Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 15:42 It is currently 11 May 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 2.7
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22194 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 22194 [1]
Send PM
610 on first attempt, wanna improve [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Samir,

Thank you for that information. I think you're capable of a much higher score. I have a few thoughts.

First - your practice test scores show promise. After all, it's not easy to earn 700+ scores from the MBA.com tests. You're clearly capable... What's interesting (and concerning at the same time) is the variability displayed in those scores. I typically don't see 150+ point fluctuations in those scores. Are you a person who has "good cognitive days" and "poor cognitive days?" By that I mean some of us could perform well in the middle of a hurricane, while some of us get rattled by even a few small things out of place. I notice you had a few annoying things working against you on the morning of the test. Do you feel these factors could have played a role in your scoring a 610? How did you feel while taking the actual test? Did you feel anxious or worried? Did you let some of the questions/problems rattle you? Were you tired or frustrated from the traffic congestion? Did you carry the bad coffee taste into the test with you (I hate bad coffee...). Living in Los Angeles, I can empathize with the three-hour traffic. Sitting in traffic for three hours in Rio de Janeiro (been there done that) is enough to make anyone crazy. Perhaps you were tired come test time?

On the flip side, how did you feel when you were taking these practice tests?

May 10 - GMAT exam pack 1, test 2: 710 (Q47, V41)
May 12 - GMAT exam pack 2, test 2: 710 (Q46, V41)
May 13 - GMATPrep free exam 1 (retake): 710 (Q48, V40)

Were you fresh? Awake? In a positive state of mind, etc... ?

Regardless of whether you had a bad day, I do think you could make gains by increasing your knowledge and skills, but you'll need to put in some hard work. It's difficult to punch above the 700 mark without being more knowledgeable and more skilled than your peers. Contrary to what anyone tells you, there is no way to "game" the GMAT. High scores are built with persistence and determination.

Would you consider one more hard month of practice? If you're short on time, you could devote your study time to improving your quant score. However, because you are naturally strong in verbal, you'll probably be able to increase your verbal score without much effort. What about an 80/20 mix of quant/verbal prep? Studying is no fun, but a high GMAT could certainly help you reach your objective of qualifying for some scholarship funds.

Would you like some personalized guidance? If so, are you up to take a GMAT Quant diagnostic? If so, I'd be happy to review your results and provide you with some strategic feedback on how you could optimize your study. Just let me know...

Best Regards,

Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 610 on first attempt, wanna improve [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Samir,

Thank you for that information. I think you're capable of a much higher score. I have a few thoughts.

First - your practice test scores show promise. After all, it's not easy to earn 700+ scores from the MBA.com tests. You're clearly capable... What's interesting (and concerning at the same time) is the variability displayed in those scores. I typically don't see 150+ point fluctuations in those scores. Are you a person who has "good cognitive days" and "poor cognitive days?" By that I mean some of us could perform well in the middle of a hurricane, while some of us get rattled by even a few small things out of place. I notice you had a few annoying things working against you on the morning of the test. Do you feel these factors could have played a role in your scoring a 610? How did you feel while taking the actual test? Did you feel anxious or worried? Did you let some of the questions/problems rattle you? Were you tired or frustrated from the traffic congestion? Did you carry the bad coffee taste into the test with you (I hate bad coffee...). Living in Los Angeles, I can empathize with the three-hour traffic. Sitting in traffic for three hours in Rio de Janeiro (been there done that) is enough to make anyone crazy. Perhaps you were tired come test time?

On the flip side, how did you feel when you were taking these practice tests?

May 10 - GMAT exam pack 1, test 2: 710 (Q47, V41)
May 12 - GMAT exam pack 2, test 2: 710 (Q46, V41)
May 13 - GMATPrep free exam 1 (retake): 710 (Q48, V40)

Were you fresh? Awake? In a positive state of mind, etc... ?

Regardless of whether you had a bad day, I do think you could make gains by increasing your knowledge and skills, but you'll need to put in some hard work. It's difficult to punch above the 700 mark without being more knowledgeable and more skilled than your peers. Contrary to what anyone tells you, there is no way to "game" the GMAT. High scores are built with persistence and determination.

Would you consider one more hard month of practice? If you're short on time, you could devote your study time to improving your quant score. However, because you are naturally strong in verbal, you'll probably be able to increase your verbal score without much effort. What about an 80/20 mix of quant/verbal prep? Studying is no fun, but a high GMAT could certainly help you reach your objective of qualifying for some scholarship funds.

