Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3948 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: A train passes a man standing on a platform in 9 sec. and pa [#permalink]
EvaJager wrote:
NYC5648 wrote:
If Radius BC equals 2, What is the area of the shaded region of the circle formed by the rectangle inscribed in the circle?

OA: 4/3 pi - sqrt 3

Can somebody please explain a step-by-step solution please.

Thanks!!!

The diagonal of the rectangle is diameter in the circle and therefore its length is 4.
The right triangle formed by a diagonal and two adjacent sides of the rectangle is a 30-60-90 rectangle (because the short leg is half of the hypotenuse).
The other side of the rectangle is therefore \(2\sqrt{3}.\)

The shaded area can be obtained by subtracting from the circular sector defined by two radii (half diagonals) with an angle of \(120^o\) between them the area of the triangle formed by the same two radii and the long side of the rectangle.
The are of the circular sector is \(\pi\cdot2^2\cdot\frac{120}{360}=\frac{4\pi}{3}\) and the area of the triangle is 1/4 of the area of the rectangle, which is \(2\cdot2\sqrt{3}=4\sqrt{3}.\)
In any parallelogram, so also in a rectangle, the two diagonals divide the paralellogram into four triangles with equal areas.
Two radii with the short side of the rectangle form an equilateral triangle, while two radii with the long side of the rectangle form an isosceles triangle with angles 30-30-120.

The requested area is \(\frac{4\pi}{3}-\sqrt{3}.\)

Hi EVA,
thanks a lot for you detailed explanation. But I still dont get it.
Where I have problems to follow is the following:

The shaded area can be obtained by subtracting from the circular sector defined by two radii (half diagonals) with an angle of \(120^o\) between them the area of the triangle formed by the same two radii and the long side of the rectangle.

Two radii with the short side of the rectangle form an equilateral triangle, while two radii with the long side of the rectangle form an isosceles triangle with angles 30-30-120.

Maybe I am blind but I dont see it.

Thanks!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The two circles are inscribed in the rectangle as shown above. If line segment AB, length 0.4, is perpendicular to line segment CD and line segment CD is tangent to the circle, what is the approximate area of the shaded region of the rectangle?

Absolutely no clue. Can anybody help please?

Thanks!
Attachments

Tricky geometry.png
Tricky geometry.png [ 7.89 KiB | Viewed 3252 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
In the Square above the length of line AB is 4 and angle BAC is 45 degrees. Approximately what is the circumference of the circle?

OA: 20 pi

Thanks!!!
Attachments

Tricky geometry 2.png
Tricky geometry 2.png [ 14.83 KiB | Viewed 3226 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
CDEB is a parallelogram and P is the midpoint of ED. If GB = 5 what is the length of BA =?

Can anybody provide a step by step solution. I am totally stuck here.

Thanks!!!
Attachments

Tricky 3.png
Tricky 3.png [ 16.36 KiB | Viewed 3236 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
ABCD is a Trapezoid:
AP = x – 1
PC = 3
DP = 2x – 13
PB = x – 5

What is the value of x?

Any idea how to solve this kind of problem? Probably I am missing a concept again.

Thanks!
Attachments

Tricky 4.png
Tricky 4.png [ 15.05 KiB | Viewed 3245 times ]

Director
Director
Send PM
NYC5648 wrote:
NYC5648 wrote:
In the figure to the right what is the length of the longest side, if all of the triangles are right triangles?

OA: 2 sqrt 3

Looking forward to your answers.. Thanks!!!

metallicafan wrote:
\(\sqrt{12} = 2\sqrt{3}\)

You have to calculate the hypotenuse for each triangle, starting from the smallest triangle.
EvaJager wrote:
NYC5648 wrote:
In the figure to the right what is the length of the longest side, if all of the triangles are right triangles?

Apply Pythagoras starting with the triangle with sides 1 and 1. The hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{2}.\)
In the next right triangle, the hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{3}\) ... the longest hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{12}=\sqrt{2^2\cdot3}=2\sqrt{3}.\)
EvaJager wrote:
NYC5648 wrote:

Apply Pythagoras starting with the triangle with sides 1 and 1. The hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{2}.\)
In the next right triangle, the hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{3}\) ... the longest hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{12}=\sqrt{2^2\cdot3}=2\sqrt{3}.\)

Thanks for the answer. I got the idea behind it! Thanks. But still I dont get that the longest hypotenuse is 2 srt 3. When I apply Pythagoras theorem I get 4 as an answer. Could you please explain. Thanks!

The first hypotenuse squared is \(1^2+1^2=2\). This hypotenuse is one of the legs in the next right triangle. We are going to apply Pythagoras's again, so no need to take the square root of it.
The second hypotenuse squared is \(2+1^2=3\).
The third hypotenuse squared is \(3+1^2=4\).

Finally, the longest hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{12}=\sqrt{2^2\cdot3}=2\sqrt{3}.\)

Make a drawing and mark where you have the right angles. It will help you when applying Pythagoras's.
Director
Director
Send PM
NYC5648 wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
NYC5648 wrote:
If Radius BC equals 2, What is the area of the shaded region of the circle formed by the rectangle inscribed in the circle?

OA: 4/3 pi - sqrt 3

Can somebody please explain a step-by-step solution please.

Thanks!!!

The diagonal of the rectangle is diameter in the circle and therefore its length is 4.
The right triangle formed by a diagonal and two adjacent sides of the rectangle is a 30-60-90 rectangle (because the short leg is half of the hypotenuse).
The other side of the rectangle is therefore \(2\sqrt{3}.\)

The are of the circular sector is \(\pi\cdot2^2\cdot\frac{120}{360}=\frac{4\pi}{3}\) and the area of the triangle is 1/4 of the area of the rectangle, which is \(2\cdot2\sqrt{3}=4\sqrt{3}.\)
In any parallelogram, so also in a rectangle, the two diagonals divide the paralellogram into four triangles with equal areas.

The requested area is \(\frac{4\pi}{3}-\sqrt{3}.\)

Hi EVA,
thanks a lot for you detailed explanation. But I still dont get it.
Where I have problems to follow is the following:

Maybe I am blind but I dont see it.

Thanks!!!

Copy the drawing from the question and add the two diagonals. Mark the angles and don't forget that the two diagonals are equal and bisect each other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q38 V33
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
"Two men plan to run in opposite directions around a park 1 km long. The first man can run 15 meters in a minute and the second can run 25 meters per minute. How much further will the second runner have run at the point they cross paths? "

What does "How much further will the second runner have run at the point they cross paths?" mean?
Is "point they cross paths" mean the meeting place?
Should the 1000 m be considered a circle or a straight line?
"further will the second runner.." - could not understand this term too.

Can you please help.

Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts