Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q48, V36) [#permalink]
Thank you Leonidas and Amit. I will share my study profile in a day.

I am currently struggling to decide whether I should retake the exam. About me, I am a senior executive in a company with 12+ years of total experience, in a role managing 130+ people and in a role of delivery and relationship managerment with a pretty decent professional and academic record.

I am targeting only top 5 B schools. I would appreciate from the bottom of my heart if you guys can guide me (as I know this forum is an excellent place to be).

Thank you,
Praveen
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Send PM
KumarGMAT wrote:
Thank you Leonidas and Amit. I will share my study profile in a day.

I am currently struggling to decide whether I should retake the exam. About me, I am a senior executive in a company with 12+ years of total experience, in a role managing 130+ people and in a role of delivery and relationship managerment with a pretty decent professional and academic record.

I am targeting only top 5 B schools. I would appreciate from the bottom of my heart if you guys can guide me (as I know this forum is an excellent place to be).

Thank you,
Praveen

OMG !!! You have an excellent profile .... I bet you stand a great chance in the top 10 ....

I suggest you post your "detailed" profile and queries here : PEER REVIEW FORUM
I bet the people on that forum will guide you better ... they are experts ....

And yes ... This forum is an excellent place to be :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2901 [0]
Send PM
congrats .Its a good score indeed !!!all the very best for ur applications ..... :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q48, V36) (Debrief - Long one) [#permalink]
Dear All,

Though I was a little disappointed after seeing my score, as I strongly felt that I deserved more (at least 7**), but to my conviction, if a school likes my profile, they should not consider a delta of 10 or 20 that big, to refuse me (Again I think, I am being a bit optimistic.)

About my study, I have been thinking about GMAT for quite some time but I took the serious decision of writing it in mid of July. As I have mentioned before, I have a huge responsibility from my job front, needing on an average 12 to 14 hours a day (mostly having some work in the weekends also. In fact, just after coming from the test center, I had to leave to make a business presentation, hence this delay in wrting my post.

Seeing the nature of my job involvement, I realised very quickly, that I will never be able to study even a little bit without any thing that can keep me straight on to it, so I decided to take a course and went for Manhattan GMAT to just keep me on track.

Only thing I made sure that, I am studying regularly (even if it is an hour or so). I am from Engineering background, so, I was never bad in Maths barring a few areas like Cominatorics, where I did not focus much. My main issue was Verbal and that's where I had to ficus more. (In fact in my first practice test, I scored horrible in Verbal : 23 :).)

My study materials were :

(1) Manhattan Guides. I liked the SC part. (CR and RC not much.) Yes.. their Maths books are good in my opinion.

(2) OG.

and that's it.

Yes, I kept taking the practice tests at regular interval. But I think, the way, I should have worked on my weaknesses, I did not do. I could have worked on my weaknesses in a better way, and that is where your score improves, otherwise taking test does not help that much (that is what you can see in my trend.)

Test1 : MGMAT - Q46, V23 : 580
Test2 : MGMAT - Q46, V31 : 630
Test3 : MGMAT - Q44, V30 : 600
Test4 : MGMAT - Q46, V30 : 620
GMAT Prep 1 : - Q46, V30 : 620
GMAT Prep 2 : - Q47, V32 : 650
Test5 : MGMAT - Q44, V38 : 680
GMAT Prep 1 (R): - Q48, V34 : 660
GMAT Prep 2 (R): - Q48, V41 : 720
Test6 : MGMAT - Q49, V36 : 690
GMAT Prep 1 (RR): - Q48, V41 : 720

By looking at it, one thing you can notice that, I was improving in my later part of study duration and I was very confident in the SC and CR part. RC, I improved a lot. If you see RC questions: There are broadly two types of questions ( One, which are factual, you should be able to answer them efficiently without much hurdle.). (Second, inference, tone, implies, etc etc) If you practice enough, you will be able to guess what GMAT wants you to know. Basically, if you can get into their mind, you will be able to crack every thing.) So, Practice OG and OG .... That will help u a lot. In fact, go over the entire CR of OG at least twice, not only solve it but also try to think, what is the main thinking behind these questions... And interestingly, you will see a very definite trend in all these... At least I could see that.

Regarding Quant, seeing the minute details of questions is very critical, DONOT RUSH while solving it I repeat, DONOT RUSH. As rushing will not help in any way, creating unnecessarily panick. For example you calculated the value of x, and the answer is asking for x root 2, and there will be answer matching the value of x also, So, what I used to do, click on x and proceed, I almost always did this kind of mistake. 2 to 3 questions in every test I used to do that. And imagine, if you get these correct, your score will improve drastically, in fact that distinguishes between 48 and 51.

Occasionally, I used to come to GMAT club, and if I answer some thing correctly, used to feel happy, but was never able to participate in it a big way. (That is why you still see me as an intern only). :( Appreciate all of you with such a meticulous thought process answering the questions, Hats off to you all.

On the test day, in Quant, I was doing quite okay till 1st 20 questions and was very confident to the extent that I had NOT missed out any single question till that time. Then suddenly, one question came that stumped me and I refused to proceed and got stuck for 5 to 6 minutes and that panicked me. Not sure even now whether I got that right, but I lost my momentm.
Still continued and I had 6 minutes towards the end for 5 questions and I had no option to just go over them hurridly, I am sure I might have missed some of them, which resulted in 48.

After this, I told myself that forget whatever happened, I have to do some thing special in Verbal so that I stand some where with a respectful score. And went for a fag, made a determination. Verbal seemed pretty okay and I was able to do good in all the CRs and SCs that came my way. Got 4 RC passages, two were short and two big ones (one nasty with all Economics jargons), Could manage them. After I was done with my Verbal, I was pretty sure that I have made it (at least > 40). But the score dissapointed me with 36. I must have done some silly thing some where. Not sure where.

I am sorry, for being so long, but I am still confused as to, should I feel happy about my performance overall (??). Not sure. :) :(

Thats my story. Now trying to surf the net and checking with you guys about the next course, if you could advise.

Would like to thank Suresh, who suggested me to go for GMAT club challenge, I did that as It was already late and I took in just 10 days before my actual exam. I could only finish 7 quant of them and 2 from verbal. I scored in 70 percentile and in some of them 85+. In verbal, I scored in 90 percentile in that. These are excellent sources.

Thank You forum. Am sure, this will continue to be an excellent place to be, as Amit also said.

Take Care.
Praveen
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Congrats KumarGMAT. 690 is indeed a competitive score. And you have a good profile with lots of experience. Now it will depend how you prepare your package and sell yourself to bschools.
Good luck for application and essay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Honestly 690 is in line with your practice performance. You have a very good "older" profile, getting hung up on 30 pts is a very 25-yr old type of behavior. I would recommend not re-taking.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kumar, definitely no need to retake. With this profile, you hardly need the GMAT at all, I've heard that some EMBA programs waive the test requirement if you have ~15 years experience. Are you applying for an EMBA program, btw?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q48, V36) Got my AWA today (6.0) [#permalink]
Dear All,

Got my AWA today. its 6.0. Believe me, I had not expected. Any way, I am extremely happy about it.

I am indeed thankful to all of you for so many valuable advices.

I surfed the net and did some analysis & figured out, as indicated by some of you on the forum, that my profile fits more into Executive MBA and also some of the institutions like Harvard & Stanford tend to be more inclined towards 4 to 6 years of work ex. I agree to this, but my first preference would still be the regular course. I also got to know that primarily Wharton and Kellog have good EMBA programs and they are way ahead from other colleges in USA. hence we are limiting it two choices in US. There are some excellent EMBA courses in India like IIMA(called as PGPX) and it is an excellent course to go for. But the issue is that date is already over for 2009.

I am right now working on my application. Typically, looking at the higher side of my experience, I am givng a shot to some top ten US institutions (moved my band width from top 5 to top 10 :( ) also looking at some of the good Indian schools.

Wish me luck and thanks again to all of you.

Regards,
Praveen
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Good luck man. Be aware that the schools will try to push you to their EMBA programs, which are more expensive. You should have a ready answer why you want to do the regular program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
V36
i guess this raises your score
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder