Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 21

A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

14% (02:00) correct 86% (02:24) wrong based on 42 sessions
A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central processing unit 'freezes up' and cannot respond to further commands or perform additional functions. In the split second during a computer crash, however, certain functions are still possible. When cindy's micron 401 computer crashed, she suspected it was due to an electrical power surge to the computer. The micron 401 computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message on the screen before the computer 'freezes'. However an error message can be triggered by an electrical power surge to the computer. Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged. Upon restarting her computer, cindy determined its hard drive was not damaged.

Which one of the following must be true on basis of the information above ?

(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer 's hard drive would have been damaged.

(B) The micron 401's hard drive is specially suited to withstand computer crashes.

(c) If the the micron 401's crash was not due to an electrical power surge, the computer's processor worked unusually fast during the crash.

(D) The micron 401 computer is built to withstand electrical power surges.

(E) If an error message appeared on the screen of the micron 401, it did so only after computer crashed.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 08:04
Aj85 wrote:
A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central processing unit 'freezes up' and cannot respond to further commands or perform additional functions. In the split second during a computer crash, however, certain functions are still possible. When cindy's micron 401 computer crashed, she suspected it was due to an electrical power surge to the computer. The micron 401 computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message on the screen before the computer 'freezes'. However an error message can be triggered by an electrical power surge to the computer. Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged. Upon restarting her computer, cindy determined its hard drive was not damaged.
No Damage -> Message triggered -> Electrical power surge
Electrical power surge-> still the hard drive is safe-> The micron 401 computer is built to withstand electrical power surges
Hence "D"

(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer 's hard drive would have been damaged.

(B) The micron 401's hard drive is specially suited to withstand computer crashes.

(c) If the the micron 401's crash was not due to an electrical power surge, the computer's processor worked unusually fast during the crash.

(E) If an error message appeared on the screen of the micron 401, it did so only after computer crashed.

Wow, I am the first one to fight the battle against this question.

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 08:18
B

[caption=]Remember: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.[/caption]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 08:22
IMO D
Took 3 mins :|
OA?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 7

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS

Confusing subject matter but my vote goes with C because it seems to paraphrase the argument and to not be as strongly worded as the other choices.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 20:15
I must agree that this one is a tough question.. What is the source of this question (Please don't give me LSAT name for this)

I am confused between option C and option D. Option B can be simply ruled out because we cannot infer that "hard drive is specially suited"

Option A -- talks just the opposite.. It is given in the question that if the processor workes faster an error message is produced.

option E can also be ruled out because the scenario described is not possible - it is given that the error message is produced during the crash and not after the crash.

I will choose option D. Reason --

Events given are:- Hard Drive not damaged --> possible reason (Error message was displayed) -- > But the processor of micron 401 PC is not ususally fast, so this can be ruled out that the processor worked unusually fast during the crash.. --> the only possibility that seems possible is that there was an ELECTRONIC SURGE (it is given that error message can be produced via Electronic surge) ---> this means that micron 401 is build to withstand ELECTRONIC SURGE because even after the crash, the Hard Drive was safe..

Please let me know what is the official answer. I will not be surprised if I am wrong because this question is way too tricky.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 20:28
I would also go with D

OA?

Regards,
Archana

Regards,
Archana

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 21

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 21:01
I also go with D.. took three mins to understand

Electrical --> Computer give warning--> it is protected against power surge
Manager
Manager

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 21:11
Depaulian wrote:
B

y I said B is

Cindy suspected that its an electrical surge, which means that an error msg trigger by electrical surge was displayed before crashing.

and it is given Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged, but nting is said for sure abt the state of hard drive if the error msg is displayed.
That can only be confirmed(or determined as cindy did) by restarting the system after the crash.
so it tells that the harddrive is capable of withstanding the crash option B

It cannot be option D, because it says The micron 401 computer is built to withstand electrical power surges..If 401 was buit to withstand electrical power surges , it wudn't have crashed in the first place.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 21:52
+1 for D

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 00:05
will vote for C. Though D also looks correct!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 21

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 04:32
Hii guys, thanks for attempting this question. Its really tough question as even acknowledged by the kaplan test prep. I got answer choice D as many of you did, but option D is wrong. Lvnguyen87 kudos to you for going the right way and avoiding deductions which are outside the scope of argument.

Here is the concise form of explanation from kaplan - :

(A) There's no stated connection between the speed of the processor and the hard drive, so we can eliminate A.

(B) and (D) - The intention behind the 401's construction is never addressed; its away outside the scope.

(E) is impossible. A crash is characterised by a 'freeze', so after a crash no additional function can be performed.

Correct answer Is C.

The main info provided by the argument is that hard drive was not damaged. If the hard drive is not damaged then there cannot be 'no error message', which means that there is an error message. we are told that usually , the processor doesn't work quickly enough to produce the error message, and that such a message could instead result from electrical power surge. But what if there was no surge ? since we have already deduced that error message must have appeared, we can deduce that in absence of electrical surge , the processor must have worked unusually fast during the crash. This is a particularly tough question because the formal logic statements combine to lead to a nice deduction, but that deduction is not the answer; it only leads to the answer.

@saketkhard - The source is Kaplan LSAT 180 and believe me it is highest level cr question.

The main thing to remember is in conclusion questions we have to deduce things from whatever we are given and not bring any extra info.
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [1] , given: 376

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
Aj85 wrote:

Which one of the following must be true on basis of the information above?

(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer's hard drive would have been damaged.

Good question. Beyond GMAT difficulty level, I hope.

Facts:
Computer crashed.
Hard drive was not damaged.
Message was triggered.(This is an inference to hold the previous statement true)

Message could be triggered in at least two scenarios:
1. When computer crashed because of electrical power surge.
2. If computer didn't crash because of electrical power surge and the processor was unusually fast.

"C" takes 2 into consideration.
"computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message". Had the computer been slow during the crash as usual, the error message wouldn't have appeared and would have resulted in the hard-drive damage; however, the damage didn't happen because 401 was fast enough to generate the required message and the crash didn't damage the hard-drive.

Let's also rule out others:
(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer's hard drive would have been damaged.
Opposite of what we just saw for C.

"The micron 401 computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message".
"Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged"
So much for B to be true.

Two things:
1. It says computer is built to withstand the surge. It should have said "hard-drive" is built to withstand the surges.
2. Even if we assume that "hard-drive is built to withstand electrical power surges", the assumption may not be true.
Look at this:
"However an error message can be triggered by an electrical power surge to the computer"
We know that when an error message is not generated, the hard-drive crashes. We can't infer the opposite from this i.e.
"when an error message is generated, the hard-drive doesn't crash"
Also,
The word "can" is giving us a possibility that the message CAN be generated; it doesn't mean the message WILL be generated. When the message could not be generated after the surge, then also the hard-drive will be damaged, falsifying D.

Some activity can happen during the crash, but everything freezes after the crash. No way this can happen. False.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 21

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 10:00
Thx fluke for the very good reply to this question. I think sometimes size of question and amount of info to deal with makes a question very intimidating. For me instead of calmly reading the question one time I was rushing from first sentence to last and because of that ended up reading it many times, wasted time and still couldn't get the right understanding. And yes this may be beyond GMAT level question, I usually do well on LSAT questions but my accuracy rate for questions of this book 'Kaplan lsat 180' is not very good. I believe it has questions which are even above LSAT level.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 43

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 18:15
IMO C. This question looks more like a LSAT question than a GMAT question. It uses deductive reasoning.

Aj85 wrote:

(c) If the the micron 401's crash was not due to an electrical power surge, the computer's processor worked unusually fast during the crash. -if the computer was crashed and the hard disk was not destroyed, it means that an error message was produced. Also an error message is produced by electrical power surge. So lets assume if it was not produced by electrical power surge, the computer might have worked unusually fast

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 20:34
Aj85 wrote:
Thx fluke for the very good reply to this question. I think sometimes size of question and amount of info to deal with makes a question very intimidating. For me instead of calmly reading the question one time I was rushing from first sentence to last and because of that ended up reading it many times, wasted time and still couldn't get the right understanding. And yes this may be beyond GMAT level question, I usually do well on LSAT questions but my accuracy rate for questions of this book 'Kaplan lsat 180' is not very good. I believe it has questions which are even above LSAT level.

OMG...dere r questions even beyond LSAT lvl ?? :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 06:47
very tricky wording...i don't know why i marked E...should have read the question properly...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 21:50
C++
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Just plain tough ! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 11:31
Real toughie!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 21:53
No error message means no electrical power surge.
No hard disk crash means CPU worked faster to avoid.
C is the only one that satisfies the above criteria!
Re: A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2012, 21:53