Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
23 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 692

Kudos [?]: 3058 [23] , given: 890

Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey folks!
So, I have resumed my GMAT preparation and thought about making an "advanced" PPT for us.
Most notes are from Manhattan resources and Notes from GMATClub alums :-)
Enjoy
Also attached a Question Bank specifically testing the advanced topics.
Here is a sample slide from the PDF
Attachment:
sample.png
sample.png [ 67.33 KiB | Viewed 10842 times ]

Attachments

SC advanced Question Bank.pdf [215.68 KiB]
Downloaded 2702 times

To download please login or register as a user

Advanced Sentence Correction.pdf [510.4 KiB]
Downloaded 3231 times

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2627 [1] , given: 697

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 17

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Great Compilation!!

PPT format very helpful.

Do you have the answer key of the question bank??

Will be gr8 to know the Question bank source.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3058 [0], given: 890

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:29
Expert's post
soumens wrote:
Great Compilation!!

PPT format very helpful.

Do you have the answer key of the question bank??

Will be gr8 to know the Question bank source.

Yeah so all the questions are from GMATPrep!
Googling and GMATClubbing can totally give you the OA.
And that is the best way to do it. so that you get all the possible explanations and get benefited from rich discussions!

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 31

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Souvik, I have my test on Tuesday, will be using your material as i do last minute prep.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 11:17
Expert's post
vomhorizon wrote:
Thanks Souvik, I have my test on Tuesday, will be using your material as i do last minute prep.

Hi there!
SO the PPT is actually made for last minute revision but DO NOT mistake the guidelines for set rules.

All the best and let us know how it goes!

Souvik

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 181

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ... thanks for the great effort

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [3] , given: 24

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
Kudos. I like this - you obviously put a lot of work into it. A few suggestions:

Slide 2: I would not put most of these into an avoid/use classification system because there are actually specific rules/idioms that govern the use of these and the alternatives. For example:

• "Like" v. "Such as": Use "like" to compare similar but DIFFERENT things (e.g. "My bad habits are like your bad habits"). Use "such as" to give an example (e.g. "I have many bad habits, such as biting my nails")

• , which v. appositive v. , -ing: Use ", which" to describe the immediately preceding noun (it can be the actual noun or an object of the preposition describing the noun) with a clause. Use a noun (i.e. an appositive) to rename the immediately preceding noun with another noun. Use ", -ing" to modify the subject and verb of the sentence. For example, the following have vastly different meanings:

• I ran down the street, which was chasing after a car. (Incorrect, since the street was chasing the car.)
    • I ran down the street, a car. (Incorrect, since the street is being called a car.)
    • I ran down the street, chasing after the car. (Correct because now I was chasing after the car while running down the street.)

• economical v. economic: Yes, the OG problems have "economic" as the correct answer, but the issue is just one of meaning. I can create perfectly correct alternative examples that would prefer the use of economical (a smart money decision) over economic (just dealing with money, whether the outcome is good or bad).

• As a result of v. result from: Each of these can be correct (e.g. As a result of his determination, he achieved a great GMAT score).

• but v. although: Different usages and grammatical constructions - neither is wrong. In connecting clauses, "but" suggests equality between the conflicting clauses (e.g. "You studied, but I partied" - equal importance) while "although" subordinates the clause following it (e.g. "Although you studied, I partied" - here "I partied" is more important)

Slide 13: Better to understand what "that of" and "those of" add with respect to the meaning rather than a "too short"/"better"/"wordy" classification. "That of" (singular) and "those of" (plural) each take a comparison and drop it down one level. Check these out:

• "Restaurant A is bigger than Restaurant B" - compares two restaurants.
  • "Restaurant A has bigger tables than the tables of Restaurant B" - compares two objects owned by the restaurants, but is wordy because it reuses "tables".
  • "Restaurant A has bigger tables than Restaurant B" - a bad comparison because it compares tables to a restaurant.
  • "Restaurant A has bigger tables than those of Restaurant B" - correctly compares tables of one restaurant to tables of another restaurant because "those of" drops the comparison from Restaurant B to something owned by Restaurant B (and no confusion because we only have one sub object of Restaurant A at which to point).

You can also cut out slides 24 and 25.

Thanks for sharing!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 31

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
One quick question. Does the question bank consist of mostly Advanced (650-700+) level questions, or does it include a mix of all difficulty levels...

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [6] , given: 7

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all, Interesting to see the ppt. I shall be posting my bits to it as well once I start with my preparation (Tomorrow that is). Also, Find attached the comprehensive solutions to the question bank posted by soukiv..

(Kudos if it was of help) :)
Attachments

A hundred 700+ SC Questions (1).pdf [470.55 KiB]
Downloaded 725 times

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-21-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 13:18
where can i find the solutions to the SC advanced question bank.pdf?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 7

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT3008, scroll down the file I have attached. The file has all the solutions.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 59

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
good one. SC tips are indeed good brush ups last minute....thanks mate

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Perfect!! :-)
I am writing GMAT on April 2nd and this is what i was looking for.
Thanks buddy!!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 10:28
Expert's post
Re: Advanced Sentence Correction Presentation with Question Bank   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2014, 10:28