Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Re: 700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong? [#permalink]
I think your 700 is within the range even for the top schools. Your GMAT is definitely not going to keep you back from getting accepted.
Speaking frankly, it seems your interest and extra curricular activities are not very well rounded. They lean heavily toward the technical side. For top schools, you need to convince them why you want a MBA and why now. From your profile, it sounds like your are more ready for another technical graduate degree.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Unfortunately, you're only giving yourself 9 months. Adcoms are well aware that many people try to beef up their resume of extracurriculars, by adding things just a few months prior to applications are due, and as such, they largely ignore these efforts. That said, it's probably starting to get a bit late to beef up that side of the app, although I'd still recommend adding a bit more, although it's important to show growth and impact in a few things as opposed to many, so perhaps notably expanding upon one of your extracurriculars is the way to go.

Other that ECs, at this point the thing that would probably be the most beneficial (even moreso than ECs), is really fine tuning your story of why you want and MBA as well as why now. Look into the schools extensively, visit them and get to know the students, so you can really sell the fit side of the equation. I have this feeling you're really going to need to sell yourself to gain admission, so I'd start working on this and thinking about it critically - this is probably the best thing you can do for yourself in 9 months.

Aside from that, the GMAT is about the only thing that you can strongly influence at this point, so I'd go there, as a 700, while good, may be a hinderance given you low GPAs as well as weak ECs.

In my opinion, it's worth applying to some of the schools you're likely thinking about, but I'd make sure to have some top 30s in there to boot, as the top 10, in particular this year and next, you might find gaining admission difficult...just my 2 cents. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot