Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 10:12 It is currently 21 May 2024, 10:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wharton (WEMBA East)
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink]
HP 17BII+ is what I use. Easy and versatile, works fine for stats and finance courses. Depending on your program, you might be only able to use your calculator for exams, so it might pay to spend the extra $ vs. your typical scientific calc. The Solver capability is pretty key on exams where time matters--just saves lots of keystrokes.

I also have an HP50g, but it's overkill for the amount of algebra and calculus we do. And it's enormous. The former engineers in our class use their scientific calcs, but I wouldn't buy one new for b-school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Great advice, one and all.

I should have added a caveat to my post; I HAVE to complete an online "Statistics 101" class before Wharton will have me in (I got a B in stats back when Bob Dole was running for President). I have a classic, smart-kid-in-11th-grade TI-83 calculator that I assume will be fine for stats, but I don't mind buying something that will get a bit more use without unfolding the laptop and making microsoft noises in the library.

Sounds like the HP-17 will work for the 5 or so times I actually use it. Drinks are on me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
I havent used the other HP calculators, but I would say get the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus instead of the HP12c. You enter in equations like you would on a normal calculator, it doesnt use reverse polish notation, which is kind of annoying if you arent used to it. I think some of the HPs have algebraic now, but I use the TI calculators.

Amazon has a very good deal on the BA-II Professional.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Agreed. For the "real world" too, the BAII+ Pro is the way to go. I've found it great for both school (MAcc) and my job. You won't really need more beyond Excel even for stats when you're working; TI-83 should be sufficient if the highest level you need to go is for stats (TI-89 and -92 are better for calculus).

Ginetta wrote:
I havent used the other HP calculators, but I would say get the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus instead of the HP12c. You enter in equations like you would on a normal calculator, it doesnt use reverse polish notation, which is kind of annoying if you arent used to it. I think some of the HPs have algebraic now, but I use the TI calculators.

Amazon has a very good deal on the BA-II Professional.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
RonMexico wrote:
Great advice, one and all.

I should have added a caveat to my post; I HAVE to complete an online "Statistics 101" class before Wharton will have me in (I got a B in stats back when Bob Dole was running for President). I have a classic, smart-kid-in-11th-grade TI-83 calculator that I assume will be fine for stats, but I don't mind buying something that will get a bit more use without unfolding the laptop and making microsoft noises in the library.

Sounds like the HP-17 will work for the 5 or so times I actually use it. Drinks are on me.

Your TI-83 will be fine for stats - anything in stats more complicated than algebra requires a laptop anyway. Plenty of people in my stats classes had those or similar graphing calculators and were just fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Can't speak to MBA specifically but I have used the aforementioned TI BAII Plus Pro throughout the CFA process and it is much more friendly than the HP, without the bulk and superfluous functionality of a TI-83. Then again, you can't play Snake on a BAII...ah, memories. Brings me back to 9th grade.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
HELLO,
Hewlett Packard 10BII or the Texas Instruments BAII Plus. These for the most part cost about $30 to $35, however you might at times discover them discounted for less. These are extraordinary financial calculators that will handle everything that you will probably require. In the event that you are an undergraduate finance major, an MBA understudy, or finance professional, then it might possibly be a decent choice to go for a higher-end model. Still, remember that you are presumably more inclined to utilize a spreadsheet for most issues, so a fancy calculator may be more than you require.
Thanks
zarajohn@
GMAT Club Bot