Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 20:26 It is currently 22 May 2024, 20:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: New York, NY [#permalink]
savannahe wrote:
Would you say that I listed the schools in order of what is most respected? Where would Pace fall in the list?

I have no idea of the rankings except for Columbia and NYU
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
You may also consider Hofstra (Long Island) and St.Johns (Queens)

No idea on how they are ranked though
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Set aside Pace, Hofstra and the others (though I am sure they are excellent programs). Seriously consider Zicklin at CUNY Baruch. Its actually a fantastic program, part-time or full-time. Many of the teachers are former faculty from the big three programs who wanted to give back to the public. And by give back, they mostly mean lifetime health benefits from NYC.

However, check it out. The name carries weight locally; as much, if not moreso than Pace or Hofstra.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your comments. As a student of Parsons I know that a few of my business professors also worked at Baruch and also spoke highly of it. I was hestitant because it isn't that well known outside of the New York area although I planned to apply there and see what happens.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
If you can raise your GMAT to low 600s, then there is a "fighting" chance for NYU part time
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Fordham a distant third followed by Pace I believe. I was accepted to both but wont be attending.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just checked out US News and Reports for the top 100 MBA programs. I believe according to it, Hofstra beat out both Baruch and Fordham for the best schools 2009-2010.

Hofstra's Rank: 82
Fordham's Rank: 87
Baruch's Rank: 94

https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings/page+4
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
sunpyohong wrote:
Just checked out US News and Reports for the top 100 MBA programs. I believe according to it, Hofstra beat out both Baruch and Fordham for the best schools 2009-2010.

Hofstra's Rank: 82
Fordham's Rank: 87
Baruch's Rank: 94

https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings/page+4

The only points I would make would be

1. When you get this far down the rankings, a 2 or 3 "point" differential or 10-15 "place" differential really doesn't mean that much and
2. Baruch's score seems to be hurt mainly because of admittedly shockingly-low recruitment statistics for its full time students (since the many more part time students, the vast majority of which presumably have jobs, aren't included in the numbers). The recruitment stats represent a significant chunk of the rankings and were the primary reasons why Wharton, for example, slipped this year for no apparent reason.

I'm not certain whether those recruitment statistics for Baruch are normal for the full-time program but you can see from the peer assessment/recruiter assessment Baruch is ranked on-par with Hofstra/Fordham and is a fraction of the cost. I can also tell you from personal experience the name means as much in the New York City area as those two universities, if not more. Unless you can point to a specific aspect of either the Hofstra or Fordham programs that will benefit you more than Baruch's, I would recommend anyone considering an MBA to keep the extra money and enroll at Zicklin, if accepted.
GMAT Club Bot