Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Admission Essays tips? [#permalink]
spiridon wrote:
those topics that u mentioned (why mba and goals) are covered in other two essays with those topics

this one is supposed to be 'insight' one - where u have to tell who u r

:)

I didn't say you should discuss "why MBA" and "goals". I said your answer should somehow relate to your getting your MBA or your goals.

I think if your essay has nothing to do with getting an MBA, you'll miss out on a opportunity to showcase your talents.

If you wrote that your favorite possession was your grandfather's old watch because of how much it reminded you of the good times you had together, you'll tell the adcom nothing. Now if you said that your favorite possession was your grandfather's old watch because it reminded you of him and the life lessons he taught you (honesty, persistence, charity) then you'd be getting a lot of value out of the essay.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Well, the thing is if this is supposed to be a 'creative' type essay, is it a good idea to incorporate MBA drives into it or should the focus be on the personality traits and self revelation
Current Student
Send PM
spiridon wrote:
Well, the thing is if this is supposed to be a 'creative' type essay, is it a good idea to incorporate MBA drives into it or should the focus be on the personality traits and self revelation

I think you should focus on personality traits or self-revelation that have some connection to your MBA goals (in a very general sense). HOWEVER! You don't need to make a direct connection.

In other words you don't need to say "Doing X activity has allowed me to acquire the skills to better understand marketing." For these types of "creative" essays, you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) mention your MBA goals. HOWEVER! You should highlight traits or reveal something about yourself that would put you in a positive light in the adcom's eyes. After reading the essay you want the adcom to think "This guy would be a great fit for our school!".

For example, you might say "The person who has had the biggest impact on my life is my grandfather because he taught me how important honesty is." Leave it at that. You don't need to state the importance of honesty to your MBA goals, it's self-evident. But it's important that you highlight something relevant.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I think you should focus on personality traits or self-revelation that have some connection to your MBA goals (in a very general sense). HOWEVER! You don't need to make a direct connection.

I second that opinion. I think the topics you are struggling with are designed for the AdCom to get to know you. What makes you tick? What inspires you? It should be a very personal and insightful essay that reveal something about what you would be like as a MBA? Would you give up family and friend for success? etc.

topic 1: You should reveal what matters to you. Use the possession to demonstrate why blah blah blah matter to you. For example, Michael Jordan autographed basketball because I admire leadership and persistence, blah blah blah.

topic 2. You should reveal what type of person you aspire to. For example, I like Huckleberry Finn because he's adventurous and follows his heart.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot