Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 01:22 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 01:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Low Gmat - but excellent GPA. Please evaluate! [#permalink]
Hi Manish,

"showcasing activities that illustrate your drive and enterprising nature"
--Can you please elaborate? What sort of activities are you talking about?

Also if you take gmat 3 times, does it have a negative impact on the admission committee?

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Manish,

"showcasing activities that illustrate your drive and enterprising nature"
--Can you please elaborate? What sort of activities are you talking about?

Hi,

With "drive and enterprising nature", I am referring to activities that show you to be the kind of person who when faced with a problem/need/situation goes ahead and fixes it or gets the right people to fix it. He does not sit around waiting to be told of the problem/need/situation in a formal way i.e. pro-active not reactive; initiator of new ideas rather than simply implementing someone else's ideas.

An example of such an activity may be -
- When approached by your professor about starting a university club for young engineers, you immediately started acting on the idea, gathered a few other classmates and spoke with the relevant authorities to lay out the plan versus waiting for the professor to lay it out for you.

Hope this clarifies and provides you a thought-starter.

Also if you take gmat 3 times, does it have a negative impact on the admission committee?

In your application form you would mention your highest GMAT score and this is verified against the score sheet that ETS sends the university. Therefore, I believe that the negative impact of multiple GMAT attempts would be minimal, if any.

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it!

Not a problem. Hope this helps.
Manish

Manish Agarwal
Vocaz
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot Manish!

This is really helpful.
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
rainmaker123 wrote:
Hi,

I attempted GMAT for the second time yesterday and scored a pathetic 610 (Q:47, V:28). In my first attempt I got 640(Q:46, V:32, E:5.5). I don't know what went wrong in the exam. I was scoring around 700 in all my practice tests. I have put in a lot of effort and time in preparing. And for my second attempt I put close to 90% of my time in Verbal preparation. I guess, I just don't do good on the verbal section for some reason.

Profile:
30/M
I have a Masters degree in Computer Science with a GPA of 3.89/4.0
I did my undergrad in India and scored 81% (Top 10% of the class)
I have decent volunteer work and currently I am a project coordinator at a volunteer organization.

I have been working for the past 4 years in a top tech firm and was promoted recently. Currently I am leading a project and managing an international team(3 members).

I plan to apply to the following schools:
1) Columbia
2) Stern
3) Tuck
4) Wharton
5) Darden (may be)

What are my chances? Should I take any courses at some community courses in order to strengthen my profile?
What else can I do in order to strengthen my application? How can I offset the low verbal score?

Thanks!

Hi,

There is absolutely no other way to offset your low GMAT score except to take GMAT again and score well on it. Admission committee will not accept any alternate amelioration of your profile as you can effectively take GMAT as many number of times you want. The schools that you have listed will unfortunately not consider your application in good light just because of your GMAT score. All I mean to say is that a good GMAT (740+) may not guarantee you admission but a lower GMAT can definitely guarantee denial.

Your educational background and professional profile looks competent except your GMAT score. It is not usually difficult for Indian applicants to do well on verbal provided you learn the fundamentals of answering verbal section. Based on your GMAT score, it seems that you are missing those fundamental bricks. There are lot of good GMAT prep material that you may buy and use to improve your verbal score.

Get some professional help on GMAT if you want. There are quite a few good trainers who can help you prepare for the test who have proven results.

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
Ph: +91 8105570816
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your comments Neha.

I understand that I have to score 700+ on GMAT if I want to get into the top MBA programs. I will try to improve my verbal score.
GMAT Club Bot