GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 19:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 08:38
Top Contributor
scorpio7 wrote:
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.

(A) Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended
(C) Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended
(D) Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended
(E) Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending

SC37620.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

(A) The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.
The part in red is supposed to be a relative clause, but it lacks a verb.
ELIMINATE A

(B) The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, (need something here to bridge HIGHWAY and the following modifiers) over 2,500 miles in length, and extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.
ELIMINATE B

(C) The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.
The crossed out blue portion of the sentence modifies SYSTEM, and the crossed out red portion modifies HIGHWAY. When we ignore the modifiers, we get "The greatest road system," which lacks a verb
ELIMINATE C

(D) The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.
was extended is illogical.

(E) The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 23:24
(A) Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending -- The Incan Highway (Subject) does not have a verb.

(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, which had extended -- The usage of past perfect tense suggests that it existed before being built? Awkward.

(C) Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended -- SV error. The Incan highway (subject) has no verb.

(D) Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended -- Incorrect. noun 1, noun 2, verb 1. The verb 1 (was extended) does not gel with noun 2 (being over.. in length) which leads to SV error. Gerund basically.

(E) Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending -- Correct choice.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2020, 06:35
egmat GMATNinja
There is a doubt with the existing question.
The correct option
Quote:

Here, extending is verb-ing modifier modifying highway. My doubt is as per the concept of Verb-ing modifier it has a doer, and here how highway can be a doer and extends itself? Also, it is not clear how and why aspect of the Verb-ing modifier.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2020, 16:25
nkshmalik1 wrote:
egmat GMATNinja
There is a doubt with the existing question.
The correct option
Quote:

Here, extending is verb-ing modifier modifying highway. My doubt is as per the concept of Verb-ing modifier it has a doer, and here how highway can be a doer and extends itself? Also, it is not clear how and why aspect of the Verb-ing modifier.

The verb "to extend" can certainly have an object. For example:

• "The IRS extended the tax deadline." - What was extended? The tax deadline. Who extended the tax deadline? The IRS.
  • "The opera singer extended her arms as she sang the final dramatic note." - What was extended? The singer's arms. Who extended them? The opera singer.

But we can also use the verb "to extend" WITHOUT an object. For example:

"The wheat fields extend for miles into the distance." - Nothing/nobody is actually stretching the wheat fields. And the wheat fields are not actually stretching anything themselves. Rather, the wheat fields simply stretch out in distance.

We have something similar in this question. Nothing/nobody actually extends the highway. Instead, the highway simply stretches out in distance.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2020, 07:40
I have a couple of questions :

1) My question is why cant i consider the extended as a past participle that is modifying the Incan highway?
I initially thought that "over 2,500 miles ... and extended (past participle) " will act as a modifier modifying the Incan highway.

2) I do understand that if i consider extended as a past participle , then i will have a prepositional phrase "over 2,500 miles..." parallel to a past participle modifier. So i can eliminate this option for nonparallel structure. Is my understanding correct ?

GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 05:30
Abhishekrao12 wrote:
I have a couple of questions :

1) My question is why cant i consider the extended as a past participle that is modifying the Incan highway?
I initially thought that "over 2,500 miles ... and extended (past participle) " will act as a modifier modifying the Incan highway.

2) I do understand that if i consider extended as a past participle , then i will have a prepositional phrase "over 2,500 miles..." parallel to a past participle modifier. So i can eliminate this option for nonparallel structure. Is my understanding correct ?

GMATNinja

There is a subtle difference between these two options:

1) "The Incan Highway, extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile, ..." - This implies that someone or something extended the highway. As described in this post, that isn't quite what we want here.
    2) "The Incan Highway, extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile, ..." - With "extending", there is no implication that someone or something extended the highway. Instead, the highway simply stretches out in distance.

Similarly, if we write, "The highway was extended...", we suggest that someone or something stretched out the highway, and that isn't the right meaning here.

And, yes, you could also argue that the parallelism is off here. But even if we get rid or the word "over" in choice (C) and make it, "... which was 2,500 miles in length and extended...", we'd still have the same issues described above.

I hope that helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of   [#permalink] 28 May 2020, 05:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics