Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
First attempt 580...Second attempt 680 [#permalink]
Well a couple weeks ago, I wrote this:

Frie0232 wrote:
So, for the past year or so, I have been an avid reader and browser of the GMAT club message boards. I've enjoyed reading success stories as well as reading the unfortunate ones (with hopes of learning from their mistakes). Anyways, I took the Gmat for the first time last year, and much to my horror, I finished the test thinking I was going to get something in the mid 600's, and ended up getting a 580 (Q 42 V 27). This was the lowest score I had ever received (averaging 630-650 on manhattan and gmatprep) and now I had to get this score on the one that counted...

Well, I decided I had to improve my verbal score, and turned to GMAT club for advice. I purchased all the recommended books and have been studying ever since.

Now, with the test a little over a week away, I decided to finally take another stab at the GMATPrep, things were going good in the quantitative, but in the verbal, I just wasn't feeling it. The test score came up 640 (Q 47 V 31). All this hard work, and it seemed like I was right back to where I was. I was a little discouraged after the results, but decided to take another shot at the other exam. Again, quantitative felt good again, but verbal seemed too difficult. The score then pops up 720! (Q 47 V 41).

I must admit I was surprised, but felt these results are what I have been expecting after all the hours I have been studying.

Now my question to you, what do I do in this last week to maintain this high score "rush". I know it is recommended to not study as much the last week, but I feel if I don't continuously review SC or CR, I will mess up. Should I continue taking practice exams?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for reading...Hopefully by this time next week I will be a member of the 700 club.

Until then.

Now, as you can tell from the title, I scored a 680 on my second attempt. A little bit of background from the test day. Going into the test I felt extremely comfortable and well relaxed. I got a couple odd AWA questions...answered those and then went straight for the math. Going through the math, I felt I was really screwing up. By the 3rd question I remember having to guess, as every answer I would come up with wasn't even close to any of the answers the test gave me. I remember as I was finishing up with the math, I just kept telling myself that I will make up for it on the verbal.
Well, as I was going into the verbal section, I felt I was doing great. I even remember getting a critical reasoning question identical from OG11 (with a couple different answer choices). I finally finished up the test, and was waiting to see a horrible math score and a great verbal score...Well after what seemed like minutes a 680 fell across the screen. To be honest, I felt a little disappointed. I was scoring in the 700s for the weeks leading up to the exam and now I got a 680.
But here was the real surprise, I scored a 49 on quant. Thinking that I royally screwed up on quant, I scored the highest I have ever scored in that section...which then led me to see that I also scored a poor 33 on the verbal.
I think the critical reasoning got me in the end.
Here's my dilemma: On the one hand, I am extremely happy that I was able to increase my score by 100 points, but on the other I know that I am able to score a lot higher than a 33 on verbal. Do I retake it a 3rd time? Or is a 680 plus good work experience enough to get me into a top 20 program?

I'm leaning towards not taking it again, but would love to hear some feedback from all of you other genius's that inspired me to keep studying.

Thanks for your time.
GMAT Club Bot
First attempt 580...Second attempt 680 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts