Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 16:34 It is currently 23 May 2024, 16:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V22 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Journey ( 9/25 is the DAY) [#permalink]
For improving sc, i would recommend going through discussions on the same here in gmatclub. Some of the discussions in mgmat website would also help specially by Ron and Stacey.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Mate for those encouraging words, I am actually more worried for being burned out coupled with the variations in the verbal score, which is bogging me down.

I guess you recently wrote GMAT ? Right ? How different was verbal in the real deal? I mean how difficult were the RC passages?

The RC was not that difficult but I screwed everything up, that was my fault (may be my bad day) the verbal is not that different from the GMAT prep so don't worry
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3611 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Nitish, you have excellent quant and good verbal score. I m sure you will crack 750 :)

Good luck and keep us updated !!!

What was your base verbal score when you had started preparation? I m screwed up in verbal :( . When I m mentally screwed up I even make silly mistakes in quant....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Good luck giving your test on the 25th! Nice practice scores, make sure to relax during test (Easier said than done).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
man you are doing great!!!!!!!!!

your practise scores are awesome keep the same pace on the D day...
you will definately score betwn 720 to 750.

Just make sure you have complete rest the night before the actual test.............:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
The RC was not that difficult but I screwed everything up, that was my fault (may be my bad day) the verbal is not that different from the GMAT prep so don't worry

Thanks for sharing...!

Inder, this is my second attempt as well, I also screwed my first attempt ( Last July) royally, but the take away was my mistakes, weakness and the determination to do well (which I was definitely lacking at that time, I was taking GMAT too casually, which made me paid and opened my eyes as well :lol: :shock: )

I would suggest you to take a break, try to recognise your mistakes and weakness and then prepare. I am sure you will come back in full fledge.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Nitish, you have excellent quant and good verbal score

Thanks Mate :)

Quote:
I m sure you will crack 750 :)

AMEN :)

Quote:
What was your base verbal score when you had started preparation? I m screwed up in verbal :( .

This is my second attempt, first one was in last July, I screwed that one royally due to numerous reasons like wrong study strategy, wrong material, lack of determination etc etc.

To answer your question about the base verbal score, I won't be able to give you an exact figure but I would say around 70 % accuracy in all OGs.

Quote:
When I m mentally screwed up I even make silly mistakes in quant....

I can very well understand, trust me I was going thru this phase, I was feeling burned out but after starting this thread, I am feeling much better,

My suggestion if you think you are done with the basic prep and thru with concepts and fundamentals, give one GMAT PREP and gauge yourself, that will definitely help.

Silly mistakes, -- Have you tried GMAT club Maths Tests ? If not then give it a shot, they will get the best out of you.

Rest, I will keep updating this thread till 9/25 with my progress.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
Good luck giving your test on the 25th! Nice practice scores, make sure to relax during test (Easier said than done).

Thanks Mate, I am trying my level best to hang on till 25th :) but as you said easier said than done :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
greatman1234 wrote:
man you are doing great!!!!!!!!!

your practise scores are awesome keep the same pace on the D day...

Just make sure you have complete rest the night before the actual test.............:)

Thanks mate,

Quote:
you will definately score betwn 720 to 750.

AMEN :lol:

I am trying my level best to sustain and keep my cool for 9 more days,
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Nitish, I have given many gc tests with good accuracy but the tension of verbal is ruining my quant too. I m quite concerned about the Verbal.

Could you elaborate your study history before and after 1st attempt in context of verbal?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just thought, I will update this thread with my results from Veritas Free Test.

710 ( Q 51, V 40)

I am happy with the scores and this definitely increased my confidence :)

Overall I would say I found this test pretty much close to the real deal in Quant, but in verbal more or less all the questions were like OG only. I think around 70% questions were testing the same concept but in different words but that wording was definitely much more harder to understand and grasp than OG.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
nitishmahajan wrote:
Just thought, I will update this thread with my results from Veritas Free Test.

710 ( Q 51, V 40)

I am happy with the scores and this definitely increased my confidence :)

Overall I would say I found this test pretty much close to the real deal in Quant, but in verbal more or less all the questions were like OG only. I think around 70% questions were testing the same concept but in different words but that wording was definitely much more harder to understand and grasp than OG.

Their sectional marking is quite good but overall very bad.. You should get at least 740 with this breakup.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Nitish, I have given many gc tests with good accuracy but the tension of verbal is ruining my quant too. I m quite concerned about the Verbal.

Could you elaborate your study history before and after 1st attempt in context of verbal?

I can very well understand your concern and tension here but don't worry, just hang on and you will come out with flying colours :)

Disclaimer : I am not an expert :wink: but I can tell you what all mistakes I did at that time

Before 1st attempt, I was using the wrong material, which I have collected from different sites.

I did not even use Manhattan SC and Power Score bible and underestimated RC big time and my step motherly burnt towards RC definitely made me paid.

I started off with OG 11 and exhausted it without properly understanding the concept.

After my first attempt, I took a break and tried to understand all my mistakes.

I started again with my prep around April this year and this time with all the right material, ( OG 10, 11, 12, Manhattan SC, Power Score CR Bible)

I learnt concepts from Power Score CR and Manhattan SC first and then used OG 10 and OG 11.

This time I was checking the explanations for all the wrong and correct questions. This helped me in building up my concepts, ( basically this helped me eliminating the wrong answers first instead of finding the correct one - in short my POE got better)

One more thing, which I realised during my first attempt was NOT to underestimate RC, I was doing fine during the test till the time I faced my first RC, it was some BIO related passage and even after reading 3-4 times, spending 15 minutes, I had not clue what was there in the passage -- Mainly due to my low concentration span

So, for RC, I started building my stamina by doing 3 RC passages at stretch, I used to re-read the passage if I am not able to understand and draw a structural map of it.

Then due to work pressure and travel, I lost rhythm and touch with my GMAT prep and could not start it before Aug.

This time again, followed the same approach, used the Manhattan SC, Power Score and then completed all OGs (10,11 and 12) this time.

Rest, apart from all this, I was actively checking all the new posts on PS, DS, CR and SC forums.

That is it, if you have any specific questions or need some material, let me know.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nitishmahajan wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for sharing...!

Inder, this is my second attempt as well, I also screwed my first attempt ( Last July) royally, but the take away was my mistakes, weakness and the determination to do well (which I was definitely lacking at that time, I was taking GMAT too casually, which made me paid and opened my eyes as well :lol: :shock: )

I would suggest you to take a break, try to recognise your mistakes and weakness and then prepare. I am sure you will come back in full fledge.

Cheers,

Thanks Nitish, yes I am not planning anything right now but may be decide something in a week or two...

Cheers
Inder :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Gave Kaplan Free test today and scored 690( Q46, V41) [ 3 dispersed mistakes in Q and 8 in Verbal]

I found Kaplan test pretty much aligned to the Real Deal but unlike MGMAT I did not find a lot of difficult questions in Kaplan Test.

Moreover, I guess the sectional marking is kind of weird, I scored 46 in Q after 3 mistakes :shock:

Have you folks also faced the same situation ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
nitishmahajan wrote:
Gave Kaplan Free test today and scored 690( Q46, V41) [ 3 dispersed mistakes in Q and 8 in Verbal]

I found Kaplan test pretty much aligned to the Real Deal but unlike MGMAT I did not find a lot of difficult questions in Kaplan Test.

Moreover, I guess the sectional marking is kind of weird, I scored 46 in Q after 3 mistakes :shock:

Great score !!
So do you recommend Kaplan to me? I have all the Gmatprep's and Mgmat CAT's....Is it worth?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

Great score !!
So do you recommend Kaplan to me? I have all the Gmatprep's and Mgmat CAT's....Is it worth?

Yup, I would recommend Kaplan free test, not sure about the paid ones :wink:

But don't get too excited or discouraged by the scores, I found the scoring mechanism a bit weird.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37474 posts