Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1498 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
One more thing about math. Sometimes when you see the solution others posted in the forum you may feel that it is straight forward, but if you did it yourself you may have made this or that kind of mistakes, and this is what would happen in the real test. This is one of the reasons why one may feel the test questions are harder than the forum. I can't stress enough the importance of solving each problem by yourself first, before looking at others' solutions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That was great advice from HongHu. I consider myself strong in math and I never look at the solution first.

Take a permutations/combinations problem for example, at the end solution is in some form of either nPr or nCr,but to get to there is the main thing.If you see the solution,it is very easy to say "oh yeah, that is correct".But do it yourself without looking at the solution.It will make huge differrence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mdf2,
With regard to Quant. This forum is definately harder but again it just like you said, it is a matter of you figuring out the solution. I am prone to making careless mistakes so it was important for me to do problems and see where I most often made the careless mistakes and then make sure not to do that on test day. Sorry for your score...I'm sure you'll do a lot better if you take it again!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys..
after 15 hours rest let s figure out what happened ...

First I would split the GMAT in 3 parts with 2 sub parts and highlight issues I must overcome next time. This might also help other people.

GMAT :

i. Essay :
a. feeling : dont bother to spend time on it. first because you don t have time to write a book, second because you are not scored on what you write more than how you write.
b. preparation : if you don t have imagination and a structurated mind. you better get a book to learn how to. Otherwise, just learn the basic : short intro, two to three ideas, one conclusion. Learn the basic beginnings , how to introduce and close a paragraph, how to conclude

ii. Quantitative :
a. my background is Economic & Law and I am working in acturial and strategy dpt. As such I am suppose to be good in Math and I am. I have also logic. So where did I screw ? The first 15 questions are critical and I did not get them right . why ? because I omit to study or refresh myself with prob, combination and geometry ... which were asked in the first questions.
DS: I did not focus on concentrate enough. sometimes I did not understand the question
Problem: I did not understand the question
on the overall I did not manage the time properly as I finished the test 11 or 15 minutes before the end.
I knew perfectly that i did not score and i was not satisfied
How to respond to that ?
1. prepare the confidence and the concentration much more
2. ensure that you are satisfied with the response before moving one
3. Try to play with figures systematically
4. on the overall, study all mathematical concepts and do not omit anything

Verbal:
background :
First , I am not native english : speed and concentration to be improved
Second, in my country, we do not consider GMAT or whatever multiple choice question as satisfying test. As such it is the first time I face this type of exam.
Third: my degree and post degree requested me to be analytical, to argue, to consider and compromise... not to state that there is one answer and that s it. That it is not the most simple right answer that make the right answer (Law for instance, economy for instance)
So when you are facing an exam like GMAT you dont start well

How to overcome this :
Fight with what you have learnt so far.
Be straight and dont think like you used to.
CR: assume according to what you read period.
SC: learn all concepts possible by reading OG and books
RC: speed, speed and speed

Finally, I think that we need a minimum time of preparation and .... hum hum 1 month was surely not enough...

Having said that let s get back to work... Forum here I come :wink: [/b]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again

The debate on wether the Forum is tougher than GMAT ! :-)
I agree with you and I strictly follow your posted suggestion, otherwise what is the point to challenge yourelf through the Forum.

However, let put is this way, GMAT is all about confidence ...
When I do the forum:
I spend the time I need to crack the answer...
I know that the consequences are not that bad if I fail
I know that I will learnt from it,
I know that I am not alone
I can debate about the out come
I know that there is a challenge
In short I am in peace of mind

When I do GMAT :
I am alone
The score will play a huge role for my future
I can t go back
I can t argue
I don t know if I am wrong
I don t know where am going
I dont have time
I dont choose the next question

To sum up :
Forum will stay easier because I control the way I want to go through it. But that it is just a matter of managing the GMAT .

Confidence is the clue
One of my staff (who got GMAT : 710) suggested to have one or two shots before starting the exam :P
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
to our dear HongHu :-)

Yes I am planning to retake it...
strategy strategy...
I am facing deadlines : 16 of March to apply for a MBA or 23 of May for second batch ..
Looking at the score, I need to work things out which means that I will probably drop the first deadline and try to take it next April.

One thing also... a question comes to my mind :
Why GMAT will change next 2006 ?

Is it because scores are too high nowadays and the percentile distribution must be revised ? As such the GMAT provider must be also changed ?

To everyone reading that snail' please note that GMAT procedures have changed last week :

1. you are not allowed to write anything on your paper until the exam starts
2. once you request for new sheet, the previous one will be removed, meaning that you cannot note to help you in your exam
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts