Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: FT-2009 rankings out [#permalink]
ninkorn wrote:
The FT MBA ranking 2009 was compiled from data supplied by 9,000 business school alumni working in 130 countries.

Very interesting ranking......they rank schools based on data submitted by bschool alumni????
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
LBS and Insead above Stanford? Very suspect indeed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Everyone knows that FT ranking is meaningless. Cmon, its all messed up! I dont even know where to start. Should I complain abt Kellogg being ranked outside the top 20 or abt ISB and Ceibs being ranked that high. this ranking is total BS....and we were complaing abt BW rankings. :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Like any other rankings out there, the FT is not perfect. However, it is the only ranking that tries to genuinely compare international programs with each other. Whether it uses the correct criterion for making that call is anybody's guess but I do appreciate their effort. I for one would like international programs such as LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge, AGSM (now Renamed Australian School of Business) in one consolidated ranking to see where they stand.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
If we sort the data for US schools ..heres how it look

1) Wharton, 2) HBS, 3) Columbia, 4) Stanford, 5) MIT, 6) NYU, 7) Chicago, 8) Dartmouth, 9) Yale, 10) Northwestern, 11) Duke, 12) Michigan, 13) Emory, 14) Virginia, 15) UCLA, 16) Berkeley, 17) Cornell, 18) Georgetown, 19) Arizona, 20) Maryland, 21) North Carolina, 22) Rochester, 23) Texas, 24) Carnegie Mellon, 25) Rice
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
it is the only ranking that tries to genuinely compare international programs with each other.

Don't forget the Economist also does MBA rankings:

https://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2008rankings

Although these seem to have no correlation to the FT rankings, since the Top 5 according to the Economist (2008) are:

1. IMD
2. IESE
3. Chicago Booth
4. Stanford
5. Tuck

And sorry ninkorn, in this case Yale (#30) is below Kellogg (#16) and Ross (#22).

At the end of the day, we can chalk up any rankings under the category of "lies, damn lies and statistics." They're all somewhat subjective and use different criteria. What really matters in terms of reputation is the school's reputation among future potential employers in the industry and geography you're interested in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
NJMike wrote:
What really matters in terms of reputation is the school's reputation among future potential employers in the industry and geography you're interested in.

That about sums it up.

The company I work for (big pharma) actually recruits from Michigan State and University of Minnesota, but not from Harvard or Stanford.

Figure that one out.

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
One of the biggest flaws with the FT methodology is its emphasis on what it calls the "weighted salary." There was an extremely good write about it last year here : https://onwardtomba.blogspot.com/2008/02 ... nking.html

This kinda explains schools such as CEIBS and ISB making their appearance in the top 20. The writer, like me, also appreciates how FT makes its ranking criteria transparent.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I wonder when they took the PPP for this. It could be that if they took it any time up to September, that London salaries, in dollars, are inflated by a magnitude of about 40% to what they currently are.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
There is column which says "Alumni Recommend Rank" - Business schools from which alumni would recruit MBA graduates.

Ranking as per this column is :

1. HBS
2. Wharton
3. Stanford
4. Kellogg
5. LBS
6. INSEAD
7. Chicago
8. Columbia
9. MIT
10. NYU
11. Tuck
12. Haas
13. Ross
14. Duke
15. Darden
16. IMD
17. UCLA - Anderson
18. IESE
19. Rotman
20. Ivey

Does the ranking make more sense now?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
The LBS data was last audited in 2004, maybe that's a reason the weighted salaries are a bit higher?

3underscore wrote:
I wonder when they took the PPP for this. It could be that if they took it any time up to September, that London salaries, in dollars, are inflated by a magnitude of about 40% to what they currently are.

And I don't consider considering "weighted salary" to be a flaw at all in a ranking that tries to compare schools across the globe. Cost of living simply has to be adjusted for to make comparisons consistent.

Finally, for everyone who's saying "ranking X sucks!" simply because it doesn't hold up to popular perception, why not point out exactly what the flaw in the ranking's methodology is? There is some great data in the FT ranking, and comparing schools based on "Aims Achieved", "Placements" and "Employment" should give one a good picture of how satisfied the surveyed alumni were with their overall academic experience and how much the school helped them in their job search.

Oh and here is last year's FT ranking thread. We go through the same arguments every year it seems. :roll:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t59175?sk=t&sd=a
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
And I don't consider considering "weighted salary" to be a flaw at all in a ranking that tries to compare schools across the globe.

Only flaw I could see is if the salary data provided by the US schools uses FX rates to convert salaries for foreign jobs to USD, while the FT translates salaries for non-US schools into USD using PPP. I'm not familiar enough with the data to know if this is the case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Bit of a non sequitur, but when does the latest version of US News come out? March?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
abhyudaya wrote:
There is column which says "Alumni Recommend Rank" - Business schools from which alumni would recruit MBA graduates.

Ranking as per this column is :

1. HBS
2. Wharton
3. Stanford
4. Kellogg
5. LBS
6. INSEAD
7. Chicago
8. Columbia
9. MIT
10. NYU
11. Tuck
12. Haas
13. Ross
14. Duke
15. Darden
16. IMD
17. UCLA - Anderson
18. IESE
19. Rotman
20. Ivey

Does the ranking make more sense now?

This is probably what the rankings would have looked like had they been published by USNews.
I would love to see IMD in top 10/12. I think 16 is a little too low. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Interesting for me is IE, usually in Europe people rank IESE much higher, even in Spain.

There are 4 schools outside US among the Top 10, 3 from Europe and one from Asia. Among top 20 than it's 50%, impressive number, and that may be showing how schools outside the US are really improving their recognition.

I don't like seeing Chicago going down in this ranking, but I would not say that it is meaningless because of that, all schools at the Top are indeed excellent institutions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
NJMike wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
And I don't consider considering "weighted salary" to be a flaw at all in a ranking that tries to compare schools across the globe.

Only flaw I could see is if the salary data provided by the US schools uses FX rates to convert salaries for foreign jobs to USD, while the FT translates salaries for non-US schools into USD using PPP. I'm not familiar enough with the data to know if this is the case.

Perhaps even for US schools, earning 100K in Chicago is different than doing so in NYC for instance, isn't it? But then we are making their model much more complex :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
My wife and I were seriously debating location post grad. 100k in Houston is roughly equal to 200k in San Fran or NYC. The companies pay the same for both locations but you can save a lot more money for a few years by going to a cheap area to live. Its not a bad idea especially since its almost inevitable that you will be moving if you are in industry or are leaving IB or MC after a few years. Some companies will pay you lower than others but they are located in areas where the cost of living is dirt cheap compared to others.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2