Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:53

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So confusing...need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 08:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Scientist have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth,a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10.000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

a)extending

b)extends

c)extended

d)it extended

e)is extending

i am between c and a but i couldnt decided the action is done or still continue. That fungus extended michigan forest or it is still extending. there is a word indicate now-recently- bu the discover has been made recently not the fungus so i am confused about the tense. How we can understand it?? can anyone explain to me plz?

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
SC isn't my forte but I am going to venture a guess at "E" because of the parallelism that it preserves (is an interwoven..., ...is extending).

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 09:16
fatihaysu wrote:
Scientist have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth,a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10.000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

a)extending

b)extends

c)extended

d)it extended

e)is extending

i am between c and a but i couldnt decided the action is done or still continue. That fungus extended michigan forest or it is still extending. there is a word indicate now-recently- bu the discover has been made recently not the fungus so i am confused about the tense. How we can understand it?? can anyone explain to me plz?

Answer is 'e'. I remember encountering this question on one of the practice exams (OG i guess). The explanation wasn't really sound but I think that, "... oldest living..." makes the option to be present participle and "is extending" fits in. I am interested to know what the answer is and if the explanation is any different.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 13:42
Answer is NOT "E" Guyz.

Can you tell me that how did you decided that it is still countinuing. Even E is wrong you decided that extending didnt finish in the past it is still keep going right? how did you decided? according to which evidience?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 15:19
This post received
KUDOS
the answer is C

This problem is parallelism with verbs.

The word spawned (past tense) is the first half, and the second half of the sentence extending doesn't match because its present tense.

extended makes the sentence perfectly parallel
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 15:33
Most interesting.I selected d. as my choice because of the descriptive verbs are referenced in past tense with the one nearest to the underlined portion the "ing" ending is a gereund would that not constitute and error in the flow of grammar.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 00:46
Hey guyz

I can see that i am not alone to be confused. Actually it makes me little bit happy:)

Answers is neither C nor D guyz...

The answer is "A"

I was between extended and extending. If the action is done so it will be "extended". If the extention is still on track,it will be extending. But i couldnt decide it is done or not....

I hope somebody can explain it.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:
I was between extended and extending. If the action is done so it will be "extended". If the extention is still on track,it will be extending. But i couldnt decide it is done or not....

Ah, okay. "A" was it? See: I'm no good at SC. But I might be able to help you where you're tripping up.

I wonder first though, are you a native English speaker? For me anything but "extending" just sounds weird. krishna3891's explaining as to the tense of the verb seems solid but I'll try to explain it in a more colloquial (and possibly less helpful, lol) way.

The fact the the scientists discovered the "oldest/biggest living" fungus or whatever means that we're talking about something in the present ("living"). They're not telling a story about the oldest/biggest thing, they found it. The part that must be tripping you up is where it goes on to talk about it was created (evidenced by the "ago"). I think the trick is to recognize that the part about the Michigan forest is an attribute of the fungus not a continuation of the whole 10,000 years ago part. The "and" that separates them does the trick. If the passage was meaning to talk about the ACTION of the spore growing some 10,000 years ago (and which point you might raise the question as to whether or not it was still growing), it might read something like this:

...a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10.000 years ago that eventually grew to extend for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

Or something along those lines. But the way it is presented in the question, we can chop out the whole "ago" part and still have a proper and sensible sentence (ignore red stuff):

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth,a giant fungus [[that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10.000 years ago and]] extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

You wouldn't say " ...a giant fungus extended for..." in this case because it's alive now, they found it now, so it is living, it is existing, it is extending.

Taking out the red part there might also help explain why E is wrong (tossing in an "is" now looks weird), but I'm not sure that's the exact reason why it doesn't work. If you had put the "is" from E into the original sentence and plopped it into a book no one would care/notice (Grammar Nazis notwithstanding). Anyway, in sum, the key part to deciding between the tenses without a deep understanding of English grammar is to recognize that the "ago" part and the "Michigan forest" parts are two separate attributes and not linked together by the "extend" verb. I think. It makes sense to me and I might just be blowing smoke but I hope it helps.

(This is why I stay out of SC, lol)

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:02
dalmba wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

Ah, okay. "A" was it? See: I'm no good at SC. But I might be able to help you where you're tripping up.

