Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Re: 2009 MAcc Applicants...UNITE! (MAcc students too) [#permalink]
Yo!

Yeah, I agree this board is completely dead. Anyways here's the deal...

GMAT: 760
GPA: 2.93

Applying to

USC
UT
Notre Dame
UVA
William & Mary

Anyways, I know my GPA is low. But I've been working hard, taking accounting classes at local community colleges. My GPA across the 5 accounting classes I've taken is 3.72. Here's hoping I can get a second chance. Good luck, everyone. And happy holidays!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
JorgeStevenson wrote:
Yo!

Yeah, I agree this board is completely dead. Anyways here's the deal...

GMAT: 760
GPA: 2.93

Applying to

USC
UT
Notre Dame
UVA
William & Mary

Anyways, I know my GPA is low. But I've been working hard, taking accounting classes at local community colleges. My GPA across the 5 accounting classes I've taken is 3.72. Here's hoping I can get a second chance. Good luck, everyone. And happy holidays!

You picked some really selective programs up there. Especially USC is known for its pickiness or selectivity. However, good news is your GMAT score. You must demonstrate your passion for the program and provide reasonable explanation for your low GPA.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Accounting
 Q47  V50
Send PM
GMAT 760
GPA 3.89 (Wake)

Wake Forest University
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, its good to see some responses. Nice score sniper and jorge. Sorry I started this thing then bailed. I've applied to University of Illinois, USC, and University of Washington. My stats are as follows:

GMAT: 670
GPA: 3.85
AWA: 5

I was hoping for a better GMAT score, but I guess it could be worse. Hopefully, some of my better attributes will distract the admissions committee at USC and I'll get in there (it's my first choice)... I'm not really counting on UI and UW is more of a back up plan (although I could realistically be denied by all three *knock on wood*)

Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Schools:USC, UT, UNC
Send PM
Hey everyone,

I will appreciate if you could take a quick look at my basic profile.

BS in chemistry at UC Berkeley
GPA: 3.006 (not including accounting classes)
GMAT: 610 (score from the OG practice test and I am planning to take the real one this Thursday)

Grades from accounting classes:
Introduction to financial accounting: A
Introduction to managerial accounting: A-
Intermediate financial accounting: A-
Cost Accounting: A (taken at CSU East Bay)
Introduction to tax: C+ (taken at CSU East Bay)

I know that this is totally hypothetical, but I am just wondering what you all think whether I have a chance to be accepted in UT, USC or UNC programs. They aren't the only schools that I am applying for, but they are definitely my top choices. Also, will the master programs be easy on my GPA because I majored in chemistry? Thanks for your help!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
paikovsky wrote:
BS in chemistry at UC Berkeley
GPA: 3.006 (not including accounting classes)
GMAT: 610 (score from the OG practice test and I am planning to take the real one this Thursday)

I know that this is totally hypothetical, but I am just wondering what you all think whether I have a chance to be accepted in UT, USC or UNC programs. They aren't the only schools that I am applying for, but they are definitely my top choices. Also, will the master programs be easy on my GPA because I majored in chemistry? Thanks for your help!

Hey buddy. Good luck on your MAcc journey.

Your target schools - USC, UNC and UT offer some of the best MS in Accounting programs in the country. They are all very competitive (especially USC's MS program). I think you will have to score 650+ in GMAT to have a good chance for acceptance.

Also, because you weren't a business major during undergrad - you will take little bit longer to complete the MS degree. Many MS degrees have basic business core classes one must complete before one can start MS curriculum. This is to meet strict 150 hour requirement.
Intern
Intern
Schools:USC, UT, UNC
Send PM
Hey ninkorn,

Thanks for your advice! I took the exam yesterday and I got 680 (50 in quantitative and 31 in verbal). Now I have to start working on the purpose of statement and other application materials since I have been procrastinating because of GMAT. It is a quite relief to get the exam score. One less thing to worry about, you know. Thanks again and have a nice weekend!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
paikovsky wrote:
Hey ninkorn,

Thanks for your advice! I took the exam yesterday and I got 680 (50 in quantitative and 31 in verbal). Now I have to start working on the purpose of statement and other application materials since I have been procrastinating because of GMAT. It is a quite relief to get the exam score. One less thing to worry about, you know. Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Great news buddy! Now let's finish strong by cranking out those tough essays and other parts of the application.

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi
I aim for master in accounting at Carlson School of Mangement (U of Minnesota)
my GMAT 550
GPA=3.5
I'm international student.Is there any chance for me ?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
GMATpp wrote:
Hi
I aim for master in accounting at Carlson School of Mangement (U of Minnesota)
my GMAT 550
GPA=3.5
I'm international student.Is there any chance for me ?

2 things you have to keep in mind

1) Financing for Intl Students are drying up
2) Your GMAT is kinda low. I think you need 600-650 to have a reasonable shot at Minnesota.

Do you have enough time to raise your GMAT score?
Intern
Intern
Schools:UTA, UND, W&M
 Q49  V35
Send PM
I am interested in UND's MSA and UTA, what do you think of my chance?
GPA:3.8 (UIUC)
GMAT 700
I am international student
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
lovexiaok wrote:
I am interested in UND's MSA and UTA, what do you think of my chance?
GPA:3.8 (UIUC)
GMAT 700
I am international student

Notre Dame's MSA program is actually very friendly to international applicants. They publish a class yearbook every year, showing everyone's background, photo, profile and etc. I would say that at least 10 % of the class was from universities in China.

Your stats (GPA, and GMAT) are on the upper end of both school's avg stats. Based on these two numbers alone, I would say you are a very strong candidate for both schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys...just wanted to give an update:

Rejected from Texas and USC (not even an interview)
Accepted at UVA
Scholarship to William & Mary

Decided to go with W&M for a couple of reasons. (1) $. (2) I went to UVA undergrad and am welcoming a change of scenery (although the new McIntire building is really enticing). (2) I interviewed at W&M with one of the heads of the program and it seemed like exactly what I wanted.

Anyways I just wanted to let everybody out there know that if you've got a high enough GMAT score, there are great programs out there that will accept you (and even throw you some dough!), regardless of your GPA. The good news is that your GMAT score is largely a function of how much effort and time you're willing to put in. Hit the books hard and keep your eyes on the prize. And Nink, thanks for all the effort you've put in to make this forum actually worthwile.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Congrats and good luck with all your future endeavors! :-D

JorgeStevenson wrote:
Hey guys...just wanted to give an update:

Rejected from Texas and USC (not even an interview)
Accepted at UVA
Scholarship to William & Mary

Decided to go with W&M for a couple of reasons. (1) $. (2) I went to UVA undergrad and am welcoming a change of scenery (although the new McIntire building is really enticing). (2) I interviewed at W&M with one of the heads of the program and it seemed like exactly what I wanted.

Anyways I just wanted to let everybody out there know that if you've got a high enough GMAT score, there are great programs out there that will accept you (and even throw you some dough!), regardless of your GPA. The good news is that your GMAT score is largely a function of how much effort and time you're willing to put in. Hit the books hard and keep your eyes on the prize. And Nink, thanks for all the effort you've put in to make this forum actually worthwile.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yo, I just wanted to give everybody a final piece of advice before selecting a Master of Accounting program:

If you do not already have an offer from a public accounting firm, I would HIGHLY recommend going here: https://www.accountingmajors.com/account ... op100.html

Now, start at the top of the page and work your way down. Go to each website and look for their campus recruiting schedule for the current year. Most of them have this schedule linked up somewhere in their careers section. What you are looking for is whether or not that specific firm actively recruits on your campus (i.e. do they come down for career fairs, mock interviews, on-campus interviews, and pre-interview social events?). If that firm does not actively spend $$ to recruit on your campus (i.e. if they don't have on-campus interviews), there is little to no chance that you will be able to work there. The recruiting process for accounting firms is very traditional. These firms are set in their ways. They want to recruit their new associates from on-campus interviews. They will not interview you if you did not submit your resume through your campus' career center. Most of their websites do not even offer to accept your resume unless you are an experienced higher (i.e. you are entering their firm at LEAST as a senior associate).

As an example, you can see that I chose W&M over UVA. Now...I love it at W&M. I love the program, I feel like I'm learning a ton, I'm going to smoke the CPA exam, etc. And I hated UVA. BUT, here's the catch: there are only 8 public accounting firms that recruit at William and Mary. 8. For a graduate program of 70 students, not to mention the undergraduate population. And KPMG isn't one of them. So that's 3 Big 4 firms, doing about 8 interviews each.

So just keep that in mind when you're applying. Look at each firm and focus on where they recruit. If they don't recruit at your school, you're SOL.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey I thought I would ask about my chances as well.

I am applying to UVA, UT, UMich, and Vanderbilt.

GPA: 3.65 (U. of South Carolina)
GMAT: 690
All A's in accounting class and in my junior year.
Two club presidencies and 4 internships (one at a hedge fund and the other at national brokerage firm)

Thanks for your help.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
beltmanm wrote:
Hey I thought I would ask about my chances as well.

I am applying to UVA, UT, UMich, and Vanderbilt.

GPA: 3.65 (U. of South Carolina)
GMAT: 690
All A's in accounting class and in my junior year.
Two club presidencies and 4 internships (one at a hedge fund and the other at national brokerage firm)

Thanks for your help.

Again, your stats are competitive. Although, with those stellar grades in accounting, how come you didn't go for any public accounting internships and chose hedge fund and a brokerage firm instead?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts