Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT LGO, Tepper
WE 1: Product Development Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 14:35
Any other current LGO students who could provide more insight into the interview? Any common mistakes you could highlight that we should be aware of?
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 21:24
Hi everyone

The entire LGO 2012 class will begin the annual domestic plant trek tomorrow and we will be traveling for the next 2 weeks.

I will try to check the forum as much as I can while on the trek but I might not be able to respond to questions right away.

In the mean time, I guess I will mention couple more things
1) Each applicant's interview is very specific to his/her application material, the adcom is looking to fill specific gaps from the app. So if the duration of your interview is short, it just means the adcom got everything they are looking for (my interview was only 30 minutes)
2) If you have time, try to take advantages and attend as many events during interview fest as possible. Things like student panels and casual chat in the office are very valuable (as least for me when I was applying). And don't forget about the social event on Saturday the 29th :)

Good luck with your preparation and see you all in a few weeks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 00:18
Can some current students comment on the status of the International applicants.
Do you have any info on this? Are the interview invites sent only for US citizens at this time?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 08:44
sk84,

relax... for real. I was freaking out as well when my invite did not come on friday. A current international LGO student told me that interviews for internationals are sent later although very very few, perhaps one or two may have received one on friday. However, it is completely normal to not receive an invite on the day equivalent to this past friday in previous years. Also if you want to research on the matter, look at the LGO thread from last year. In there you will see that international applicants got their call around January 20 or after and some had the option of scheduling in Interviewfest if they could make it.

Dont worry about it for now. If you email the LGO office and ask about the process they will tell you that the process is the same for domestic and international applicants because they have to say that. The truth is that it is not quite the same. Relax and come back into this state of paranoia around January 20.

Something that helps me relax is eating a large pizza for every day that the invite doesnt come in. You can also try a gallon of ice cream with a lot of fudge and then downing 5 or 6 shots of Jaggermeister at work. It has to be the quantity specified, otherwise it will not make you feel any better emotionally. hahahahaha just kidding.

Relax!! thats all I can say. It has not even begun for us yet . By looking at the number of applicants in this thread who got interview calls, I can also imagine that several internationals in this thread will get interview calls.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 14:46
how does LGO define international? If you are already in the US on a visa, is that domestic or international?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 17:20
International means you are nether a citizen nor permanent resident. Wether you live and work in the US makes no difference. I am currently working in the US with a visa and since I am not a permanent resident I am considered international. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU Tepper

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 13:11
I did not receive an interview invite, but I was just informed of a new promotion at work...Is there a way to report this to the adcom?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 13:23
randompattern wrote:
I did not receive an interview invite, but I was just informed of a new promotion at work...Is there a way to report this to the adcom?

Hey Randompattern, I just recently received a promotion as well (after submitting my application) and I emailed Leah with an updated resume attached, informing her of my recent promotion.

That should be all it takes.

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU Tepper

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 13:24
Thanks, I'll do that
Intern
Intern
Schools: LGO @ Sloan, Fuqua, HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, KF

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 18:43
drats no invite yet. I'm sure it's cause of work experience (only 3 years at time of matriculation) but never know.

Best of luck to the rest of you and we'll see if something comes up sooner or later.

On a side note, if any of the current LGO fellows have seen any procurement professionals in the current program, do you mind providing some insight into their work experience background or any other pertinent information? I just want to see how I compare and see what I can do to enhance my candidacy.

Thanks!
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 18:51
were there any invites today?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 19:21
I believe the LGO application only requires 2 years of full-time work experience. With 3 years, you are right in the ball park and it is really quality over quantity.

For this year's class, we have people from product development, military, IT, software, manufacturing, and finance etc...It is a really diverse group in terms of numbers of experience and background.

And by procurement, do you mean you are already working in supply chain? For me, I come from mechanical engineering and product design and I am focusing on supply chain in engineering systems.

spaceman09 wrote:
drats no invite yet. I'm sure it's cause of work experience (only 3 years at time of matriculation) but never know.

Best of luck to the rest of you and we'll see if something comes up sooner or later.

On a side note, if any of the current LGO fellows have seen any procurement professionals in the current program, do you mind providing some insight into their work experience background or any other pertinent information? I just want to see how I compare and see what I can do to enhance my candidacy.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: LGO

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:42
I got an interview invite today at 7.18AM (Pacific). The dates are 28th Jan or 31st Jan. Needless to say, I am very excited.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:00
Congrats atidude.can you give us some details about your profile?
Are you a international applicant or a US citizen?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:12
Work Exp: 5Yrs in semi
Education : Adv degree from Gatech
GMAT: 760
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 07:31
Can anyone tell me whether the interviewer is an adcom and are they the same as the full-time MBA adcom?
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 00:40
hi

I was interviewed by an interviewer from the Sloan side of the admission office. I am pretty sure it is the same as the full-time MBA program at Sloan.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 74601

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 14:18
Hello all. First time posting. Attending January 28 interview and bowling (in Cambridge?!) on January 29. Thrilled for the invite.

Education: Physics/Math from large state university
Work: 3 years in finance, specifically a technical subset of energy trading
Currently: Traveling past 6 months, flying into Boston specifically for LGO interview. I am a US Citizen but asked to interview from Asia - was told I had to come in to MIT.
LGO Interest: ESD Energy/Sustainability with focus on development and deployment of large scale clean tech

Questions:
1) Does anyone have specific recommendations on where to live. I'd like to be within walking distance or easy T distance of class. Should I be looking for managed properties or a sublease?

2) Are the "first round" invitees the ones they really want and thus we have a better shot of admission?

3) I'm curious about the "merit scholarships to outstanding applicants" mentioned on the Financial Information LGO page. Does receipt of one of those depend upon the interview more than anything else, or is it about objective numbers/specific interests of applicant. How many students receive extra funding?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 16:06
Thanks JZD for your reply.

Can you elaborate a bit on the Product Management career post LGO? I saw that career track on the LGO website along with the Supply Chain Management and Operations Management.

Which partner companies recruit for product management role?
How many LGO fellows opt for product management career?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 16:15
atldude wrote:
Thanks JZD for your reply.

Can you elaborate a bit on the Product Management career post LGO? I saw that career track on the LGO website along with the Supply Chain Management and Operations Management.

Which partner companies recruit for product management role?
How many LGO fellows opt for product management career?

Thanks!

I've been in product management for the past 4 years or so. I love it. I tried positioning myself in this role in applying to LGO, but I have yet to get an interview invite. But that's probably more due to my low GPA than anything else...
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2011, 16:15