Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [75]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619153 [33]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619153 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Re: Selecting a panel [#permalink]
I get it now... Thank you Bunuel!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT Date: 05-12-2012
Send PM
Hi Bunuel! In your explanation for statement 1, I understand that (x+2)! equals to (x+2)*(x+1)*x in the nominator but I don't understand how you got rid of (x-1)! in the denominator. Could you please explain?
Thanks for your help!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT Date: 05-12-2012
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot for the explanation Bunuel!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619153 [2]
Send PM
Re: A certain panel is to be composed of exactly three women and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Combinations: math-combinatorics-87345.html

DS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=31
PS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=52

Tough and tricky questions on Combinations: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Hraisha wrote:
Hi Bunuel! In your explanation for statement 1, I understand that (x+2)! equals to (x+2)*(x+1)*x in the nominator but I don't understand how you got rid of (x-1)! in the denominator. Could you please explain?
Thanks for your help!!

Not so.

\((x+2)!=1*2*3*...*(x-1)*x*(x+1)*(x+2)=(x-1)!*x*(x+1)*(x+2)\);

\(\frac{(x+2)!}{(x-1)!}=\frac{(x-1)!*x*(x+1)*(x+2)}{(x-1)!}=x*(x+1)*(x+2)\), as you can see \((x-1)!\) is just being reduced.

Hope it's clear.

So in the same sense if we had (x-2)!*(x-1)!*3 in the denominator (x-2)!*(x-1)! would have been reduced?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 12-26-2013
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(1) NC3=56
Only way this is possible is if N=8 i.e, 8*7*6/3! = 56

As N=X+2 => X=6 ; No info on Y, thus insufficient

(2) No values provided. Thus insufficient.

(1)+(2) => X=6;Y=5

Therefore "C"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I do not feel right about Bunuel's explanation for (1) option.

56 different groups of 3 women would include 2 men also right.

so

(x+2 C 3)*(y C 2) = 56 but not (x+2 C 3 = 56).

Am I right. :|
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619153 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
yrt wrote:
I do not feel right about Bunuel's explanation for (1) option.

56 different groups of 3 women would include 2 men also right.

so

(x+2 C 3)*(y C 2) = 56 but not (x+2 C 3 = 56).

Am I right. :|

No, you are not right.

(1) says: IF two more women were available for selection, exactly 56 different groups of three women could be selected. This hypothetical situation talks only about selection of three women IF two more women were available.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Hraisha wrote:
Thanks for your help!!

Not so.

\(\frac{(x+2)!}{(x-1)!}=\frac{(x-1)!*x*(x+1)*(x+2)}{(x-1)!}=x*(x+1)*(x+2)\), as you can see \((x-1)!\) is just being reduced.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

As the other poster, I'm having a hard time following your simplification method.

Isn't (x+2)! = (x+2)(x+1)(x) ? Where are the negatives and single integers coming from? Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619153 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Hraisha wrote:
Thanks for your help!!

Not so.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

As the other poster, I'm having a hard time following your simplification method.

Isn't (x+2)! = (x+2)(x+1)(x) ? Where are the negatives and single integers coming from? Thanks!

Factorial of a positive integer n, denoted by n!, is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to n. For instance 5!=1*2*3*4*5.

Hence the factorial of (x+2) is \((x+2)!=1*2*3*...*(x-1)*x*(x+1)*(x+2)=(x-1)!*x*(x+1)*(x+2)\). Notice that 1*2*3*...*(x-1)*x*(x+1) is factorial of (x+1), so (x+1)!. Where do you see negative numbers there?

For more check here: math-number-theory-88376.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
russ9 wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Factorial of a positive integer n, denoted by n!, is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to n. For instance 5!=1*2*3*4*5.

Hence the factorial of (x+2) is \((x+2)!=

1*2*3*...*(x-1)*

x*(x+1)*(x+2)=(x-1)!*x*(x+1)*(x+2)\). Notice that 1*2*3*...*(x-1)*x*(x+1) is factorial of (x+1), so (x+1)!. Where do you see negative numbers there?

For more check here: math-number-theory-88376.html

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

I read the math theory page and i'm not seeing a section for factorials of an equation such as (x+2).

I understand the process that n! = N*(n-1)*(n-2)...

By that token - wouldn't (x+2)! be x*(x+1)*(x+2)? Why are you going on the other end of the number line essentially and more importantly, how are the 1*2*3 popping up? Also, what I meant by negative numbers is the expression (x-1)!

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
russ9 wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

I read the math theory page and i'm not seeing a section for factorials of an equation such as (x+2).

By that token - wouldn't (x+2)! be x*(x+1)*(x+2)? Why are you going on the other end of the number line essentially and more importantly, how are the 1*2*3 popping up? Also, what I meant by negative numbers is the expression (x-1)!

