Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 893 [760]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618864 [240]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [90]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2286 [69]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters who each [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [51]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters who each [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
siddhans wrote:

What was the number of voters who responded “favorable” for both candidates?

(1) The number of voters who did not respond “favorable” for either candidate was 40.

(2) The number of voters who responded “unfavorable” for both candidates was 10.

A lot of the information in the table just serves as a distraction here. The first column of the table gives us a standard 2-circle Venn diagram: those people who like M, those people who like N, and those people who like both. We want to know how many like both. If we know exactly how many people are in our diagram (i.e. how many people responded 'favourable' to at least one candidate), we can answer that question. Statement 1 tells us that 40 of the 100 people are *not* in our diagram, so 60 people must be in the diagram, and that info is sufficient. I can't draw a Venn diagram here, but I'd fill it in as follows:

Favorable for M only: 40 - x
Favorable for both M and N: x
Favorable for N only: 30 - x

From Statement 1 I know these three quantities add to 60, which gives me one equation in one unknown.

Statement 2 doesn't tell you how many people are in the diagram, so is not sufficient.

As for your question about using a 'matrix' or 'formula' here, I wouldn't consider doing either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [33]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters who each [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
TheNona wrote:
still cannot understand ... any body can present a matrix please ? thanks in advance

For all those who are trying to solve this question with matrix approach.

First, as always make a 3x3 matrix with rows and columns corresponding to mutually exclusive options. Notice that there are 3 unknown values in each row/column. So you need 2 or sum of 2 values in a row/column to find the third/desired value.

Attachment:
File comment: 3x3 matrix
3x3matrix.PNG
3x3matrix.PNG [ 4.43 KiB | Viewed 64746 times ]

Now, Statement 1 tells you the no. of voters who did not respond favorable for either of the candidates. This means, Not Fav = Unfavorable + Not Sure.
For simplicity, convert the 3x3 matrix to a 2x2 matrix with choices as "Fav" and "Not Fav".
Attachment:
File comment: 2x2 matrix
2x2matrix.PNG
2x2matrix.PNG [ 3.64 KiB | Viewed 63896 times ]

Now, given the no. of Not Favorable responses = 40, you can easily fill up the rest of the matrix to get to the answer.

Statement 2, gives you only the no. of unfavorable responses = 10. Remember, you need at least 2 sum of 2 other values to find the desired value. You can put it in the 3x3 matrix, to find out that the statement 2 is clearly insufficient.
Attachment:
File comment: 3x3 matrix for statement 2
3x3matrix statement 2.PNG
3x3matrix statement 2.PNG [ 4.47 KiB | Viewed 63335 times ]

Hope this helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [30]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheNona wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the great explanation . In fact what I was struggling with is the insufficiency of B . Cannot understand why ?

Let's consider statement 2:

(2) The number of voters who responded “unfavorable” for both candidates was 10.

So this means that 90 people replied "favorable" or "not sure" to at least one of the candidates.

Also, going back to the table in the question,
Unfavorable for candidate M = 20
Unfavorable for candidate N = 35
Unfavorable for both = 10
Unfavorable for at least one = 20 + 35 - 10 = 45

So, all we know from here is the following:
1. 10 people responded "unfavorable" to both candidates
2. 35 (= 45 - 10) people responded "unfavorable to one candidate and "favorable" or "not sure" to the other.
3. 55 people responded with "favorable" or "not sure" to both the candidates.

Now we don't know the split between "favorable" and "not sure".
It is possible that 10 people responded "favorable" to both and it is also possible that that number is 15.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
I had trouble to understand this table, bc it says that they asked 100 people, but we have 200 answers.

Can someone please explain me that?

thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [8]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
we are seeing 200 responses because each voter casted two votes , one for each candidate.

i.e 1 voter - 2 votes
100 voters - 200 votes

1. Sufficient

NF+NS = 40

F = 100 - 40 = 60

Assume this F as big overlapping set and now look at the each individual values of this set from the table.

i.e 40+30 - both = F total = 60

=> both = 10

2. not sufficient

because we only know about NF. we dont know anything about the NS and hence we cannot calculate both with the given info.

Answer is A.

144144 wrote:
I had trouble to understand this table, bc it says that they asked 100 people, but we have 200 answers.

Can someone please explain me that?

thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
still cannot understand ... any body can present a matrix please ? thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TheNona wrote:

I am assuming you are unable to figure out why statement 1 is sufficient. Think of it this way:

(1) The number of voters who did not respond "Favorable" for either candidate was 40.

This means that 60 voters responded 'Favorable' for at least one candidate, right? Now we need to find how many responded Favorable to both.

Now forget this question and think of another sets question:

There are 60 voters in a constituency. Each voter has to vote 'favorable' for at least one of the two candidates - M and N. Candidate M gets 40 favorable votes and candidate N gets 30 favorable votes. How many voters voted 'favorable' for both the candidates?

It's an easy enough question with 2 sets. You will just use
60 = 30 + 40 - Both
Both = 10

This is exactly what is required of you in this question. Just that there is a lot of other data to distract you. You know that 60 voters voted favorable for atleast one candidate. You also know that M got 40 favorable votes and N got 30 favorable votes (from the table int he question). you just need to find the value of 'both'. Focus on what you have to find, and the given relevant info.

Thanks Karishma for the great explanation . In fact what I was struggling with is the insufficiency of B . Cannot understand why ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
I didn't see this explicitly mentioned on this thread or the OA but....

For Statement 1, is this the formula that was used??

A + B - both + neither = total

40 + 30 - X + 40 = 100

X = 10

If so, I'm confused why the total is 100 and not 70, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [3]
Send PM
Kudos