Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 19:40 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 19:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Declined Promotion [#permalink]
Well it sounds like a story that would fit well with the "Tell us about a time you turned down an opportunity. What was the outcome? Would you make the same decision now?" essay question.

What's done is done and you can't go back and change it now. However, I think this is a case of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. There is no guarantee that you will get into b-school this year. Yes, you intend to leave for school, but that that doesn't mean you will. As someone who has turned down many opportunities because I didn't INTEND to stick around, I know that you can often find yourself in the same exact place a year later with no progress made. I understand your concern for your company and its clients, but sometimes you have to think about what's best for you. And I don't even mean that from an application standpoint (though it doesn't hurt), but moreso from a professional development angle. Fall 2012 is still pretty far away and that's 9-12 months of learning and new experiences that you won't have. Even though I'm applying to school (and very much so want to get in and actually GO), I'm still taking job opportunities from my present employer. As long as we are our employees at our company we deserve all of the benefits that come along with it. You earned that promotion and unless it locked you into a longterm contract with your company, you have every right to take it and leave a year later. JMHO.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Sometimes being "noble" isn't the best man... honestly, like Cheet, I'm taking all opportunities. I actually am in line for another promotion come spring time and I expect to take it even with intent on leaving by August... for all the work I put in... the added pay for the 4 or 5 months is something I could definitely use
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Just chiming in to support the OP's decision to decline the offer. It's the kind of thoughtful decision that many Americans wish was more commonplace in Corporate America. You sacrificed individual opportunity to act responsibly for the customer and company, and that's to be applauded vigorously.

If you have long-term goals or character traits which emphasize corporate social responsibility, I think there's a possible essay tie-in here. If you're light on resume promotions, you could mention this in the optional. But I suspect that if this is indicative of your character, it'll shine through your essays and interviews.

Cheers and good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I think it's probably the right thing to do as well, however, I'm not sure that it really matters for the purposes of your application. Unless you're in a profession where the admissions committee will know when you should've been promoted (ie promotions are typically on a schedule), I don't really think you need to mention it at all. Just show in your app that you've had increasing levels of responsibility. If you were asked for some reason (which I can't see happening), you could then explain yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
you could also possibly turn this into an ethics decision. You could have very easily enriched yourself and put your company at risk in the future. However, you decided to do the ethical thing and turn down the promotion at the expense of your career.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3085 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
The ethics angle is a bit of a stretch; what you did was altruistic, but (at least as you tell it) it was the only "right" decision. Ideally, ethics questions should involve picking between two "wrong" answers; not simply doing the right thing.

Its not as cut and dry but reminds me of the kid who wrote in his HBS app that he had the opportunity to cheat on his income taxes many times but didn't. Boy was that a fun application. He posted it online for everyone to see, wish I still had the link.

All that said, I'd have taken the promotion. For starters, you aren't yet admitted - and you may not be. Second, you could have easily worked out a transition plan if and when the admit showed up with at least 6 months notice. Thats ample time to manage expectations with clients.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3085 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
I appreciate all the input guys. I feel good, personally, about my decision. Whether or not the decision was the right thing to do from an application stand point remains to be seen. I understand that I may or may not get in to business school (hopefully it's the former), but I don't really have any intention of staying at my current position anyway as I have been in the same company since graduating college. It's time for me to move on.

In any case, good luck to everyone else with their apps!
GMAT Club Bot