I wonder first though, are you a native English speaker? For me anything but "extending" just sounds weird. krishna3891's explaining as to the tense of the verb seems solid but I'll try to explain it in a more colloquial (and possibly less helpful, lol) way.

The fact the the scientists discovered the "oldest/biggest living" fungus or whatever means that we're talking about something in the present ("living"). They're not telling a story about the oldest/biggest thing, they found it. The part that must be tripping you up is where it goes on to talk about it was created (evidenced by the "ago"). I think the trick is to recognize that the part about the Michigan forest is an attribute of the fungus not a continuation of the whole 10,000 years ago part. The "and" that separates them does the trick. If the passage was meaning to talk about the ACTION of the spore growing some 10,000 years ago (and which point you might raise the question as to whether or not it was still growing), it might read something like this:

...a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10.000 years ago that eventually grew to extend for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

Or something along those lines. But the way it is presented in the question, we can chop out the whole "ago" part and still have a proper and sensible sentence (ignore red stuff):

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth,a giant fungus [[that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10.000 years ago and]] extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

You wouldn't say " ...a giant fungus extended for..." in this case because it's alive now, they found it now, so it is living, it is existing, it is extending.

Taking out the red part there might also help explain why E is wrong (tossing in an "is" now looks weird), but I'm not sure that's the exact reason why it doesn't work. If you had put the "is" from E into the original sentence and plopped it into a book no one would care/notice (Grammar Nazis notwithstanding). Anyway, in sum, the key part to deciding between the tenses without a deep understanding of English grammar is to recognize that the "ago" part and the "Michigan forest" parts are two separate attributes and not linked together by the "extend" verb. I think. It makes sense to me and I might just be blowing smoke but I hope it helps.

(This is why I stay out of SC, lol)

Hey buddy

Actually you helped me but i dont understand your "ago" part:D.Anyway you helped me by emphasizing "the oldest/biggest LIVING" part. I cought it . I didnt percieve that it is living fungus so it is extending. As i mentioned before i was between A and C cuz E or D sound wierd.

Thank you it was really so important for me. Now i know that i have to read questions carefully

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:11
fatihaysu wrote:
Hey buddy

Actually you helped me but i dont understand your "ago" part:D.Anyway you helped me by emphasizing "the oldest/biggest LIVING" part. I cought it . I didnt percieve that it is living fungus so it is extending. As i mentioned before i was between A and C cuz E or D sound wierd.

Thank you it was really so important for me. Now i know that i have to read questions carefully

Glad to have helped. I can try to re-explain the "ago" business but I'll leave that up to you to decide since I might risk reintroducing confusion into the whole mess if I do. ;)

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:13
sentence-correction-confusing-94628.html

can you check that one plz if you have time?

And I dont want to confused myself about "AGO" part so leave it like that:D you already helped me:D

thanks agian. Waiting for your answer to the other it is almost same.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:37
Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer,bringing to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since trasnplants from norway began in 1975.

a) bringing

b)and brings

c)and it brings

d)and it brought

e)and brought

hey dalmba can you answer this and explain to me plz where i am tripping up:)

i am between a and e.

Manager
Manager

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 10:21
fatihaysu wrote:

I tossed in two cents in the new topic you made, but it was more of a "sorry this question's too tough for me" than a "here's the answer and why."

Got any CR's that are giving you trouble? Heh.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 12:20
dalmba wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

I tossed in two cents in the new topic you made, but it was more of a "sorry this question's too tough for me" than a "here's the answer and why."

Got any CR's that are giving you trouble? Heh.

yeah i have 10 of them i will upload tomorrow, and will wait for your explanation

Manager
Manager

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 12:22
fatihaysu wrote:
yeah i have 10 of them i will upload tomorrow, and will wait for your explanation

Goodness, I'll not want to miss that! I should be puttering around on here tomorrow so upload away :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 04:20
I think that B can also be the answer

The two clauses are telling something about a giant fungus.
It makes sense it we rephrase it as follows

Scientist have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus [that.....10000 years ago] and [that extends for....forest].
many times second 'that' is optional.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: So confusing...need help [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 07:26
dalmba wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

Goodness, I'll not want to miss that! I should be puttering around on here tomorrow so upload away :)

sentence-correction-confusing-94685.html

sentence-94677.html#p728553

dalmba can you look at these plz?

i have just decided to finish Sc first then i will upload my CR questions

Re: So confusing...need help   [#permalink] 23 May 2010, 07:26