Thanks.

Russ9 :
Factorial n denoted by n! is equal to multiplication of all integers starting from 1 till n.
So,notation n! is a shortcut to the expression : n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3)*....3*2*1.
Now,
(x+2)! = (x+2)*(x+1)*(x)*(x-1)*......*1
= (x+2)* (x+1) * [(x)*(x-1)*.....*1]
= (x+2)* (x+1)* [x!]
= (x+2)* (x+1)* x!

Kudos is the best form of appreciation
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatacequants wrote:
russ9 wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks.

Russ9 :
Factorial n denoted by n! is equal to multiplication of all integers starting from 1 till n.
So,notation n! is a shortcut to the expression : n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3)*....3*2*1.
Now,
(x+2)! = (x+2)*(x+1)*(x)*(x-1)*......*1
= (x+2)* (x+1) * [(x)*(x-1)*.....*1]
= (x+2)* (x+1)* [x!]
= (x+2)* (x+1)* x!

Kudos is the best form of appreciation

Very clear - i was missing the highlighted part! Kudos to you. Thanks!
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:
A certain panel is to be composed of exactly three women and exactly two men, chosen from x women and y men. How many different panels can be formed with these constraints?

(1) If two more women were available for selection, exactly 56 different groups of three women could be selected.

(2) x = y + 1

Question: \(C^{3}_{x}*C^{2}_{y}=?\) So we need the values of \(x\) and \(y\).

(1) \(C^{3}_{x+2}=56\) --> there is only one \(x\) to satisfy this (meaning that there is only one number out of which we can make 56 different selections of 3, so \(x+2\) is some specific number which gives some specific \(x\)), but we know nothing about \(y\). Not sufficient.

Just to illustrate how to find \(x\): \(C^{3}_{x+2}=56\) --> \(\frac{(x+2)!}{(x+2-3)!*3!}=56\) --> \(\frac{(x+2)!}{(x-1)!*3!}=56\) --> \(\frac{x(x+1)(x+2)}{3!}=56\) --> \(x(x+1)(x+2)=6*7*8\) --> \(x=6\). << --- how to calculate roots fast for 3rd degree polynomial.

(2) x = y + 1. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) we know \(x\), so from (2) we can get \(y\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

How you calculated the value of X for 3rd degree polynomial ? Is there any test for third or above degree polynomial to guess signs of the roots without solving equation ? (Whether polynomial has 0 one of the root or n number of negative or positive roots )

Thanks.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:
A certain panel is to be composed of exactly three women and exactly two men, chosen from x women and y men. How many different panels can be formed with these constraints?

(1) If two more women were available for selection, exactly 56 different groups of three women could be selected.

(2) x = y + 1

Question: \(C^{3}_{x}*C^{2}_{y}=?\) So we need the values of \(x\) and \(y\).

(1) \(C^{3}_{x+2}=56\) --> there is only one \(x\) to satisfy this (meaning that there is only one number out of which we can make 56 different selections of 3, so \(x+2\) is some specific number which gives some specific \(x\)), but we know nothing about \(y\). Not sufficient.

Just to illustrate how to find \(x\): \(C^{3}_{x+2}=56\) --> \(\frac{(x+2)!}{(x+2-3)!*3!}=56\) --> \(\frac{(x+2)!}{(x-1)!*3!}=56\) --> \(\frac{x(x+1)(x+2)}{3!}=56\) --> \(x(x+1)(x+2)=6*7*8\) --> \(x=6\). << --- how to calculate roots fast for 3rd degree polynomial.

(2) x = y + 1. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) we know \(x\), so from (2) we can get \(y\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

How you calculated the value of X for 3rd degree polynomial ? Is there any test for third or above degree polynomial to guess signs of the roots without solving equation ? (Whether polynomial has 0 one of the root or n number of negative or positive roots )

Thanks.

I did not solve. 336 is the product of three consecutive positive integers, then I broke 336 into 6*7*8 making x to be 6. As I wrote in my solution you don't need to solve, you just need to know that you can solve and get x.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
I did not solve. 336 is the product of three consecutive positive integers, then I broke 336 into 6*7*8 making x to be 6. As I wrote in my solution you don't need to solve, you just need to know that you can solve and get x.

What if in case we have equation for which there are 2 or more real roots ? Is there any way to just look at the signs of coefficients and predict signs of the roots?
I tried to google out my query but failed to get any answer.

Thanks
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

What if in case we have equation for which there are 2 or more real roots ? Is there any way to just look at the signs of coefficients and predict signs of the roots?
I tried to google out my query but failed to get any answer.

Thanks

You don't need to know how to solve 3rd or higher degree equations for the GMAT and you don't need this for this particular question either.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts