Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 610 Q34 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 13:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:09) correct 29% (01:20) wrong based on 145 sessions
The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders led scientists to believe that an era that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks existed.

A. that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks
B. dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved into basking sharks
C. had been dominated by Leedsichthys that are now evolved into basking sharks
D. that was dominated by Leedsichthys that presently are now evolved currently into basking sharks
E. dominated by Leedsichthys, evolving now into basking sharks


I picked a wrong answer, and I still don't know why it's a wrong one :(
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Please don't forget to give Kudos if you like my post! :-)


Last edited by Natics on 07 Nov 2013, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2085
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2118 [5] , given: 30

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 13:53
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Natics wrote:
The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders let scientists to believe that an era that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks existed.

A. that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks
B. dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved into basking sharks
C. had been dominated by Leedsichthys that are now evolved into basking sharks
D. that was dominated by Leedsichthys that presently are now evolved currently into basking sharks
E. dominated by Leedsichthys, evolving now into basking sharks

Dear Natics,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, I think word is incorrect in the prompt -----
The recent discovery .... let scientists to believe that ....
Should this be:
The recent discovery .... led scientists to believe that ....
That would sound much better.

Split #1: redundancy. The combinations "now ... currently" and "presently ... now" are redundant. See:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/920-avoid-redundancy
Choices (A) & (D) are incorrect.

Split #2: The noun "era" has a verb "existed" at the end of the sentence. It doesn't need another verb. Choice (C) makes it also the subject of "had been dominated". A single noun can be the subject of two verbs if the verbs are joined by a conjunction, but we don't have a conjunction here. Choice (C) is incorrect.

These two splits leave (B) & (E). Choice (E) is a disaster. If a species already exists in the present time, then the evolution has already happened, so the construction "evolving now" makes no sense. Furthermore, (E) has two participial phrases one after the other, which seems to suggest that they both modify the same subject, "eras", but that wouldn't work for the second phrase. Choice (E) is extremely awkward and not correct.

The best answer is (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 610 Q34 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 14:04
Hello Mike.

Thanks for your explanation. Now I see that E is really very awkward :)

mikemcgarry wrote:
First of all, I think word is incorrect in the prompt -----


Thanks, I just corrected that word. It must be a typo.
_________________

Please don't forget to give Kudos if you like my post! :-)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 06:21
Dear Mike ,

I have little confusion with your explanation ...

EXISTED - is acting as verb or ed modifier...

If we can break this sentence into different clauses ---

1) The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders let scientists to believe that an era --- S/v aggrement perfect
2) that had been dominated by Leedsichthys (Subject - era , Verb - Dominated) - S/V issue ---> era dominated by leedsi..

3) that have now evolved currently into basking sharks existed (Sub - Era , verb -- ??)

Please clarify doubt ..I have issues with SC ...

Thanks
Archit
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2085
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2118 [0], given: 30

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 10:14
Expert's post
archit wrote:
Dear Mike ,

I have little confusion with your explanation ...

EXISTED - is acting as verb or ed modifier...

If we can break this sentence into different clauses ---

1) The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders let scientists to believe that an era --- S/v aggrement perfect
2) that had been dominated by Leedsichthys (Subject - era , Verb - Dominated) - S/V issue ---> era dominated by leedsi..
3) that have now evolved currently into basking sharks existed (Sub - Era , verb -- ??)

Please clarify doubt ..I have issues with SC ...
Thanks, Archit

Dear archit,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, an important grammar distinction. Some verbs are transitive --- they naturally take a direct object: e.g. write, buy, sell, own, create, destroy, etc. If I say, "I buy ..." , then the reader is expecting: he buys what? Transitive verbs demand a direct object.

By contrast, intransitive verbs are verbs that do not take a direct object: eg. exist, walk, breath, elapse, sleep, etc. I can say, "I exist", but it doesn't make any sense for me to say "I exist something."

This distinction is made more complicated by the fact that many English verbs can be either transitive or intransitive: sing, eat, drink, etc. I can say simply, "She likes to sing" or "She likes to sing songs by Schubert." The verb is natural in either case.

Now, participles. The present participle, the -ing participle, is an active participle. If I say
... the man buying eggs ...
... the man sleeping ....
... the man drinking ....

then, in each case, the "man" is the "subject", the actor, the person performing the action of the verb in the participle. All verbs, transitive and intransitive, have active participles.

The past participle, the -ed participle for regular verbs, is a passive participle. If I say:
... the cake bought on Tuesday ...
... the cake created by the chef ...
... the cake eaten at lunch ....

then in each case, the "cake" is the "object", the receiver of the action, the thing to which the action of the verb happens. A verb can only have a passive participle if it has passive form. A verb can only have a passive form if it can take a direct object --- that is to say, if it is transitive, at least on some occasions. Verbs that are completely intransitive have no passive form and no passive participle.

The verb "to exist" is an intransitive verb. It never takes a direct object. We can use the present participle ("existing") as a modifier, but this verb has no passive form at all. Just as it makes no sense to say:
I existed X
it also makes no sense to say
X was existed by me.
The verb has no sensible passive form. Therefore, it has no past participle modifier. The form "existed" is the past tense form of the verb, but this NEVER can act as a participle, as a noun modifier.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2013
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 21:46
Hi-EGMAT,

i am facing difficulty in understanding this statement particulary " that have now evolved into basking sharks ".

Could you please tell me what have now evolved ? and what is evolved into basking sharks means in this context of the sentence.

Me confuse.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 04-16-2013
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 22:38
Hi,

Please somebody correct me if i am wrong.

In this question the subject is "THE ERA" right?

I also feel that the sentence " that an era that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks"
in this the discussion is about "Leedsichthys" "that have now evolved" have is for plural so b is correct?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2085
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2118 [0], given: 30

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 10:22
Expert's post
arp3it wrote:
Hi,
Please somebody correct me if i am wrong.

In this question the subject is "THE ERA" right?

I also feel that the sentence " that an era that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks"
in this the discussion is about "Leedsichthys" "that have now evolved" have is for plural so b is correct?

Dear arp3it,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, the "recent discovery" is the subject of the main independent clause of the sentence. The independent clause is:
The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders led scientists to believe

The verb "believe" is a verb that takes a "that"-clause. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... t-clauses/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-idiom ... ieve-that/
The subject of the first "that" clause is "an era" and the verb is "existed."

Those of us who are not experts in the study of Leedsichthys may not know whether to treat that word as singular or plural, but all five answer choices treat it as plural, so we don't have to worry about it. That is not the basis of deciding among answer choices, because all five answer choices go the same way.

The OA nests one "that" clause inside another, and the prompt choice, (A), has a triple-decker layering of "that" clauses.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2085
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2118 [0], given: 30

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 10:35
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi-EGMAT,

i am facing difficulty in understanding this statement particulary " that have now evolved into basking sharks ".

Could you please tell me what have now evolved ? and what is evolved into basking sharks means in this context of the sentence.

Me confuse.

Thanks

Dear Nitinaka19,
I didn't see an EGMAT post in this thread, so I will respond to this question. :-)

The phrase in the OA is:
...by Leedsichthys that have now evolved into basking sharks ...
The clause "that have now evolved into basking sharks" is a adjectival phrase, that is, a noun-modifier. As is the general rule, the modifier "touches" the noun it modifies --- it modifies the noun "Leedsichthys." For more on the Modifier Touch Rule, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
One of the tricky aspects of this sentence is its use of difficult scientific vocabulary. Very few GMAT test-takers are going to know what "Leedsichthys" are! What can we infer? We know the scientists were studying "giant plankton feeders," so this entire sentence is about stuff in the ocean. Apparently the "Leedsichthys" are some old extinct fish-things. That's all you need to infer from the sentence. These old extinct fish-things, the "Leedsichthys", "evolved into basking sharks." BTW, the GMAT loves to give SC questions about difficult scientific or historical topics with unfamiliar vocabulary. Don't be intimidated! :-)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 07:10
mikemcgarry wrote:
Natics wrote:
The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders let scientists to believe that an era that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks existed.

A. that had been dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved currently into basking sharks
B. dominated by Leedsichthys that have now evolved into basking sharks
C. had been dominated by Leedsichthys that are now evolved into basking sharks
D. that was dominated by Leedsichthys that presently are now evolved currently into basking sharks
E. dominated by Leedsichthys, evolving now into basking sharks

Dear Natics,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, I think word is incorrect in the prompt -----
The recent discovery .... let scientists to believe that ....
Should this be:
The recent discovery .... led scientists to believe that ....
That would sound much better.

Split #1: redundancy. The combinations "now ... currently" and "presently ... now" are redundant. See:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/920-avoid-redundancy
Choices (A) & (D) are incorrect.

Split #2: The noun "era" has a verb "existed" at the end of the sentence. It doesn't need another verb. Choice (C) makes it also the subject of "had been dominated". A single noun can be the subject of two verbs if the verbs are joined by a conjunction, but we don't have a conjunction here. Choice (C) is incorrect.

These two splits leave (B) & (E). Choice (E) is a disaster. If a species already exists in the present time, then the evolution has already happened, so the construction "evolving now" makes no sense. Furthermore, (E) has two participial phrases one after the other, which seems to suggest that they both modify the same subject, "eras", but that wouldn't work for the second phrase. Choice (E) is extremely awkward and not correct.

The best answer is (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



Hey Mike

your explanations are great and to th epoint.I joined Magoosh beacuse of you.You are great Mike.....:)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2013
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 07:44
Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your attention and provide me the solution, actually saying "Leedsichthys have now evolved into basking sharks " it means what? evolved means convert or developed ...???

Thanks

Nitin
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2085
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2118 [0], given: 30

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 10:34
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your attention and provide me the solution, actually saying "Leedsichthys have now evolved into basking sharks " it means what? evolved means convert or developed ...???

Thanks

Nitin

Dear Nitin,
I'm glad you found the solution helpful. :-)

Your question here goes a little beyond what you need to know for the GMAT, but that's OK. Presumably, what they means by "evolved" is evolution by natural selection. In other words, when paleontologists looked a long time ago (a few hundred million years ago, say), they see many Leedsichthys fossils. The paleontologists see the Leedsichthys fossils for a certain stretch in the fossil record, and then at some point (say, 50 million years ago), they start seeing fossils of something that are only partially like the Leedsichthys. Then, slightly later (say, 40 million years ago), they see something that looks half like a Leedsichthys and half like a basking shark. A little later, they see fossils that look almost entirely like basking sharks. At a certain point in the fossil record, the transitionary fossils disappear, and paleontologists see only remains of the same basking sharks we have today. This is a fantastically long and gradual process.

In a way, we could say that the Leedsichthys, over the course of millions of years, "developed" or "converted" into a basking sharks, but both of those are metaphorical expressions, whereas "evolved" has a sophisticated technical meaning that is precisely correct in this context. Furthermore, these changes do not occur to individual animals: the process is only evident over the course of millions of years.

If evolution by natural selection is something relatively unfamiliar to you, it would be worthwhile to read up a little on it --- perhaps, say, the Wikipedia article about it. It's just good background to have.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Re: The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2014, 10:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The fossil remains of Sinosauropteryx dinosaur recently Vineetk 3 04 Dec 2012, 01:55
4 Archeologist: The discovery of chicken bones in a recently BlueRobin 16 04 Oct 2010, 21:20
The recent discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb by Egyptologists gmatcrook 3 21 Jun 2008, 21:47
Experts publish their posts in the topic The recent discovery of Tutankhamens tomb by Egyptologists prasannar 3 14 Mar 2008, 20:50
The recent discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb by Egyptologists anirban16 2 07 May 2005, 11:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The recent discovery of fossils of giant plankton feeders

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.