Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 06:42
Nink, I just started prepping for GMAT and have a weak math base. My question is will applying closer towards the deadlines hurt my chances that much?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 06:48
Dawgie wrote:
Nink, I just started prepping for GMAT and have a weak math base. My question is will applying closer towards the deadlines hurt my chances that much?

That depends on the school that you are applying to. A lot of MS Accounting programs have rolling admissions system even with a set deadline. (I think this is especially true for public universities or programs with small class size and lots of applicants) Therefore, sometimes if you apply too close to the deadline, it can be a disadvantage.

If a school does not operate on rolling admissions system (rolling admissions = the application gets reviewed and the decision is made on first come first serve basis, rather than waiting on all the applications for the incoming class and reviewing it all after the deadline), then applying close to the deadline won't have that much effect on your chances of admissions.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too) [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:54
Anybody hear in the last two weeks from UNC, BC, Texas, or USC?
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 18:47
Any pointers on how to write my essay for Texas?

I don't really know what say other than I want to become a CPA, work for a Big4, and then depending upon whether I think I can continue moving up the ladder I'll either stay or start my own business or look for a job an industry job?

I don't know if I should be throwing things in there like my passion for accounting, because to me it just sounds cheesy.

Basically, how do I make my essay help me stand out.

GPA 3.07, but last 2 semesters were 3.5
I'm aiming for a 710 and hoping to come up with an amazingly passionate and inspiring essay

GMAT Retake - Summer/Fall 2010 Minimum 650, Goal 700
Resources - Kaplan Premiere, MGMAT Guides 1-8, OG12, Quant & Verbal

Please help me towards my goal of GMATclub tests and press +1 (kudos) if you like my posts.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too) [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
For any MS Accounting essay, all you need to really communicate is that you are interested in public accounting, and working as public accountant as CPA is the goal after the degree. You can also throw in some interesting developments such as: US adopting IFRS and as a result there's going to be a demand for well informed CPA's for this transition etc.

Also you are going to need to communicate that your GPA isn't true reflection of your academic ability etc. Your GPA is kinda low for U Texas-Austin avg. You are gonna need high GMAT score, if possible.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too)   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2009, 08:23