Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:37

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 Days Until D-Day

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

6 Days Until D-Day [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 17:00
There are a lot of threads regarding the preparation one week before the GMAT. I take my test on the 23rd and feel that I am ready to hit my target score (670-700). I've taken 2 GMAT Preptests as well as 2 preptests from Exam Pack 1. I've scored between 680 and 690 on all four tests. Verbal is my strength and I am regularly hitting 90th-92nd percentile. In my preptest yesterday, I got a 94th percentile. With regards to my verbal prep, I'm going to do 10-12 practice problems per day just to stay sharp.

My big question is in regards to my quant. In each of the preptests I've scored between 42 and 45 and I'm ok with that considering my verbal is helping pull up the overall score. I'm wondering what the best strategy is in these final days in order to make sure that I don't make any stupid mistakes on test day but hopefully outscore my performance in my previous preptests. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off from work in order to give myself time to relax, drill concepts into my head, and mentally prepare. My plan is as follows:

Mon
Complete all Magoosh Algebra problems. Review any mistakes and watch the solution video
Go though OG error log and complete flagged and incorrect problems

Tue
Complete all Magoosh Word Problems. Review any mistakes and watch the solution video

Wed
Complete all Magoosh Powers and Roots problems. Review any mistakes and watch the solution video

Thu
Complete all Magoosh Integer Properties problems. Review any mistakes and watch the solution video
Review Preptest 1 answers
Review Preptest 2 answers
Review Preptest 3 answers
Review Preptest 4 answers

Fri
Review my timing strategy
Finish memorizing my AWA outline
Review questions I answered incorrectly
Do a number of easy algebra, roots, powers, geometry, etc. to keep my mind sharp

Does that plan look good? I've already gone through my preptests once. Do you think its a good idea to review them earlier in the week and leave the Magoosh problems for later in the week? Any other tips?

Thanks for the help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: 6 Days Until D-Day [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 05:52
Expert's post
Overall the plan looks decent, but I think that you need to better emphasize verbal in this last week. It's best to shore up your strengths in the week leading up to the GMAT in order to ensure that you get as many points as you possibly can out of them. I didn't see any verbal prep lined up here.

I would cut the quant down to 1/2 of your study time, and do it 1/2 quant and 1/2 verbal. It sounds like you have a great handle on verbal, but too often I see people become overconfident in their strengths, not practice, and then get hurt come test day.

As for the problems earlier in the week and then test review later, I like that . You want to wind down your studying throughout the week, and I think that is an appropriate way to do that.

Make sure not to study for more than an hour or so the day before. Day of, warm up with a couple of easy questions that you already know the answer to, just to get the cranks turning. You shouldn't do more than 20 minutes or so of these warm up problems, if that. Integrated Reasoning will be your real warm up.

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: 6 Days Until D-Day [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 08:38
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
Overall the plan looks decent, but I think that you need to better emphasize verbal in this last week. It's best to shore up your strengths in the week leading up to the GMAT in order to ensure that you get as many points as you possibly can out of them. I didn't see any verbal prep lined up here.

I would cut the quant down to 1/2 of your study time, and do it 1/2 quant and 1/2 verbal. It sounds like you have a great handle on verbal, but too often I see people become overconfident in their strengths, not practice, and then get hurt come test day.

As for the problems earlier in the week and then test review later, I like that . You want to wind down your studying throughout the week, and I think that is an appropriate way to do that.

Make sure not to study for more than an hour or so the day before. Day of, warm up with a couple of easy questions that you already know the answer to, just to get the cranks turning. You shouldn't do more than 20 minutes or so of these warm up problems, if that. Integrated Reasoning will be your real warm up.

I hope this helps!!!

Thanks for the tips. Regarding my verbal, I plan on doing 10-12 questions per day. Nothing too intense but just want to make sure I stay sharp. I'll do a mix of RC, SC and CR. Do you really think studying for more than an hour the day before the test will be a detriment? My test isn't until 1:00pm so I think if I wrap up my studying 24 hours in advance (Friday afternoon), I should be good. Do you disagree?

Thanks again for the tips.
Re: 6 Days Until D-Day   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 08:38