Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 2

700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 10:18
So, on June 14th, (6 months ago) I took the GMAT for the first time and got 700 (Q49,V35).
Instead of re-taking the test with in a month or two, I waited 6 months (to deal with some family issues) only to get 670 (Q49,V32).

Can anyone help me what kind of message am I passing to schools by going from 700 to 670?
I am planning to apply in 2009. I am very much leaning away from taking the test for the 3rd time. I am completely exhausted.
My profile: Indian/male/28/experience 4 years in IT / Undergrad GPA 3.0 / Masters in Computer Engg in US with GPA 3.2 / very limited extra curriculars
Extra curricular negatives - no awards, did not start anything from scratch, did not raise any kind of money etc.
Extra curricular positives - Very much interested in math, worked as math tutor for 3 years during my under grad, Ping pong runner up in university games in undergrad , Can play harmonica, interested in php open source web development, maintaining couple of websites.
My Masters university is an average university. (Not in top 10, 20 or even 100)

4 years of full time work experience in health care company (one of the world leaders in health care industry.)

Since my GPAs are terrible I thought I should get 730+ in GMAT. But to my surprise, I was staring at 670 on Saturday.
Does this mean I am begging the adcoms NOT to let me in?

What would you do if you have 9 months in your hand to improve the chances of getting into top Elite / Ultra Elite?
I am interested in schools in New England, NY,NH. ( I know I am aiming high again:-))

Many Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: 700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 12:33
30 point standard deviation is really nothing. In fact, my MGMAt instructor is required to take MGMAT every few months and she said her range was from 740 to 770.

If your top school choice is one of the top 10 programs, then I suggest you raise your score little bit, especially on verbal.

Otherwise, the school will take your 1st score.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 2

Re: 700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:27
Many Thanks ninkorn. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: 700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 17:16
I think your 700 is within the range even for the top schools. Your GMAT is definitely not going to keep you back from getting accepted.
Speaking frankly, it seems your interest and extra curricular activities are not very well rounded. They lean heavily toward the technical side. For top schools, you need to convince them why you want a MBA and why now. From your profile, it sounds like your are more ready for another technical graduate degree.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: 700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 10:11
Unfortunately, you're only giving yourself 9 months. Adcoms are well aware that many people try to beef up their resume of extracurriculars, by adding things just a few months prior to applications are due, and as such, they largely ignore these efforts. That said, it's probably starting to get a bit late to beef up that side of the app, although I'd still recommend adding a bit more, although it's important to show growth and impact in a few things as opposed to many, so perhaps notably expanding upon one of your extracurriculars is the way to go.

Other that ECs, at this point the thing that would probably be the most beneficial (even moreso than ECs), is really fine tuning your story of why you want and MBA as well as why now. Look into the schools extensively, visit them and get to know the students, so you can really sell the fit side of the equation. I have this feeling you're really going to need to sell yourself to gain admission, so I'd start working on this and thinking about it critically - this is probably the best thing you can do for yourself in 9 months.

Aside from that, the GMAT is about the only thing that you can strongly influence at this point, so I'd go there, as a 700, while good, may be a hinderance given you low GPAs as well as weak ECs.

In my opinion, it's worth applying to some of the schools you're likely thinking about, but I'd make sure to have some top 30s in there to boot, as the top 10, in particular this year and next, you might find gaining admission difficult...just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Re: 700 -- > 670 Are my priorities wrong?   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2008, 10:11