Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 00:16 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 00:16
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Best B schools for mba -marketing [#permalink]
Kudos
I keep hearing really good things about Indiana for CPG
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ya but is it possible for me to get into these universities with 2 years experience
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
ruturaj wrote:
ya but is it possible for me to get into these universities with 2 years experience

Should be no problem at Indiana. At Kellogg, I think it would be harder.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The quality of that experience matters too. IE How much leadership potential, accomplishments, etc. If you have a strong undergrad record, you can probably squeak into an interview.

Then again, you're young. So if you blow out the GMAT (ie 750+), many of these schools might just knock themselves over in the rush to get you....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
method wrote:
I keep hearing really good things about Indiana for CPG

I will be studying consumer marketing at Kelley starting this August. :-D One of the good things is there are typically about 75 or so folks who pursue marketing (consumer and B2B) every year so there is a critical mass of potential MBA hires. This provides a strong incentives for companies to actively recruit from Kelley.

A lot of it depends on what type of target company one is looking for.

In particular, Kelley seems to have the strongest connections in:

CPG -- Kelley has about the deepest connections to brand positions at the major CPG companies than any other school. Plus, there are a lot of people going there from Kelley, so you have the critical mass for the CPG companies to want to push hard to have a presence with Kelley students and the school.

Midwest-based Retail Companies -- Deep connections with most of the large retailers in the Midwest, including the likes of Target, Sears and Best Buy.

Durables -- Deep connections with Whirlpool (people go there every year and a top exec is a Kelley grad) and I know there are Kelley people at the major US auto companies as well as Toyota.

Services -- Deep connections with Nationwide (Columbus, OH) and (lately) GM OnStar (Meto Detroit), among others

Pharma/Nutritionals -- Places students every year at Eli Lilly (no surprise there), Abbott (it has several different US locations that marketing folks go to, depending on the industry within Abbott), Mead Johnson Nutritionals, Pfizer, and a few others.

As already noted, if your GMAT is up to par, I would think 2 years of WE would still be doable at Kelley, provided that it is a solid 2 years with good leadership experience, etc.

Cheers,
Tom
Manager
Manager
Send PM
can u please let me know what are the specialized fields in marketing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey,

Has anyone considered the Wisconsin School of Business? They have a specialized MBA program with three areas of interest for marketing. They have 1. Supply Chain, 2. Marketing Research, and 3. Brand and Product Management. If you're seriously interested in any of these three areas, this is probably the top MBA program to apply to. I know the Brand and Product Management program has placed 100% of their students in internships and i'd guess 98% of their students into FT opportunities. The Brand and Product Management specialization works with companies like P&G, WhiteWave, General Mills, Kimberly-Clark, S.C. Johnson, Johnson & Johnson, American Express, and Intuit. I've looked into Indiana and the other huge MBA programs but they seem so... HUGE. Plus, it seems like you'd get the same placement into large CPG comapnies for 1/3 the price of an MBA at Wisconsin.

I'd suggest visiting the campus'; Madison, Kelloog, Michigan, etc... and seeing where you're the most comfortable. They're all exceptional programs.

I know Madison's average GMAT is 660-670? I've seen different stats on different websites, so you'd have a better change getting in there than a Kellogg or Duke anyway. Plus- in my research- it seems like a hidden gem that would out shine those programs anyway.

That's my two cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I'm also interested in schools with strong marketing programs, and some other schools that have come up in my research so far have been: Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Duke, and Ross. That might be a good starting point as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
hellen2012 wrote:
I know the Brand and Product Management program has placed 100% of their students in internships and i'd guess 98% of their students into FT opportunities.

Madison is one of my favorite places to live, especially during the summers. Lake Mendota is just gorgeous.

I'm a bit curious about the placement numbers, it seems very high. Do you know the break down of the jobs they are placed into? I know some schools play with employment stats to increase it, such as offer unpaid internship, paying graduates a meager amount to work in non-MBA roles at the schools, paying companies to hire its graduates on a trial basis, etc.

For marketing in general, I believe the consensus for the top 2 are Kellogg and Fuqua, of course, with a higher price tag than Wisconsin.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JeremyLin,

Yeah, not 100% sure about the numbers for all of the WSoB- I only know the Brand and Product Management numbers because that's what I am interested in.

For the Brand Program: They had shared this with me (see attachment) for their class of 2012 internship report, which is really impressive and appears that they don't accept unpaid internships. On their old website they had shown the classes and where they ended up full-time, only 3-5 students didn't have a company listed. They seem to be a program targeting CPG companies but some of their students had gone to companies like HP, Intuit, Boston Scientific, etc...

I have looked into those schools too. They seem pretty stellar as well, but I'm surprised by the Brand program at WI. I'd suggest looking into it at the very least.

Good luck with your MBA search!
Attachments

CBPM 2012 FINAL internship report.pdf [130.03 KiB]
Downloaded 136 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

Would anyone have a list of 1 year MBA both for USA/International with a specialization in Marketing ?

I am into IT Sales with 10 years of total work experience. Hence looking at a 1 year full time MBA only.

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kellogg is one of the top business schools for marketing. So if that is your consideration, Kellogg should be at the top of your list.
GMAT Club Bot