Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 days left... how confident should I be?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

6 days left... how confident should I be? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 01:45
I've been slacking on my studying, and considering the fact that I'm planning on applying to at least two schools in the second round, I finally scheduled by test yesterday for next Tuesday. Until then, I'm planning on taking at least one practice test a day (for me, finding my rythm on these things is the most important thing). This is my experience so far:

Kaplan CAT1: 620
Kaplan CAT2: 640
Princteton Review CD Test1: 710
PowerPrep CAT1: 740

I have a question for those here who have taken the real thing: How reflective are these tests, both in scoring and content, to the actual GMAT?

I took my first PowerPrep test last night (I haven't started going through the OG yet) and, despite a problem with the software telling me that my time had run out in the quant section when I still had 55 minutes left, was surprised by how well I did. I finished both sections in time (Quant with just a couple minutes to spare once I accounted for the software foul-up and the Verbal with 12 minutes to spare) and was surprised by how dramatically different the content was from the Kaplan CATs.

I only ran into one probability question, and that was a data sufficiency question. I managed to miss the first question in quant because I was extremely careless in how I read the question, but didn't miss another until the 18th question, so I wonder how that affected my score and the questions I saw later. As for the verbal, I was surprised by how short the reading comprehension passages were and the fact that the critical reasoning questions were not written in a deliberately confusing manner.

Is my experience on the PowerPrep test what I should expect on the real thing?

My experience with Kaplan has been dramatically different, much moreso than I have expected even knowing that the Kaplan CATs are more difficult. Each time I've taken the Kaplan CAT, I've been extremely short on time in the Quant section and had to randomly guess the last 5 to 7 questions. I've finished the verbal sections, but each time with less than 5 seconds left. Meanwhile, I've found the Kaplan Reading Comprehension to be exceedingly long, the Critical Reasoning questions to be deliberately confusing and ambiguous, and the Sentence Correction questions to largely be awkwardly written, even when correct.

Princeton Review gave me no explanations and the CD is a joke, so I've kind of disregarded that, but I figure it's at least another data point.

I'm curious to hear what other think of how these practice tests compare with the real thing. Sorry for writing such a lengthy post.

Last edited by BumblebeeMan on 14 Nov 2005, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 05:39
Seems like you are doing well, especially if you haven't touched the OG. Many say that the PP is a true indicator of your score, so you should be on the money. The only thing that I have heard recently if that the math is a tab bit tougher than the OG, so you might want to try to take one of the GMATprep exams. They have a few tougher math questions...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

same boat!! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 23:09
hi!

I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm taking it on the 17th of nov, and have been slacking too! I took the Kaplan online GMAT prep test and scored 590. :?

I'm aiming for a 650 minimum b/c my undergrad GPA was relatively low.. I'm doing 3 hours a day with the Kaplan course book, and Cracking the GMAT.

I'm about to do CAT1 from the Kaplan site. wish me luck! :)

Tomorrow i'm doing the PowerPrep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 23:25
Good luck to both of you!

Try GMATPrep tests available on mba.com; they are said to be quite reflective of your real score.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 23:38
yb wrote:

Try GMATPrep tests available on mba.com; they are said to be quite reflective of your real score.

Thanks! I just took one of the GMATPrep tests, and couldn't believe the difference between that and the PowerPrep test. I missed 12 questions on the quant and 4 on the verbal, but still got a score of 770.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if that was reflective of what my real score will be.
Intern
Intern

damn... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 01:07
just did the quantitative section of the Kaplan CAT1.....can I say how hard this thing is!! I had to suspend it when the section was over, its 4am, and i'm exhausted!
Manager
Manager

Re: Oops... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 01:11
rsanchez wrote:
just did the quantitative section of the Kaplan CAT1.....can I say how hard this thing is!! I had to suspend it when the section was over, its 4am, and i'm exhausted!

If it makes you feel any better, it's 3am where I am, and I just got to work.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 04:00
BumblebeeMan wrote:
yb wrote:

Thanks! I just took one of the GMATPrep tests, and couldn't believe the difference between that and the PowerPrep test. I missed 12 questions on the quant and 4 on the verbal, but still got a score of 770.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if that was reflective of what my real score will be.

Same experience here!
I thought I really screwed up on the quant part. I got 13 wrong and guessed the last 6 questions (bad timemanagement)
Verbal I got 10 wrong.
720 overall score.... I'm not sure wether gmat prep is a good indicator of the real test. If yes, that would be great, because I really felt I was not fully focused in the quant.
Intern
Intern

Re: same boat!! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 08:05
rsanchez wrote:
hi!

I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm taking it on the 17th of nov, and have been slacking too! I took the Kaplan online GMAT prep test and scored 590. :?

I'm aiming for a 650 minimum b/c my undergrad GPA was relatively low.. I'm doing 3 hours a day with the Kaplan course book, and Cracking the GMAT.

I'm about to do CAT1 from the Kaplan site. wish me luck! :)

Tomorrow i'm doing the PowerPrep.

Hey, just wondering how can I find the Kaplan online GMAT tests, i've been looking for them for two days now.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

well.. [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 12:29
you have to register for one fo their courses to gain access to their CAT's, as far as I know. I have access till Dec, 12th, and my exam is Nov 17th.

P.S. I got a 520 down from a 590, :cry: 45% on Quant is where it all went wrong.
Intern
Intern

Where do I get the more tests? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 16:32
I tried the one on the kaplan'n website , they have one free for all but that's the one also in the book , so essentially no new tests.
Can you guys tell me where to find new tests , like the ones ppl on this board have been talking about .
I know the mba.com has PowerPrep which has 2 full scale tests.Dont know what is the GMATPrep? where can I get it?
I tried the 4 tests on the Princeton Review site for those who have the book.
The scores that I got are :
Princeton Review:580, 610 , 570
PowerPrep : 610 , 570
Arco (Thomson petersons):700
Dont know whats a correct measure of how does it correlates to the real test.
Do you guys know ?
My test date cannot be more closer :)
Thanks in adv
Where do I get the more tests?   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2005, 16:32