Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [10]
Given Kudos: 183
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: $2 Billion Investment Made by Alumnus-Led Company Expected to Create 2,000 Jobs in Virginia
Recently a Chinese company, Shandong Tranlin Paper Co. Ltd. — chaired by CEO and Darden alum Jerry Zhiyuan Peng (MBA ’03) — announced a $2 billion economic development investment that is projected to create 2,000 new jobs in Virginia.  Tranlin developed an environmentally sustainable process that involves making paper from agricultural residuals and turning the waste byproducts of the paper-making process into organic fertilizer. The investment will mark the inception of Tranlin’s first U.S. manufacturing operation, a major step for the thriving global company.

Peng commented, “The core of the Tranlin model and history can be found in three words that I believe are the future of the Chinese economy and business: innovation, sustainability and entrepreneurship.”

The business values embedded in these three words receive heavy emphasis in the Darden curriculum and are a major influence on the experience of many students.

Demonstrating the strength of the Darden network, Peng has already hired one recent graduate and brought on three current students as summer interns to play a role in this exciting endeavor.

To learn more, read the full article — “Chinese Company Led By U.Va. Darden Graduate Invests $2 Billion and Will Create 2,000 Jobs in Virginia” — or visit our website for additional information on international career opportunities and Darden’s commitment to sustainability.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I'm in for Round 1!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Let the fun start. Good luck everyone.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: MBA Application Essay Advice from Darden’s Admissions Dean
We recently announced our 2014-2015 MBA application essay question:

Describe the most courageous professional decision you have made or most courageous action you have taken at work. What did you learn from that experience?

(500 words maximum)

Sara Neher, assistant dean of MBA Admissions, offers several helpful tips for prospective students in the following video blog including:

• How to approach the essay question
  • Topics to avoid in your essay
  • Insights on what the admissions committee is looking for when reading your essay response

Admissions Dean Video Blog: How to Approach Darden’s 2014-2015 Essay Question

Darden’s MBA application will be available in mid-August. We invite you to learn more about our admissions requirements, upcoming events and opportunities to visit the Darden Grounds on our website.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Visit Darden at Fridays in July
Each summer, the Admissions office welcomes visitors to experience the Darden Grounds throughout the month of July.  The first 2014 “Fridays in July” event will take place on Friday, 11 July at the Darden School of Business.

At the event, prospective students will tour Darden and have the opportunity to meet and chat with current faculty, students and admissions representatives to learn more about the MBA program.  If you can’t make it to the first “Fridays in July” there will be a second event on Friday, 25 July.

After visiting Darden, we encourage you to take some time to explore the beautiful Charlottesville area.  Relax at one of the 30 area wineries or venture into the lively summer atmosphere of the downtown mall .

Admissions representatives will also be hosting events around the world and online. Visit our Events & Receptions webpage throughout the summer and fall to see if Darden is visiting a city near you.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Meet Darden Admissions on the West Coast
We are excited to visit the west coast this month and share more about the Darden MBA. As a program with a strong general management focus and emphasis on innovative thinking and experiential problem-solving, Darden has a lot to offer and we invite you to meet members of our dynamic network at upcoming Admissions events.

MBA Admissions Multi-School Events

22 July 2014
Seattle, WA
Register

23 July 2014
San Diego, CA
Register

24 July 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Register

You will have the opportunity to learn more about the MBA application process and meet representatives from top-ranked business schools. The evening begins with a panel of admissions officers who will offer application tips and advice.

Following the panel, enjoy a networking session, where you will have the opportunity to speak with the admissions officers and alumni to learn more about each school’s unique academic offerings, student life and career services.

View additional Darden events on our website.

The exponential rate of change in technology offers great opportunities for Darden students to deliver immediate impact in the field and for Darden faculty to share their expertise in strategy, design thinking, business ethics and technology.

Over 100 companies travel to Charlottesville, Virginia each year to recruit Darden students, and 12% of the Class of 2013 accepted job offers on the west coast. Our dean and members of our faculty and staff have spent significant time on the west coast cultivating relationships with established companies along with start-ups and incubators. Learn more about Career Development at Darden.

Making the decision to earn your MBA is an important one, and we look forward to sharing more with you about the Darden MBA and the experience that awaits.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Good luck to all of you applying this year! I was admitted to the Class of 2016, but ultimately decided to attend UCLA Anderson. However, I had a great experience visiting Darden, interviewing, and interacting with students, alumni, and faculty. If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
R1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Charlottesville Named Happiest City in America
A recent study led by Harvard researchers ranked the happiest cities in the nation.  Coming in at No. 1 is the scenic and lively city of Charlottesville, Virginia, home to the Darden School of Business.

Newsplex, a local news channel, interviewed members of the community to hear why they believe Charlottesville is the happiest city.  Their answers included the unique food venues, the richly diverse culture and the beautiful scenery.

For more information on the study, watch the news story featuring Darden Associate Director of Admissions Karen Ohen or read the Good Housekeeping article.

Planning to visit Charlottesville in the near future? Check out the visiting Darden webpage for more information!

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Wednesday Admissions Webinars
Beginning in August, instead of a weekly chat, Darden Admissions representatives will host a webinar every other Wednesday at 12:30 – 1:15 p.m. These live, bi-weekly webinars will feature different topics to help you learn more about what distinguishes the Darden experience, faculty and network from other top MBA programs.

The first webinar takes place on Wednesday, 6 August 2014. We hope to see you there!

Why Darden? An Introduction to the Darden MBA
Wednesday, 6 August 2014

12:30 – 1:15 p.m.

Register

Join Director of Admissions Whitney Kestner for this live webinar to learn more about the Darden MBA’s active learning experience, top-ranked faculty and tight-knit alumni network. There will be a 15-minute presentation followed by a 30-minute Q&A session. To participate in this webinar, please register here.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Darden Students Tackle Education Challenges in Summer Internships
This summer, Darden students Rafe Steinhauer, Kat O’Neill and Gaines Johnson are interning at mission-driven organizations focused on Education. The three students are enrolled in the MBA/Master of Education dual-degree program “Innovation in Education Reform.”

This summer they are doing education internships at:

• Building Excellent Schools, a Los Angeles organization that develops urban school leaders and helps establish high-performing schools in America’s poorest communities
  • Education Pioneers, a San Francisco-based organization committed to developing a pipeline of leaders to address the achievement gap in the U.S. education system.
  • The Parthenon Group, a Boston consulting firm whose client list includes an education technology company that aims to create classroom assessment and teaching solutions for classrooms across the United States.
“I came to this degree program with an inspired passion to pursue a career in education specifically addressing inequity in the U.S. education system,” O’Neil said. “In my work this summer, I am continually inspired and motivated by the individuals in Oakland working tirelessly to improve education for their students, which is by no means an easy task, but a critical one nonetheless.”

The MBA/M.Ed. program is offered through a partnership between the Darden School of Business and the Curry School of Education.  It is designed to teach students how to apply business principles to devise solutions for challenges facing education.

Read the full story on the student’s unique experiences and visit the Dual Degrees page for a complete list of dual-degree programs available at Darden.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Webinar: Approaching Darden’s MBA Application
Wednesday, 13 August 2014

12:30 – 1:15 p.m. Eastern Time

Register

What can you do to prepare a strong application for the Darden School of Business? Join Darden Admissions at this special webinar to learn more about what the Admissions Committee looks for in an MBA applicant. Topics include — but are not limited to — Darden’s application process, the essay question, letters of recommendation, and your resume. There will be a 15-minute presentation followed by a 30-minute Q&A session. To participate in this webinar, please register here.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Attend a Forté Forum in a City Near You
The Darden School of Business is a founding member of the Forté Foundation, an organization dedicated to helping more women pursue leadership roles in business. Meet Darden admissions representatives and alumnae this fall at a Forté Forum in your city to learn more about how an MBA can benefit you and your career.

We hope to see you at one of these events!

Register today to: 

• Hear advice and stories from MBA women across multiple industries and career stages
  • Meet women like yourself who are also considering the MBA program
  • Connect with admissions staff from leading business schools in Europe and North America
  • Learn how to finance your MBA

Forum Series Locations & Dates

Boston
18 Aug
Houston
28 Aug

Washington D.C.
19 Aug
Chicago
8 Sep

Atlanta
20 Aug
New York
9 Sep

Miami
21 Aug
New York
10 Sep

Seattle
25 Aug
Toronto
11 Sep

San Francisco
26 Aug
London
7 Oct

Los Angeles
27 Aug

ABOUT FORTÉ FOUNDATION

Forté Foundation is a non-profit consortium of major corporations and top business schools working together to launch women into fulfilling, significant careers through access to business education, career opportunities, and a community of successful women.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Admissions Dean Video Blog: Darden MBA Fall Open Houses
In today’s video blog, MBA Admissions Dean Sara Neher describes what you can expect when you attend an open house at Darden. She also provides recommendations of things to do while you’re visiting Charlottesville, recently recognized as the happiest city in America.

Admissions Dean Video Blog: Darden MBA Fall Open Houses

Darden offers several open houses throughout the fall to help you learn more about the School. Each event includes a full day of programming meant to give you the opportunity to assess your fit with Darden. This year’s events will conclude with a faculty-led discussion on some of Darden’s unique areas of focus including Business in SocietyEntrepreneurshipWomenMilitary and Diversity.

Monday, 1 September 2014Faculty Discussion: The Intersection of Business, Society and Government

Monday, 15 September 2014

Faculty Discussion: Entrepreneurship & Innovation

Monday, 6 October 2014

Faculty Discussion: Women in Business

Monday, 13 October 2014

Faculty Discussion: The Military and the MBA

Friday, 17 October 2014Faculty Discussion: The Importance of Diversity at Darden

Prospective applicants are welcome to attend any one of these open houses and are encouraged to visit on the day that most closely aligns with their interests.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Consulting in Indonesia: An International MBA Experience
Global Field Experiences (GFEs) are MBA electives that give small teams of students the opportunity to provide consulting services to an international company or organization. In these term- or semester-long projects, students work with a member of the Darden faculty to tackle real business problems and propose solutions for their client.

At the beginning or end of each course, you will visit the company on location to build on-the-ground knowledge and to scope the issue at hand. In the video below, Catherine Manfre (MBA ’14) discusses her GFE experience in Jakarta, Indonesia providing consulting services to an agricultural company. While in Indonesia, she had the opportunity to interview different stakeholders to learn more about the company’s impact on the surrounding village.

Video: Consulting in Indonesia — An International MBA ExperienceLearn more about GFEs and other international MBA opportunities on the Darden website.

MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Darden MBA Application is Live now.

Good luck to all of you!! :)
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Darden’s 2014-15 MBA Application is Live
Darden’s MBA application for the Class of 2017 is live, and we’re excited to get to know you through this process. As you approach the application, the Darden Admissions Committee would like to offer a few tips:

Video Blog: MBA Admissions Dean Application Advice 2014-15

You can also view a recording of a recent webinar with Associate Director of Admissions Katherine Alford for additional admissions advice. We will continue to offer webinars every other Wednesday throughout the year to help you learn more about Darden.

2014-15 Full-Time MBA Application Deadlines

Round 1: 10 October 2014

Round 2: 7 January 2015

Round 3: 1 April 2015

Click Here to Start Your Application

We look forward to reading your application!

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts