Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: aloha [#permalink]
Hi Dinen, welcome to gmat club! :)

My input in red below.

Dinen wrote:
Hi Guys, tis my first post here....

I wrote the gmat earlier this year with basically no prep, apart from reading PR's "cracking the gmat 2010" in 3 days (a book I would'nt wish on my worst enemy). Not surprisingly I scored a 470 (q25, v31). Anyway bought the enitire MGMAT set (a godsend) and have been studying on and off now for 2 months in between sporadic bursts of life from my 38yr old brain. On quant I still have to go thr' word translations and geometry and have not started verbal as yet. I just took my 1st cat today to find out where the hell I was on the food chain and to give me more direction in my studies, score 700 (q46,v40). Which CAT did you take?

Heres my question: How indicative is the old powerprep algo when compared to what I'll face in the real deal?
Power prep was not adaptive, so definitely you will have to go through MGMAT & GTAT Prep to feel the real deal.

Frankly I'll be happy with anything around 650. I don't "feel" I'm 700 material at this point at all, hence the question. Anyway I write in a month so here's another obligaotory newbie idiotic question "Do guys think that is enough time to achieve my humble goal?".
Depends on which CAT you scored your 700. If this would have been gmat prep or MGMAT, I would say you can definitely achieve your goal in one month's time.

SC has been a huge eye opener for me as little did I know that most of what I've written thr'out my life has been gobedy gook!

One final thought, the program I'm applying for will not really look at my AWA score when viewed in conjunction with the rest of my app (or this is what I assume).
AWA score is important but not too much. I have seen people with 4.5 AWA but admitted in top 15. Saying that, a score below 5 will be alarming for me.

Do any of you guys know whether after writing some stuff for 20mins on the 2nd essay, I can leave so that I can have a longer break (and maybe a fag ;-) before quant??? This is the confusing part; if u finish the essay early and press proceed, I guess u lose the time....but what happens if u dont? Does the gmat automatically just move on and because you hav'nt pressed proceed, ur essay is not captured??

Cheers
Dinen

I will recommend you to take a gmat prep within next week. Dont retain these until the last weeks. GMAT prep is the best estimator of your real score. So just take it & decide about your test date.Go through this link for more detail.
gmat-prep-power-prep-official-free-gmat-tests-77548.html

Best of luck & keep us posted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for ur input Hussain and the welcome! The biggest surprise for me was the realisation that my brain is not anyway near what it was 16 years ago. Back then I could pull 72 hours completely focussed....these days 72 nano seconds is a battle. Since my lifestyle is still "young", this realisation really blindsided me due to the fact that my brain has'nt been academically tested in a while. So all u young guns.....enjoy it while the adrenalin is still at peak levels. The worst part of this is the hit your confidence takes....back then I took 80%+ for granted, now the focus is sitting thr' 4 hours of gmat without need for a fibrillator;-)

One thing I have noticed here on the forum is the shock some forumites suffer due to the disparity between their gmatprep scores and the real mc coy.....I think they forget that many of the problems on gmatprep would have already been encountered by them during their prep, hence a biased upward score. Anyway tis something I am gonna bear in mind when starting my tests. adios
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Dinen wrote:
Thanks for ur input Hussain and the welcome! The biggest surprise for me was the realisation that my brain is not anyway near what it was 16 years ago. Back then I could pull 72 hours completely focussed....these days 72 nano seconds is a battle. Since my lifestyle is still "young", this realisation really blindsided me due to the fact that my brain has'nt been academically tested in a while. So all u young guns.....enjoy it while the adrenalin is still at peak levels. The worst part of this is the hit your confidence takes....back then I took 80%+ for granted, now the focus is sitting thr' 4 hours of gmat without need for a fibrillator;-)

One thing I have noticed here on the forum is the shock some forumites suffer due to the disparity between their gmatprep scores and the real mc coy.....I think they forget that many of the problems on gmatprep would have already been encountered by them during their prep, hence a biased upward score. Anyway tis something I am gonna bear in mind when starting my tests. adios

Well, I am 30 & feel old, you have to surely feel something in 38. :)
Your point regarding gmat prep is valid. This forum has a tag list function & that's very helpful. I never tried to see or solve gmat prep questions here at forum. So that's helped me in the end.

Best of luck again & keep us posted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just finished gmatprep 1 :shock: ...WHOA....what a revelation because I've spent 99% of my prep time thus far on quant, assuming verbal would just click into place. In the words of Yoda...."wrong I was"! Score 640 q45 v32. Analysing my verbal breakdown....RC is excellent, CR fair to good, SC... :roll: . Beginning to seriously stress now about whether I'll be ready come the 28th!!!

I've been going through Mgmat SC these last 2 days and this is what I have to say: For a native english speaker, the book is daunting because we've been conditioned by years of incorrect sentence usage. I think manhattan should approach the drug companies because this book is one powerful sedative! This is the section where I actually believe non-native speakers actually have an advantage. Remember it's easier to learn the correct golf swing as a novice rather than a veteran playing the last 40 years with an incorrect one (this sentence is proof enough). However that advantage is balanced by RC and CR. I have GREAT regard for anyone whose a non native english speaker cracking the verbal. The RC's are brutal and theres no way I'll be able to find my ass from face if it were in another language. Anyway I'm going to concentrate on verbal now as I figure a score of 40 is attainable and would keep me in my 650 requirement (ie. if the math stays relatively stable).
Intern
Intern
Status:What to know what someone's dream looks like? Observe a large pile of GMAT books. (c)
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
You've identified your weak point. Attack vigorously and use an error log. Additionally, pepper in Quantitative questions into your regimen. It will exercise both GMAT muscles. I think you can definitely score well come the 28th.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, I would like to use this thread as a sounding board for my progress. Attempted my first mgmat cat today 670 (q43,v38). Upon analysis I see I was fluctuating in the 90-99th percentile range for quant up until question 24. At this point I had less than a minute for remaining questions which saw my resultant quant score nose dive due to forced guesses. Lesson here is my timing sucks and I need to improve it drastically.

Verbal on the other hand, I finished with 12 minutes to spare. My preparation thus far on verbal has been 4 days, 3 studying SC and yesterday reading mgmat's cr. Weird thing here is AFTER reading the CR book, this proved the biggest weakness this time around. My sc has improved and rc was never a problem. I think the biggest problem her is my inate arrogance wrt verbal, which needs to be broken and some hard time put into getting the basics right. To summize, herewith my scores thus far:

powerprep 1: 700 (q46, v40) 1/10
powerprep 2: 660 (q44, v36) 2/10
gmat prep 1: 640 (q45, v32) 4/10
mgmat 1: 670 (q43, v38) 6/10

I don't understand the scoring on mgmat. I got 18 correct in quant and 25 of the questions were 700-800 level. I got 24 correct in verbal and 24 of the questions were 700-800 level. Is normal to have this many questions in 700-800 level?? Did u guys experience the same?

3 weeks to d-day. I would LOVE a 700 although anything in the 600's will do for my app's. The only chance of me doing this is maximise my quant capability with is NO GREATER than a 46 and work on bringing verbal to a 40, which i know is very doable for me (moreso than maintaining q40;-) I know this is a dumbass question asked many times before here (but hey I'm human)...do u guys think, given all of the above, that a 700 is even a realistic expectation?
GMAT Club Bot