Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:17

Going on Right now:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists typically do their most creative work before the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 282

Scientists typically do their most creative work before the [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:59) correct 51% (01:51) wrong based on 122 sessions
Scientists typically do their most creative work before the age of forty. It is commonly thought that this happens
because aging by itself brings about a loss of creative capacity. However, studies show that of scientists who
produce highly creative work beyond the age of forty, a disproportionately large number entered
their field at an older age than is usual
. Since by the age of forty the large majority of scientists have been
working in their field for at least fifteen years, the studies' finding strongly suggests that the real reason why
scientists over forty rarely produce highly creative work is not that they have aged but rather that scientists
over forty have generally spent too long in their field.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface playwhich of the following roles?

(A) The first is a claim, the accuracy of which is at issue in the argument; the second is a conclusion drawn on
the basis of that claim.

(B) The first is an objection that has been raised against a position defended in the argument; the second is
that position.

(C) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the
second is that explanation.

(D) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the
second is a competing explanation that the argument favors.

(E) The first provides evidence to support an explanation that the argument favors; the second is that
explanation.

This is a OG question. Pls give your explanations for the Ans.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 344 [0], given: 182

Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work... [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 12:44
The argument begins with the generalized idea that Scientists do their creative work before age of 40, but their creativity declines with their age. The argument then seeks to establish the explanation of this phenomenon for this by providing additional evidences and then concludes that Scientist over 40 spent too long in the field.

Answer choice analysis:
(A) The first is a claim, the accuracy of which is at issue in the argument; the second is a conclusion drawn on the basis of that claim.
-- The accuracy of the first bold part is not at issue, in fact the argument is basing its validating on its claim.
(B) The first is an objection that has been raised against a position defended in the argument; the second is that position.
-- The first bold face is NOT an objection raised against the position/conclusion, rather the argument favors this evidence.
(C) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the second is that explanation.
-- The word "challenges' flips the meaning. This choice specifies that the first bold face challenges the explanation and second bold face and hence is not true.
(D) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the second is a competing explanation that the argument favors.
-- Does the same error as choice (C)
(E) The first provides evidence to support an explanation that the argument favors; the second is that explanation.
-- This is correct! The first bold face does support the explanation/conclusion and second bold face is the explanation why certain phenomenon could be true.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work... [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:12
The wordiness really throws me off. Is there a way to combat this?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 85

Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work... [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
bugzor wrote:
The wordiness really throws me off. Is there a way to combat this?

If you mean the wordiness of the answer choices then you should use splits, just like for sentence correction.

For example if you know the first bold cannot be a claim ignore any choice that says the first part is a claim and so on.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 13

Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work... [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 20:03
Here is how I did this problem (50 seconds on the timer).

Quote:
(A) The first is a claim...

I stopped reading (A) since the first portion is not a claim.

Quote:
(B) The first is an objection...

I stopped reading (B) since the first portion is not an objection.

Quote:
(C) The first is evidence ...

I kept reading further.
Quote:
...that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges...

I stopped reading (C) since I felt that the first portion supported what the argument wanted to say.

Quote:
(D) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges...

I noticed that (D) looks very similar to (C), so I just skipped it. It only took me a second or two.

Here I prepared to read (E) completely and to make sure that it is 100% correct. I also mentally prepared to go back and reconsider the previous choices, just in case I had made a mistake.

Quote:
(E) The first provides evidence to support an explanation that the argument favors; the second is that
explanation.

It took a few seconds to let it sink in and then concluded that it was the right choice. Of course, on real test I would have spent another 30 seconds or another minute to double-check myself.

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work before the [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 23:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work before the   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2014, 23:34