Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Advice Needed After Bombing the GMAT for the 2nd time [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MEJ7894,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Thankfully, Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once and the GMAT will still be the same predictable, standardized Test that it's always been.

I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Since you've defined your score goal, I'd also like to know a bit more about your timeline:
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) Do you know which Schools you want to apply to?

In answer to your questions....we can put together a more effective study plan for you, but we need to define what went wrong first (either during your studies or on Test Day itself). Reinstating this score would allow you to pay for the Enhanced Score Report, but I don't think that that information is necessary right now. To score 700+, you're going to have to make some big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections, but we can talk through those details in a bit.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks Rich!

To answer your questions:

1) I only took the full exam the week before when I received the 620. The other times, I skipped the AWA and started with IR. I believe this had A LOT to do with how fatigued I was toward the end of the verbal section. This will be one of the tweaks that I make in preparation for the next exam.

2) I took all exams at the library or at my office on the weekends, both very quiet environments.

3) This was also something that I must tweak. I took only the last exam at 8 AM. The others I took around 9 or 10 AM.

4) CAT environments were exactly like the tests.

5) The GMAT Prep CAT, I did take once before in February. Like was mentioned, I remembered seeing the problems but not the answers.

6) I would like to apply to BSchool in the fall, preferably first round.

7) I have done extensive research on schools and have a pretty good idea of the 6-8 schools that I want to apply to.

I hope to retake the exam right around the end of August or early September, and would love to hear your ideas on a more effective study plan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lozi wrote:
Oh man, reading this really hits home, I was just around those same scores with the initial MGMAT practice exams, then when I increased my practice exams my real tests were way lower. I'll give you what I learned that made the biggest difference and hopefully some of this will help you. I actually ended up taking an MGMAT class which was absolutely pivotal to my improvement but I'll list some of the takeaways I got from it that made the most significant differences. Before I started the class I had already went through end-to-end MGMAT book study and problem sets with about 7 CATS and had only improved by 10 points.

-I was burning out, studying too much (5-6 hours a day) and hence not fully absorbing the tricks and strategies. This was detrimental because all the GMAT does is test your ability to do tricks quickly. I switched to studying 1-1.5 hours a day max.
-On MANY occasions the Quant section felt easy and like I was flying through it, THIS IS ALWAYS A BAD SIGN. Follow the time schedule in the MGMAT books, if you are ahead, take a breather, relax, and SLOW down, do a problem twice if you have to. You'll find you are making a lot of silly mistakes.
-BE WARY OF THE C TRAP, In Data Sufficiency if it is very obvious that using both can get you the answer, meaning getting the answer with minimal work by using both A and B ITS A TRAP, the answer is either A, B, or D.
-Drills! Drills! Drills! If you have the MGMAT Foundations of Math book you'll be shocked how far practicing drills will get you. You'll become very quick at the ~600 problems giving you time for other problems and also helping you relax by making those problems much easier for you. These are the problems worth the most, I think I remember them saying that you can get a 700+ cumulative score by only getting 600-700 level questions on the Quant section correct. So absolutely FOCUS on the medium to medium-hard GMAT problems more.
-For Verbal, start reading regularly, like VERY regularly and stuff that goes really into the weeds of things. I used The Economist, this helped a lot because an article is not always the most exciting thing to read when it is deep in the weeds and details. It made me pay attention and become an active reader because I used to completely bomb the passages on the GMAT I found boring.
-For Sentence Correction, you'll be surprised how many SC questions test the same thing over and over again. I've seen many Hard level questions that test the same exact type of Parallelism that easy level questions test, so really hone in on the basic common things tested. Don't worry too much YET on the fancy difficult flaws like Idioms or Gerunds, because an incorrect parallelism comparison or incorrect plural form of a verb that should be singular always trumps (i.e. is more incorrect) than an odd Idiom. Getting good at finding these medium level flaws usually instantly eliminates 3 of the 5 answer choices leaving you to a coin toss, a pretty good shot.

Hope some of this helps!

This was great advice! I definitely understand the burnout, and I am not sure I am actually absorbing all the tricks either. I will try to cut back a little going forward.

I do find that I am making silly mistakes, which is partially why I feel that my quant score hasn't been higher. This is a small tweak that I think can be corrected.

I am pretty active reader, as I need to keep up with the financial news for my job. I typically read the WSJ, but I pick up the Economist every once in a while.

That is great advice for SC, and will keep that in mind!

Thanks lozi!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MEJ7894,

The extra information that you've provided is quite helpful in that it points out how your practice CATs were not matching up with Test Day (in most cases). The GMAT is a specific 'event', which you can train for, but the more your CATs deviate from Test Day, the more likely the scores are to be 'off' (and in most cases, that means 'inflated'). The fatigue that you felt in the Verbal section when you took the Official GMAT was likely also effecting your performance in the Quant section (you just didn't realize it).

The good news is that you still have plenty of time to study and take the GMAT before the Round 1 application deadlines. Since you've already put in some significant study time already, you really have to work to adjust your overall approach a bit. Given your recent GMAT score and your score goals, I think that the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster would help you considerably. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot