Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 04:36 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 04:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink]
If the market is improving is it improving more for recent grads or those who are already entrenched. So to speak?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Well, said friend is going to find out whether an H1-B can be done. If you are on a visa, you always want to be on the most flexible visa possible. Moving jobs, H1-B's are somewhat more controlled in their use than when you graduate business school. So, except for recent grads (where H1-Bs were literally sitting on government shelves) where it is kind of improving, for others it is business as usual.
Current Student
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
I know at least one person on a TN who is desperate to change to an H1-B. The TN insists that you remain in the same job. Some firms will work with you and change all the responsibilities and everything under the same job title, but there are plenty horror stories about working under a TN.

Not to warn you off - I think the market for good international candidates is improving significantly.

It's been a while since I've had to deal with immigration issues, but how is the TN any worse than an H1-B? You can't change jobs with an H1-B unless the company files an "application to amend H1-B". The other good thing about the TN is that there is no time limit, unlike an H1-B where you get 6 years then you have leave the country for a year.

Obviously the best scenario is a company hires you under a work visa then immediately starts the green card process.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
The H1-B is company specific. TN is role specific. You can change role within a firm on an H1-B, just they have to file the papers accordingly the next year (advertise and prove it is necessary for the visa). TN you have to change the visa to change the role.
Current Student
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
The H1-B is company specific. TN is role specific. You can change role within a firm on an H1-B, just they have to file the papers accordingly the next year (advertise and prove it is necessary for the visa). TN you have to change the visa to change the role.

Oh I see your point. But my understanding is, to change a TN visa they just write another letter and you get a new visa. You do have to go back through immigration though.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
Sure - the story I have heard is that the interpretation of having the "correct paperwork" for a TN visa is highly dependent on the mood of the official you meet with. There are tales of people being detained for hours trying to prove they are a Consultant (with a Big 4 business card saying "Consultant"). Perhaps it is 6 one, half a dozen the other, but it sounds as though the H1-B has an inherent flexibility that HR are happier to work with in big organizations.
Current Student
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Sure - the story I have heard is that the interpretation of having the "correct paperwork" for a TN visa is highly dependent on the mood of the official you meet with. There are tales of people being detained for hours trying to prove they are a Consultant (with a Big 4 business card saying "Consultant"). Perhaps it is 6 one, half a dozen the other, but it sounds as though the H1-B has an inherent flexibility that HR are happier to work with in big organizations.

Ahh... I could see that. The TN is not that common (since only Canadians can get them, I think Mexicans can get restricted ones), so it makes sense that HR would prefer to go for the trusty old H1-B.

I know when I moved to the US, HR was quick to switch me over to an H1-B as well.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
I am glad we are at an understanding! You as a Canadian, me trying to present concerns of a fellow Canadian who graduated about three years ago. It sounds as though the TN is great as an option, but not the best one if you have a full array of choices. Graduating 08/09/10 restricted those somewhat.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93450 posts
GMAT Tutor
1898 posts