Would you like some personalized guidance? If so, are you up to take a GMAT Quant diagnostic? If so, I'd be happy to review your results and provide you with some strategic feedback on how you could optimize your study. Just let me know...

Best Regards,

Scott

Scott,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply. It is the first one I ever got on the matter.

I can tell you that I even though I wasan't feeling great on test day, I wasan't feeling as bad as I was when I got those low scores on CATs. In addition, when I took those CATs, I knew I was doing bad from the start, as opposed to the real exam, when I didn't have a hint until I saw my scores. This is why I don't think the weird pattern from my mocks applied to the real exam. But then again, I'm far from being an expert at this subject, and I'm all for ideas. If you still think I performed poorly due to my state of mind, despite everything thats been said here, then I believe you, and will try again in a month.

As to my willingness to study, I'm all for a challenge, but a challenge by itself isn't a great motivator for me. My goal was 600 because it felt within the GMAT range of classes for the programs I applied to and were waiting for my GMAT scores. However, since the day I sent them a copy of my unofficial reports, I've been getting some dubious responses, if not ridiculous. So right now, at this very moment, what I'm really feeling is a serious lack of motivation to go forward. If a 610 score with 80% on verbal and a B- GPA didn't take me as far as to deserve a serious reply from adcoms from 4-star universities, will a 710 ever get me inside any business schools? Will a 760? I'm not even talking about scholarships yet, which I'd certainly need. These could be stupid questions but hey, I didn't even know GMAT existed 3 months ago, and It's the first time I ever apply to BS. The uncertainties involved in this process are most disheartening.
Own Kudos [?]: 22194 [0]
Send PM
Re: 610 on first attempt, wanna improve [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Samir,

My pleasure. Regarding your test day performance, I suspect your intuition is a reasonable guide. If you felt "on your game," then you probably were. With that said, I still wonder about the variability both in your practice test scores and your actual scores. You may find these articles helpful:

https://blog.targettestprep.com/improvin ... -the-gmat/

https://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to-s ... -the-gmat/

https://blog.targettestprep.com/get-exci ... her-score/

https://blog.targettestprep.com/t-minus- ... your-gmat/

Regarding the role that GMAT scores play in the admissions process, MBA programs are seeing an increase in the mean GMAT scores of their matriculants. We saw this trend in full effect when Wharton and Kellogg recently released their 2017 class profiles. The mean GMAT score of Wharton’s class of 2017 increased four points to a 732, the highest it has ever been. Currently a 732 represents a 96th percentile score. In other words, only 4 percent of all GMAT takers worldwide earn a 732 or higher. The mean GMAT score at Kellogg’s class of 2017 increased by eight points to a staggering 724, representing approximately a 94th percentile score. Although selecting candidates with only the highest GMAT scores is not the goal of any school, the increase in the mean GMAT score at top programs could indicate a shift in the quality of applicants that top schools are interested in matriculating.

We’re also seeing programs receiving a record number of applications. For example, applications to Michigan’s Ross School of Business are up 30 percent, and applications to Yale’s School of Management are up 25 percent. Because of the higher numbers of applicants, admissions committees can be more selective in whom they choose to admit. This could certainly account for higher GMAT scores at top programs.

So - to answer your question, even if you're not applying to top 10 schools, there's a big difference between applying to business school with a 700 and a 610. Now - do you need a 760? Probably not. Would a 70- to 90-point increase in your GMAT score make you a more competitive applicant? It depends on the schools to which you're applying, but in general, I know a higher GMAT can help you. However, keep in mind that the GMAT score is not the only factor; your essays and interview are also important.

So - please let me know if you plan to move forward with another attempt at the GMAT. I think you can do much better than a 610. I'll do whatever I can to help you.

Best Regards,

Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Scott,

Thanks again for all the attention. I will most certainly give Targettestprep a look. I've been reading a lot of material lately, searching for an explanation to my failure, and I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that I merely messed up during the test. Too much confidence, perhaps? I don't know, but it must have been something related to my state of mind. I keep practicing my quant skills and sometimes I'm unable to answer easy questions, sometimes I get even the hardest ones in a flash. I gotta figure this out. I just found out that I didn't do great on my AWA either, but I'm usually good at writing.

BTW, do you have any numbers on MBAN (master of business analytics) programs in Canada?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37409 posts