA is actually an easier place to do than other post graduate courses. A vast majority of the folks are not here for the "academic" experience (although I speak more about the LBS crowd).

Does this apply to all programs at LBS or only the MBA?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Also fun fact schools..tend to keep the grade as 4.0 irrespective of actual grades while contacting the employers through cds...for ex UNC...they have kept in as licked and if the employers specifically ask for it then do reveal the same...bt mostly i guess employers dont do it if the recruitment happens through the career fairs in schools.

If its off campus...then may be the scenario may change...

Above info i read through this attached link-
For unc"https://careers.unc.edu/sites/careers.unc.edu/files/documents/Policy%20for%20Reporting%20Graduate%20GPA_0.pdf"

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2