Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wholly king sized box of cracker jacks!!! I think I`d do a backflip then and there if I saw a score like that pop up on the screen. Good luck with your apps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats really a cool score...man u must have prepared like anything...Ur score shows it all
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
amazing stuff man...guess all those hard work ya put in must have paid well..keep going and good luck with the apps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
Re: 770 (Q50, V44) [#permalink]
Great score.
congratulations. :good
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
great score.
Congrats.

Good luck with you apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well done doudou

confidence is important for staying calm; you had a lot of it; outstanding

Please provide some more detailed evaluations of the difficulty of:

- OG 11th
- GMAT-Club-Forum
- GMATPrep

Of which format were the hardest questions in your actual test? What made them difficult?

Many thanks

(aren't doudous extinct?)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here is how I prepared for it:

First, a little bit more about me. I work as a software architect for a fortune 500 company in the States. I have been thinking about getting into the business side for quite some time. Part time MBA program in my local university, however, is not that great. A full time program only make sense financially if I get into a top 15 business school. So getting a 700+ is almost a must. The tough part is that I have family and kids, and my work requires international travel. Basically I can only afford a couple of months of preparation time, and not every day.

I started preparing in late September. I used the following books in addition to PowerPrep and GMATPrep: Kaplan 2005, Kaplan 800, and OG11. I also acquired OG10 and the Princeton Review book, but never got around to use them. I chose the Kaplan books specifically because their difficulty. I wanted to be able to handle the most difficult questions possible.

I took the Kaplan diagnostic test first and got a 570 (Q38, V32). I was quite disappointed, partly because the score is so low, partly because I used to thought I had no problem with quant questions. I felt much better after I used the wonderful but now broken score estimator on GMAT Club because a Kaplan 570 usually maps to actual GMAT score of 650+. Hope somebody here can fix the estimator.

Once I knew where I standed, I worked through everything on the Kaplan CD. I highly recommend both the math and verbal reviews. I didn't read the paper book. After that I worked through every question on the Kaplan 800. Below are my CAT scores during this period:
* Kaplan CAT1: 640 (V35, Q46)
* Kaplan Paper: 650 (v38, Q48)
* PowerPrep 1: 730 (V??, Q??)
* Kaplan CAT2: 650 (V36, Q50)
* Kaplan CAT3: 630 (V32, Q50)
* Kaplan CAT4: 670 (V37, Q48) - Some duplicates and a few gliches

After the Kaplan books, I went though the OG11 book and again worked through every question. The questions in OG11 are much more closer to the actual test, but quite different from the Kaplan books. Then I took the other PowerPrep test and the 2 GMATPrep tests:
* GMATPrep 1: 750 (V42, Q50) - after RC and CR.
* PowerPrep 2: 750 (V40, Q50)
* GMATPrep 2: 720 (V40, Q49)
As I found out, the 2 PowerPrep tests share many questions with OG11. However the GMATPrep tests almost have no duplicates with OG11. For me, the difficulty for the GMATPrep tests is slight higher than the actual test for quantative and almost the same for verbal. The experience for GMATPrep tests is almost the same as the actual test.

In addition to the books, I highly recommend the following resource: https://home.comcast.net/~dave.kim/GMAT_ ... rategy.htm. I have read thought it a couple of times.

For AWA, in addition to writing every one during practice tests, I spent a couple of days to thought though all the AWA topic in OG11. I normally spent 5 to 10 minutes on each topic and mentially wrote the essays. This has certainly boosted my confidence during the actual test. I am still waiting what score I can get.

Basically this was how I prepared for the test. It worked for me but it may not work for everyone. My suggestion is that everybody needs to formulate a test preparation strategy. Reading forum topics on GMAT Club and other sites like ScoreTop and TestMagic helps a lot. You can also download a file that contains hundreds(?) of test experiences (many old) from Dave's site.

Hope this is helpful.

doudou
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Got my offical score report with AWA 5.0. Guess my strategy worked pretty well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, awsome job! Hope I'm not too late in saying congratulations!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts