Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on entering business with a BSc :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice on entering business with a BSc :( [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 21:03
Hi,

I am in an interesting situation right now and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am 21 years old, and recently graduated from my four year Undergraduate in a science (Biochemistry & Genetics). Despite having no interest in research, I achieved the highest grade in my program, with a final average of 92%. For those four years my passion was always in medicine, but after being wait listed, and talking to many physicians, I realized this profession isn't for me. I recently wrote the GMAT, and scored a 710. Both my parents were in business, but have lost many of their connections. I had a potential internship in private equity, but I could not get a visa for the States (I am a Canadian Citizen), and now have no promising employment opportunities. I really want to go into business, but I am not sure what the best route is, or who to talk to for career advice... hence this post haha. Right now, I feel like the best route is to apply for an MBA program, but I have no valuable work experience asides from summer employment between school semesters. Is the best option for me to apply to a coop MBA? I heard that these are not the most respected MBAs though... Would I have a chance at any of the top b-schools (e.g. Harvard or Stanford)? Also, is an MBA the best route for me to take in order to enter business? Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Advice on entering business with a BSc :( [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 04:49
Sorry to hear about your situation but many others went through what you are going through due to the current economic conditions.

Because you have no work experience after college, I would not consider MBA program right now. It's an option that you may consider down the road, if it makes sense.

At this point, if you wish to enter a graduate program for a good career, you will have to consider the following graduate degrees (which are for recent graduates with zero work experience):

1) Med School: You already said no to this option

2) Law School: Legal job market sucks right now. However, that doesn't mean that you can't get a good job right now. If that was the case, the Yale Law School across from my campus would be quite empty right now. With your unique background in biochem, you may be an ideal candidate for career in corporate law/patent in pharma, etc.

3) MS in Finance: You have a quant background. Assuming that you took enough math and science courses in undergrad, you will probably qualify for the Applied Mathematics, Financial Engineering etc programs

4) MS Statistics/Actuarial Science: Have friends who took this route after undergrad. All ended up with multiple job offers from insurance companies, ibanks, consulting firms (risk management, pension etc)

5) MS in Accounting: Probably the least viable option if you like quantitative courses and etc. But accounting firms are always hiring.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Advice on entering business with a BSc :( [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 05:14
Only do an MBA once. If you want the MBA to add the most value then only do it at a top school. Dont think you can do one at an average school now with the view of doing another one at a top school later.

Right now, you should get some experience and then consider applying with 3 or 4 years work under your belt. A key part of the MBA is fellow students sharing their previous experiences of working and business with each other for the benefit of learning. With no experience you can not offer this and any school that accepts students with no experience must be a really poor school.
Re: Advice on entering business with a BSc :(   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2010, 05:14