Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jun 2015, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1021
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 18:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Raves:
I fathered a son, aced my courses, organized two major club events and a California week-in-cities trip, landed job offers and am this close to landing a dream opportunity. I feel like superman!

Rants:
I don't sleep anymore. I don't exercise anymore . I don't socialize as much as I should. I have forgotten the names of my friends and family members. I feel like a zombie!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 19:20
congrats on being a dad, lhotseface!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 01:11
Again, congrats on sireing a son Ihotseface, that's incredible!

We have a woman in our program who attended every class and team meeting while she was eight months pregnant and finally gave birth the Sunday before Thanksgiving weekend, then returned to classes on the following Monday morning. One can't help but respect those resilient few who successfully start families during the first quarter of b-school without missing a beat.

Paint a giant S on your chest :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 05:53
The CORE semester at MIT is over! MIT really lives up to its quant repuation on the Street. My cohort mates celebrated by having shots of Tequila right there in class immediately after the last exam.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 115
Location: NYC Baby!!!
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 19:31
Thank you guys for you honesty. Keep it coming! I am applying this year for sure, and I am not sure about staying NYC because there is so much going on and commuting in this city is HELL!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 274

Kudos [?]: 1725 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 10:56
updated rants:

rant:
1) !@(#!! !@# this recruiting !@(#!(@#. I'm sick of it already. Here's how it should work: 1@#! you, put me in a room for 8 hours Monday-Thursday and just make me do it all in one week. Companies rotate from room to room interviewing whoever they want and then on Friday I get my answers. None of this drawn out multi-month dinner-every-day crap.
2) I want my sleep back.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 11:38
I am readily finding that the break between semesters doesn't really exist, and is in fact just "no assignments" time.

I had another bank event this morning (4 hours, there place), a full day on valuation tomorrow, and then all the interviews begin next week. Not too sure what to make of it all right now - it seems like the deadlines don't stop until maybe 20 Jan, then we start up again around then anyway.

I better have more time to go drinking next semester, but am assured that I will have.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 274

Kudos [?]: 1725 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 11:43
3underscore wrote:
I am readily finding that the break between semesters doesn't really exist, and is in fact just "no assignments" time.


Same here. I got back from my one week of skiing and have done nothing but cover letters, job applications, interview prep, pre-term assignments for marketing and accounting and practice fit questions and case interviews with other people. I was less busy during finals week than I have been this week... and school starts next week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 13:00
holy moly! :shock:

looks like I'm avoiding the consulting and banking craze when I go to b-school. I was tempted to check out the consulting thing like rhyme is doing, but at this point, I think my efforts are better focused on building connections with startups and VCs...
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 274

Kudos [?]: 1725 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 13:15
kryzak wrote:
holy moly! :shock:

looks like I'm avoiding the consulting and banking craze when I go to b-school. I was tempted to check out the consulting thing like rhyme is doing, but at this point, I think my efforts are better focused on building connections with startups and VCs...


Yea but... keep in mind that breaking into VC is hard and they hire very late in the recruiting cycle.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 13:30
I understand. VCs generally hire in the spring for internships. I don't even know if I want to do it yet, but for the suggestion of a UCLA alum who originally wanted to do entrepreneurship but found VC interesting in his first two quarters at UCLA. It's just something I could look into, but won't be devastated if I don't get it (similar to you and consulting, rhyme). My first and foremost goal is still entrepreneurship, international business, and strategy (short term), which I'm glad does not have this crazy interview process like consulting/banking.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 17:05
This is the major problem for planning to recruit for VC, PE or Hedge Funds. You need balls of steel. You will be pretty much the last person to get an internship, and will watch all the others interested in Finance get themselves set up while you wait.

I don't know many people who can quite manage such a brave move given the past six months. I am sure there are some, but I won't have seen them at recruiting events, will I?
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 19:44
true, though I'll also be gunning for startups internships (whether through the school or personal connections) while everyone is doing consulting/banking interviews. :) VC/Hedge Funds/PE are just something I might try out.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 346
Location: San Francisco
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 19:05
Rants:
- budget totally screwed. Lots of unexpected expenditures (having never traveled abroad before B-school sucks)
- time management is a pain. LOTS of things happening; wherever you are, you're missing something cool elsewhere.
- being 'second-tier' sucks. I want HBS's 800-pound-gorilla feeling.
- career office is struggling to sell us, but I feel they could do much better job.
- most clubs are totally disorganized.
- some professors are booooooring.
- some classes are too basic - looks like same class at Wharton has a 3 times longer syllabus.
- some classmates are retarded. (just a few though.)
- my study group was full of hardcore 4.0 maniacs.

Raves:
- my study group was full of hardcore 4.0 maniacs. With some skill, it eases things up.
- LOTS of collaboration and positive attitude. People are incredibly laid-back.
- most people are damn smart. Some are totally razor-sharp.
- looks like MUCH less stress, pain and frustration than other schools.
- most times, I sleep stable 7-8 hours, work out 3 times a week and travel the roundabouts on weekends.
- LOADS of interesting things to learn. Marketing class was awesome.
- LOTS of clubs - which, being quite disorganized, are an excellent opportunity to exercise your leadership skill.
- 5-week break ROCKS! I'm pretty much idling for 2 weeks now, and will idle more. :-P

Overall: if you don't want to stress your a$$ off, West Coast is your spot. The smell of pot is the most characteristic thing about these places, if you know what I mean, ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 23:47
braindancer wrote:
Rants:
- being 'second-tier' sucks. I want HBS's 800-pound-gorilla feeling.
- career office is struggling to sell us, but I feel they could do much better job.
- most clubs are totally disorganized.


very informative rants and raves braindancer! Thanks! :)

Could you expand on the feeling of being "second-tier"? Is it something that people just think internally or is it something that surfaced when recruiting or interviewing or something else? Right now Haas is definitely one of my top choices, but I am just curious where the "second-tier" feeling comes from.

As for career office, what can they do better? Also for the clubs. Just wanted to understand Haas more. Thanks!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 1

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 00:31
aaww...braindancer, you hurt kryzak. :evil:

kryzak-there, there, you poor baby :drinking
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 00:57
haha, nah, just curious about the details, since it's something I would like to know if I do get into Haas and somewhere else. :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 346
Location: San Francisco
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 03:30
kryzak wrote:
braindancer wrote:
Rants:
- being 'second-tier' sucks. I want HBS's 800-pound-gorilla feeling.
- career office is struggling to sell us, but I feel they could do much better job.
- most clubs are totally disorganized.


very informative rants and raves braindancer! Thanks! :)

Could you expand on the feeling of being "second-tier"? Is it something that people just think internally or is it something that surfaced when recruiting or interviewing or something else? Right now Haas is definitely one of my top choices, but I am just curious where the "second-tier" feeling comes from.

As for career office, what can they do better? Also for the clubs. Just wanted to understand Haas more. Thanks!


1) Well, there is no factual support of us being a second tier, but it's pretty much obvious for everyone that we're not H, not S and not W. By far. And even not Chicago, Columbia, or MIT. Everyone keeps telling us "prepare super-hard, as you have to win against those branded guys". All the major companies (I can only talk consulting, didn't pay attention to other stuff) do recruit here, and invest quite a lot of time, so I can't say we're treated as crap. It's mostly internal perceived second-tierness. :) You can't just think "okay, I'm from a cool school, go hire me fast". Not gonna happen.

2) Career office could do more to prepare us for battle. The single introductory "case practice bootcamp" was put together by Consulting club. The advanced one I had to put together myself. (Not alone, but that's not the point). There is some activity, like mock interviews and career advising sessions with hired professionals, but I feel it is totally not enough.

3) For clubs - they're just chaotic :) No one really controls what's going on there, which is good for independent action, but bad when people just don't do anything. Given the overcommitment of many active people, it often happens that they are elected to leadership positions but don't have enough time to actually drive things. (It's not the same for all clubs though.)

P.S. I've painted it black somewhat; it's not my point, most of things are really awesome :) I just specifically highlighted several things that could be better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 08:50
Thanks for the details braindancer! As for "second-tier", that was what I expected. No wonder Haas students always work so hard and are extra "gung ho" about things. I think it's a reality that at this point, Haas is still working its way up and "second tier" to the M7s, especially in consulting/IB (I think Haas is probably closer to the M7's in stuff like entrepreneurship and non-profit). But it's still nice to hear that the companies do spend time at Haas and don't outwardly treat the students as "second-tier".

As for the career office, I think if Haas follows the GSB model for preparation (they have some amazing prep programs there for interviews!), they would probably do better.

Finally, I think the student-run everything does plague schools like Haas when everyone is overextended. I got the same comments from students at UCLA and Kellogg, two other schools where the students decide how to run all the clubs, and if no one is taking the lead in one of them, that club falls apart for that year.

Thank you again for bringing out the "needs to be improved" areas of Haas, as these kinds of information are hard to get from infosessions or talking to "official" students and faculty. :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 08:56
braindancer wrote:
kryzak wrote:
braindancer wrote:
Rants:
- being 'second-tier' sucks. I want HBS's 800-pound-gorilla feeling.
- career office is struggling to sell us, but I feel they could do much better job.
- most clubs are totally disorganized.


very informative rants and raves braindancer! Thanks! :)

Could you expand on the feeling of being "second-tier"? Is it something that people just think internally or is it something that surfaced when recruiting or interviewing or something else? Right now Haas is definitely one of my top choices, but I am just curious where the "second-tier" feeling comes from.

As for career office, what can they do better? Also for the clubs. Just wanted to understand Haas more. Thanks!


1) Well, there is no factual support of us being a second tier, but it's pretty much obvious for everyone that we're not H, not S and not W. By far. And even not Chicago, Columbia, or MIT. Everyone keeps telling us "prepare super-hard, as you have to win against those branded guys". All the major companies (I can only talk consulting, didn't pay attention to other stuff) do recruit here, and invest quite a lot of time, so I can't say we're treated as crap. It's mostly internal perceived second-tierness. :) You can't just think "okay, I'm from a cool school, go hire me fast". Not gonna happen.

2) Career office could do more to prepare us for battle. The single introductory "case practice bootcamp" was put together by Consulting club. The advanced one I had to put together myself. (Not alone, but that's not the point). There is some activity, like mock interviews and career advising sessions with hired professionals, but I feel it is totally not enough.

3) For clubs - they're just chaotic :) No one really controls what's going on there, which is good for independent action, but bad when people just don't do anything. Given the overcommitment of many active people, it often happens that they are elected to leadership positions but don't have enough time to actually drive things. (It's not the same for all clubs though.)

P.S. I've painted it black somewhat; it's not my point, most of things are really awesome :) I just specifically highlighted several things that could be better.


Woo....braindancer, you just severely lowered my perception of Berkeley. As an international outsider, I know that Cal is not QUITE up there with H/S/W, but to me that was always only a perception thing, not based on the real quality of the school. (The same way you keep trusting a brand such as say Apple, even if they screw up a few products and are already on the downturn)

Still, I thought Berkeley DOES carry some weight being one of the best schools in the US, and there IS reason to be proud of getting your MBA there. I thought it would open doors.

H and W never seemed to fit my goals, nor my style, S seemed like a place full of arrogant mofos so I refrained from applying.

Hmm...of all my applications, I guess Kellogg still is the best brand then...

Any thoughts?
Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2008, 08:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 72 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Making the decision, your story MU2011CPA 1 17 Oct 2011, 06:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic share your experiences on social networking tools, tks vanierlib 2 27 Jun 2009, 13:36
Say you're #1 in your class at Stanford jaymonk 7 04 Dec 2008, 09:42
Summer internship rants and raves lepium 6 13 Jun 2008, 18:20
Phone interview - Share experience Kurtenhamer 18 15 Jan 2008, 16:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.