Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
tkkoh, cabro57, huge thanks for your lavish answers. I appreciate it much.

However, is there anything else that I can do to improve my chance? Perhaps writing more books/publications, doing more with GMAT, LORs from minister/senate/congres members, without taking Master degree first?

Can you mention some other schools, which came from tier 2 & tier 3, with less competition, but still have good programs (especially in MIS), with professors which is expert in their area, and also give generous stipend to their students?

Last but by no mean least, I really want to pursue PhD, especially in the top-tier schools in US. And I was very-very wondering if you could give me some advice & suggestion to make my dreams come true.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Now that I read cabro's reply again, I begin to see the cracks in my own app.

I don't have a master degree. My undergrad GPA is only around 3.3 by my direct conversion. I graduated "only" among the Top 10%. No pub. No formal RA. Did not take any heavy math courses. (not even full-course calculus as it wasn't offered).

My GMAT is not too bad. But my quant is "only" 49/90th percentile.

The anxiety of the waiting game begins....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
redhead:
1) the only recommendation letters that will really help you are from professors who are at least marginally reputable in their fields. A politician cannot recommend you for academic work, he doesn't know anything about it.
2) right now the best thing you can do is show how motivated you are at getting a headstart in advanced math/econ courses, so take one or two this winter. If you're applying this year, the results won't be in for the admissions commitees to see, but you'll be able to mention that fact in your app.

tkkoh: I got 49 when I did the GMAT and it was enough to get me in a few very good schools (not MIT, but still). I think anyone who scores that high should be considered by admissions commitees; whether it is what really happens, I don't know. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Redhead,

Two questions you should ask yourself:

1. Are you absolutely sure that you want to major in IS?

Accounting is very hot right now, whereas IS is very much in a slump. Will and when it will recover is anyone's guess. If you frame it right, you can do IS-related research within Accounting programs; I know someone in my program that is doing just that.

2. How important is it for you to go to a top school?

Tepper, Michigan, and Purdue (and that's my impression of the prestige order) are all top-notch IS schools, but there are many others with good programs that may serve your purposes, especially if you want to go home after you graduate. As someone else noted, the pressure will be high at top-notch schools to go to another top-notch school (as they define it). Check out the ISWorld PhD page for a list of schools with programs, and then look at their web pages.

You do need to nail the GMAT, but the "lower ranked" schools will be more tolerant of a lower score, obviously. The lack of a masters may be a problem, and having one would definitely help, but I tend to think that your research experience will compensate for this (unless the school's web page notes that a masters is preferred or required). Demonstration of an interest in research is a VERY important consideration in admissions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jaypalm: you made a very good point here. A PhD from a top US b-school is a huge investment and your quality of life definitely suffers for the time you're there, so you really better make sure there's a reward at the end of the line. If the OP's plan is to go back to Malaysia (ie. maybe go back to a top school in his country, but not a top school in the world), getting a PhD from a good school (but not top 25 US school) is probably a better option. From my own (somewhat limited) experience, there's no particular reward to having a PhD from Wharton if you teach in a second-tier university.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts