GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 16:50
Great question. One cannot get this right without getting the meaning fully.

E it is, but after spending a lotime of time!

I think if there were one answer choice with 'extended' and everything else correct, I would have got this incorrect. The incorrect answer choices seem to give multiple opportunities for elimination.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 00:37
why cant option B be the correct answer? I dont see any problem with this option. My analysis of this option is as follows:
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended

"was the Incan highway" and "extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili." are the elements of the list. These elements are parallel in every way and also play the same function with respect to the subject "The greatest road system ", i.e., both are describing the subject.

"over 2,500 miles in length" is a modifier correctly modifying Incan Highway.

Please let me know where am I going wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 00:39
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Structurally B is completely wrong. "The Incan Highway" should be placed between two commas as it has been appropriately done in E. Moreover, "long" and "extend" do not belong to the same list of items. Hence, "and" is not needed here at all.

why cant option B be the correct answer? I dont see any problem with this option. My analysis of this option is as follows:
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended

"was the Incan highway" and "extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili." are the elements of the list. These elements are parallel in every way and also play the same function with respect to the subject "The greatest road system ", i.e., both are describing the subject.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 06:13
Hope your preparation is going well.
Let us try to solve this question.
Choice A - has a verb fragment, the subordinating clause starting with which has no subject
Choice B- parallel structure not established, you can't connect a phrase with a clause
Choice C - road system does not have a verb
choice D-The intended meaning of the sentence changes
Choice E serves as the right answer. This is the beauty of POE, keep eliminating the incorrect choices, the remaining option serves as the right answer.
Hope it helps.
Keep practicing.
Consistency is the key.
PythaGURUS Faculty Team

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 21:45
scorpio7 wrote:
Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

(A) Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending

(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended

(C) Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended

(D) Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended

(E) Columbus, the Incan Highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending

Intern
Intern
B
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 10:49
I know i am wrong but someone please correct me with my cutting the fluff technique:

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

(A)Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending -- Looks Fine
(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended (**extended seems to be verb and not a VERB-ED MODIFIER) (and extended --- leaves sentence incomplete)

(C)Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended (**extended seems to be verb and not a VERB-ED MODIFIER) ( No Verb)
(D)Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended (**extended seems to be verb and not a VERB-ED MODIFIER) Odd sentence constuction

(E) Columbus, the Incan Highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending Looks Fine

Frankly i think in (C),(D) and (E) ,the Incan Highway, is also a modifier and should be removed from core sentence but then i am not too sure.

Please suggest on above eliminations and technique of cutting the fluff
GMAT Club Bot
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of &nbs [#permalink] 21 Aug 2018, 10:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap