Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 14:21 It is currently 19 May 2024, 14:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

What has been your highest score so far and what was the V/Q split?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
580. I got a 41Q/28V. I was and am still surprised at my verbal. I don't come from a math background. I was a poli sci major in college. I think my problem might me that I've spent years perfecting the art of skimming and now I can't do that on the test.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have you tried LSAT reading passages for practice?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
No I haven't tried that. Is there any prep book that you would recommend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
have you been through the OG? if so do you understand why you got certain questions wrong? this is critical for success. Id get the error log from here and get cracking on the verbal section and mark down anything I got wrong, was unsure of or slow on and redo those once per week. If you are particularly bad in a certain aspect (SC for example) Id go over the ones you got right as well. Be sure you are timing yourself when doing problems.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
HeyTan: what percentile is a 41Q
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone of the advice. I think I really need to go thru the verbal very slowly. I was looking at my past scores and the verbal has pretty much remained the same. Need to up that score. Will go thru the OG book and not SKIM!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
Verbal score [#permalink]
hi,
i am planning to give my GMAT again.It gives me a sigh of relief that with 580 you got waitlisted in columbia.i have applied to columbia with 590 my quant was 47 (81%), so u think i have a considerable chance of getting thru Columbia?
thanks
vivek
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello

I'm not sure about your chances with Columbia. For my application I knew that I wasn't the typical applicant so I knew that would help. I'm not from finance so I was hoping that they wouldn't expect me to get an 800. I also know another girl who got a reconsider later from Columbia on a 530. She wasn't the typical applicant and I know that if she raised her score, she would have been in (her score dropped). So it depends on the rest of your application. My theory is that top schools can do what they like and if they like the rest of your application they will consider you. I think that schools that are still climbing in the rankings are much more concerned with data points. I belive the lowest GMAT score of last years incoming class at Stanford was a 540. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi,
it's really astonishing that with a 540 a person got through stanford.A piece of advice increase your quant score because while i was having a conversatiobn with a admission director of kellog's he told me that while evaluating GMAT score more stress is given on Quant score and if quant score is near the 80% percentile, it's considered quite good by the adcom.hope this helps

tan4479 wrote:
Hello

I'm not sure about your chances with Columbia. For my application I knew that I wasn't the typical applicant so I knew that would help. I'm not from finance so I was hoping that they wouldn't expect me to get an 800. I also know another girl who got a reconsider later from Columbia on a 530. She wasn't the typical applicant and I know that if she raised her score, she would have been in (her score dropped). So it depends on the rest of your application. My theory is that top schools can do what they like and if they like the rest of your application they will consider you. I think that schools that are still climbing in the rankings are much more concerned with data points. I belive the lowest GMAT score of last years incoming class at Stanford was a 540. Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Help! Need to take the GMAT again in a month [#permalink]
Hi tan4479,
can you tell me how was your application unique? did you make it to Columbia? do you think it (unique app)will apply to me, as I have been told to take gmat again. see below my profile details.
I am a 25 year old female from India and applying to US business schools in 2012. I have a GMAT of 640 (Q:45 / V:34 / AWA:4). I have worked for 4 years as a marketing executive in India in the hospitality industry. I have worked for two different hotel groups 1) 1 yr at a large single hotel located in the commercial center in the capital city of India 2) ~3 yrs at a large multi-national and multi-brand hotel chain, with responsibility for nationwide (India) marketing. I had hit a ceiling at my company and without an MBA they were not willing to promote me further or give me additional responsibilities. So I quit and for last 2 months, I have been working as a full-time volunteer for an NGO for differently-abled and underprivileged children. By the time I join a business school (hopefully), I would have worked at this NGO for almost 1 year. I am passionate about dance and was part of a professional dance group for 5 years (alongside my college and job). Both at college and as part of this dance group, I have performed at multiple shows with audiences of 1,000+ people and won many awards. I have an undergraduate degree in English (Hons.) where I studied English. I was very active in my college’s dance and literary society. Indian colleges do not have a GPA system. I would consider myself a firm mid-tier performer academically. I am very keen on continuing a career in marketing.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help! Need to take the GMAT again in a month [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37454 posts