Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [33]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Although they are less obvious, termites does significantly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
srivats212 wrote:
Although they are less obvious, termites does significantly more damage to homes than branches from trees.
A. termites does significantly more damage to homes than
B. termites do the most damage to significant homes than do
C. the termite does significantly more damage to homes as do
D. termites do significantly more damage to homes than
E. termites do significantly more damage to homes than do

Can u please explain me what's wrong with D.?

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that termites do significantly more damage to homes than tree branches do.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Pronouns + Meaning + Comparisons + Idioms

• "more" and "less" must have a logical sequence with "than"; in a comparison, "more/less...than" is the idiomatic construction
• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.
• The comparative forms are used to compare two elements and superlative forms are used to compare more than two elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "termites" with the singular verb "does". Further, Option A incorrectly compares the amount of damage "termites" do to homes to "branches from trees" rather than with the amount of damage "branches from trees" do to "homes"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

B: This answer choice uses the phrase "the most damage to significant homes", leading to an incoherent meaning; the use of the superlative form "the most" to compare two elements leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that termites do significantly more damage to homes than tree branches do; please remember, the comparative forms are used to compare two elements and superlative forms are used to compare more than two elements.

C: The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly uses the plural pronoun "they" to refer to the singular noun "the termite". Further, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "more...as" rather than the idiomatic construction "more...than"; please remember, "more" must have a logical sequence with "than"; in a comparison, "more...than" is the idiomatic construction.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares the amount of damage "termites" do to homes to "branches from trees" rather than with the amount of damage "branches from trees" do to "homes"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

E: Correct. The sentence formed by this answer choice correctly uses the plural pronoun "they" and the plural verb "do" to refer to the plural noun "termites". Further, Option E correctly uses the comparative form "more" to compare two elements, conveying the intended meaning - that termites do significantly more damage to homes than tree branches do. Additionally, Option E correctly compares the amount of damage "termites" do to homes to the amount of damage "branches from trees" do to "homes". Besides, Option E correctly uses the idiomatic construction "more...than".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Please correct me if am wrong !
help me understand the meaning of this sentence.
According to manhattan SC guide, it says that it is OK to omit certain words in the second part of the comparison sentence.
In this question, I have a doubt wrt to the meaning that the sentence tries to convey i.e
Case 1 : termites do more damage to homes than to branches
OR
Case 2 : termites do more damage to homes than branches do to homes

If case1 -> then D should probably be right ( if we could eliminate the TO after THAN )

If case 2 -> then E should probably be right. But I had second thoughts on this. How can branches do damage to homes ? So I thought there was meaning issues with E and hence chose D.
Please help me understand this.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Send PM
srivats212 wrote:
According to manhattan SC guide, it says that it is OK to omit certain words in the second part of the comparison sentence.
In this question, I have a doubt wrt to the meaning that the sentence tries to convey i.e
OR

If case1 -> then D should probably be right ( if we could eliminate the TO after THAN )

If case 2 -> then E should probably be right. But I had second thoughts on this. How can branches do damage to homes ? So I thought there was meaning issues with E and hence chose D.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Case 2 is correct, branches in windy conditions can break windows.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Enterprenureship
Schools:ISB, IIM
GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V34
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
nammers wrote:
srivats212 wrote:
OR

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

The explanation that branches in windy conditions can break windows does not go well...
It seems to be out of context.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akbism wrote:
nammers wrote:
srivats212 wrote:
OR

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

The explanation that branches in windy conditions can break windows does not go well...
It seems to be out of context.

I was just giving an example of how branches could damage homes so srivats could understand the meaning of the original sentence, comparing the damage caused to homes by termites and branches. As he did not understand how branches could damage homes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
Even i suspect there might be an error in question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Firstly to daagh, nicely explained man... kudos to you for that wonderful refresher.

secondly i dint understand the question.

does the sentence intends to compare
termite damage to homes with termite damage to branches on trees
or
compare damage to homes by termites and by branches of trees?

general gmat hunch says it is the 1st comparison, to which i believe D would be the right answer
but if the comparison is on the the 2nd assumption, E should make more sense.

what say guys?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Send PM
viks4gmat wrote:
general gmat hunch says it is the 1st comparison, to which i believe D would be the right answer

what say guys?

Even i thought so...but the OA is E.

@daagh:
I dont think there should be any error in the question, as this appeared in one of the test series provided by MGMAT. Even MGMAT justifies its ans E saying that the comparison is made between "damages done by termites" to the "damages done by branches" to homes.
My question is since D and E are both grammatically correct, how would you choose between the two. I felt the comparison made in choice D was logically more sound than that made in choice E. I just wanted to get more light on to this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
srivats212 wrote:
viks4gmat wrote:

what say guys?

Even i thought so...but the OA is E.

@daagh:
I dont think there should be any error in the question, as this appeared in one of the test series provided by MGMAT. Even MGMAT justifies its ans E saying that the comparison is made between "damages done by termites" to the "damages done by branches" to homes.
My question is since D and E are both grammatically correct, how would you choose between the two. I felt the comparison made in choice D was logically more sound than that made in choice E. I just wanted to get more light on to this.

The way in which you can differentiate in this case by looking at the opening part of the sentence, which says:
Although they are less obvious

This draws the termites in to a comparison with a second object,
D fails to compare the termites to a second object so is incorrect as it compares termites against termites.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Nice discussion however the clue lies in the first part of the sentence which is Although they are less obvious.... this part sets the precedence that the discussion is on damage caused by termites vs damage caused by branches and therefore the Case 2 applies which establishes E as the correct answer

Do construct is required to clearly establish the paralleism
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
ok guys... i have a quick q.... so considering what Paresh and nammers had to say with the "althought they are less obvious part"

can someone re-write the sentence such that the comparison is between termites affecting branches and termites affecting trees?
i mean i know this is not what the sentence says, but im just attempting to look at how the sentence would read if on similar lines, it had to compare the termite effect on houses Vs trees
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am not even considering D here, becos, it is just comparing two objects of prepositions and not two actions, skipping the all-important //ism of the preposition, a serious grammatical flaw IMO.

However, In E, (in which the comparison is grammatically made between the damages done by termites to homes and damages done by branches to homes) are we comparing logically - comparable things?? Termite damage is a universal damage becos it is a way of life for the termite. The damage to home by branches is more of an accident, may be severe or may not be severe, and hence strictly not comparable, however grammatically correct the comparison be. In fact, there is more benefit rather than damage by the branch of a tree to a home
That apart, my problem with this sentence is because of the claim it is from MGMAT stable, which I revere. Look at his sentence’s beginning; It starts saying “although they are less obvious (I take that they refers to termites)” What is less obvious? termites or damages done by termites to home? As per E, the modification points to termites meaning that it is the termites that are less obvious rather the damages they do. Is that so? Any ponderings?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
@ Daag

In the original sentence They(pronoun) refer directly nearest antecedent ,which is termites (proximity rule of pronoun ).
A and c---sub-verb and agreement issue .Termites are plural need plural auxiliary verb ......Out
B- most ....significant (adjective )home(noun)--seems awkward.most is modifying damage and significant home is nonsensical in this context.Significant must be significantly (adverb to modify damage )
d-solved adverb issue and s-v-Ag . issue ,But still confounding
Terminates do significantly more damage to homes than branches from trees (ambiguous .not clear branches is subject or object )
Without knowing what role are branches playing ,We can't get the exact meaning of this sentence.
E-clearly indicate that branches are object (and comparison is between object and object )
To homes than Do to branches
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos