Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although this bottle is labeled 'vinegar', no fizzing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Although this bottle is labeled 'vinegar', no fizzing [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 09:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Although this bottle is labeled 'vinegar', no fizzing occurred when some of the liquid in it was added to powder from this box labeled 'baking soda.' But when an acidic liquid such as vinegar is added to baking soda the resulting mixture fizzes, so this bottle clearly has been mislabeled.

A flaw in the reasoning in the argument above is that this argument

(A) ignores the possibility that the bottle contained an acidic liquid other than vinegar

(B) fails to exclude an alternative explanation for the observed effect.

(C) depends on the use of the imprecise term 'fizz┬б'

(D) does not take into account the fact that scientific principles can be definitively tested only under controlled laboratory conditions

(E) assumes that the fact of a labeling error is proof of an intention to deceive

A 750 aspirant.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 10:39
B looks fine to me.

If any other acid is present in the bottle it would have fizzed and the author might concluyde that the bottle is correctly named. But it ignores the possibility that the box might have been mis-labled.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 11:12
Anandnk, can you please explain why A is wrong?

A 750 aspirant.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 11:18
B for me too.....

The argument says that Any liquid acid when added to baking soda fizzes. So even if it contaiins other liquid acid than vinegar, it should still fizz. the argument says that it did not fizz. So it did not contain any liquid acid at all.. I hope I am correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 11:49
B here too.

A is wrong because it goes out of scope and is too specific. You should always approach the argument as it is and never use additional information like the one stated. Yes, there is a possibility that the bottle contained an acidic liquid other than vinegar but then there are several other possibilities we could also consider.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 11:53
My explanation is little bit different. Why is the author saying that the bottle is mislabled? The author is saying it because the author did not see the fizz. Had there been other acid it would have fizzed right. Since no other method of determining the liquid in the bottle is given the author would conclude that the bottle indeed contained vinegar. From the point of view of the stem there is nothing wrong in what the Author concluded if A were true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 12:03
Anandnk,

You said:

Since no other method of determining the liquid in the bottle is given the author would conclude that the bottle indeed contained vinegar.

Well, because no other method of determining the liquid in the bottle does not mean that such a method does not exist. They only gave us one condition but several other conditions could also exist. If they said something like, "fizzing only occurs when an acidic liquids such as vinegar...", then it would be easier to select A as the flaw in the reasoning.

That's the way I interpreted it.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 12:05
I am sorry. I stopped short of explaining A completely. A is not correct because the mixture did not fizz. If A is true then the mixture would have fizzed.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 12:37
You guys are doing great.

Yes, B is the official answer.

A 750 aspirant.

[#permalink] 30 Mar 2004, 12:37