Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 16:14 It is currently 23 May 2024, 16:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: RiverRipper's Guide to Energy [#permalink]
Interesting article by Yergin (author of the Prize) from Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/2009/09/03/oil-daniel-yergin-business-energy-oil.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
I'll chime in on the languages with a simple story. I was very excited about learning Spanish and was assigned to a Latin America Business Unit. After about a month of trying to get people to speak Spanish with me with very little success I asked my mentor about it. He told me that the managers I was communicating with were trying to improve their English. Most expats looking to move up in the company are trying to master English. So for the most part English really is the global language for energy companies.

Another example comes from a coworker of mine who is Nigerian - he explained if two Nigerians meet on the street there is only a slim chance they speak the same language, because of this they will default to English which they learn in school.

Brazil/Africa/Asia are the big markets right now for Energy so you can't go wrong with Portuguese, Spanish, Australian accent - but impeccable English will get you a long way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Kudos
I'm working for an oil company right now before my MBA and I can see the advantage of learning a language. I would like to recommend French for consideration, because it is surprisingly prevalent in oil destinations throughout Africa. And the difference between a village in Congo and Paris is that in Paris, the person you are talking to probably speaks some English, or at least the other guy in the room does. So it's really important to know some French if you want to be understood outside of work situations - negotiating with customs officers at the airport, directing a taxi driver or ordering food in a restaurant.

However, in work, as other posters have said, most of your colleagues will be expats or westernized locals with decent English. Even if you've done your Berlitz classes or whatever, these guys are going to speak English better than you speak the local lingo and the meeting will move way faster in English.

So learn the language to make your life easier, but don't put it too high on your priority list. Oil companies will pay for training anyway - I got 60 hours of one-on-one tuition when I arrived in Italy. Molto bene!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q45  V41
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: 4.5 years drilling engineer Schlumberger
WE 2: 2.0 years drilling engineer ENI
Send PM
britguy wrote:
I'm working for an oil company right now before my MBA and I can see the advantage of learning a language. I would like to recommend French for consideration, because it is surprisingly prevalent in oil destinations throughout Africa. And the difference between a village in Congo and Paris is that in Paris, the person you are talking to probably speaks some English, or at least the other guy in the room does. So it's really important to know some French if you want to be understood outside of work situations - negotiating with customs officers at the airport, directing a taxi driver or ordering food in a restaurant.

However, in work, as other posters have said, most of your colleagues will be expats or westernized locals with decent English. Even if you've done your Berlitz classes or whatever, these guys are going to speak English better than you speak the local lingo and the meeting will move way faster in English.

So learn the language to make your life easier, but don't put it too high on your priority list. Oil companies will pay for training anyway - I got 60 hours of one-on-one tuition when I arrived in Italy. Molto bene!

Recognize ENI here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance & Strategy
Schools:Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
 Q47  V40
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Send PM
davud82 wrote:
britguy wrote:

Recognize ENI here

Hahaha, definetly either ENI or Saipem (which is almost the same!)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Wow, thanks riverripper for the detailed guide! I have an engineering background (BS and MS in electrical engineering), and am headed to a b-school known for GM this fall (Ross). I was an engineer for 5-6 years, but am currently doing a marketing internship. I'm mainly interested in energy - and sustainability, which may not go over too well - and am definitely interested in rotational programs. I am also interested in international experience in Africa and Asia. Based on your description and my background/career goals, it sounds like I would make a good fit. Do you know if they (especially Exxon) hire from Ross? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Exxon does recruit at ross for Treasury and Comptroller. You can check out the company database on impact if you're interested in companies that recruiting on campus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Any idea if they hire internationals either for US or international locations? Energy companies seem interesting and I wouldn't mind coming back to my home country working for one of these giants.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
Any idea if they hire internationals either for US or international locations? Energy companies seem interesting and I wouldn't mind coming back to my home country working for one of these giants.

I am pretty sure they will hire internationals for international locations. Not so sure on the US visa side.
Current Student
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
gijoedude wrote:

I am pretty sure they will hire internationals for international locations. Not so sure on the US visa side.

Agreed, as far as I could gather from their corporate presentations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am an energy trader and if anyone is looking into that field... post something up
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Bookmarked this thread!
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
lsuguy7
I do not know if you still read the stuff here, but I have 8 yrs with Exxon and am contemplating going back to bschool for a MBA. It looks like you are in Chevron with a MBA. Can you tell me what kind of opportunities you have found there and any tips? Thanks

lsuguy7 wrote:
Here is a previous blog post I made for the Consortium Energy Network.

"The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power
Well I’m finally back from some much needed vacation. I spent the last week in Colorado, fly fishing an area of the South Platte River known as the “Dream Stream.” I really enjoy Colorado, and the people I meet streamside. I was surprised how many people I met asked me about the new Oil & Gas laws implemented in Colorado, to protect fisheries from contamination, and how the new regulations might impact the economy of Colorado.

Before I go down the path of regulations, green energy, sustainability, clean tech, and many of the other “hot” topics, I thought this would be an excellent time to talk about how we got here. Understanding the history of the industry plays an important part in knowing where we are going and the growing challenges we’ll face.

Instead of me trying to recap the history I know together into a blog post – I’ll give some references I used in undergrad recruiting and others that have been recommended to me as a Chevron employee.

1. The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power by Daniel Yergin (Amazon)

2. For those of you who don’t want to sit down to read 928 pages of The Prize, you can try - Empires of Industry: Black Gold: The Story of Oil (documentary by the History Channel). You can also find this one on Netflix so if you are a member put it in your queue or download it right to your computer. (Amazon) (Netflix)

3. The Vault Guide to Top Energy Employers – this is a nice supplement to a company’s website or basic marketing materials.

4. Good ol’ Wikipedia - History of the Petroleum Industry

5. Post your favorite history sources as comments!

Remember learning as much as you can about the industry and the specific company you are targeting is going to be a big help in recruiting. Hopefully, we’ll get to some talking points, as well as some industry lingo that will help you carry a conversation with industry professionals and recruiters.

“Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler & Geaux Blue!”
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V40
Send PM
It's definitely hard for me to keep up with the consortium/energy/ross threads on the forum anymore best way to reach me is pm. I was actually at Chevron prior to b-school did my summer internship at a "super" major utility and have accepted a position as an energy consultant so I'd be happy to answer any questions along any of those lines.
Current Student
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
It's definitely hard for me to keep up with the consortium/energy/ross threads on the forum anymore best way to reach me is pm. I was actually at Chevron prior to b-school did my summer internship at a "super" major utility and have accepted a position as an energy consultant so I'd be happy to answer any questions along any of those lines.

Hey lsuguy7, are you in REC by any chance?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I'm definitely active in REC and always around if you want to talk energy or recruiting.
Current Student
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I'm definitely active in REC and always around if you want to talk energy or recruiting.

Cool. I'm actually in Houston right now on an REC-sponsored trip to meet energy companies in the area. It'd be really funny you turn out to be on the trip, too.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6