Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 346

Kudos [?]: 1665 [1] , given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (01:52) correct 49% (01:16) wrong based on 493 sessions
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

(A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
(C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
(D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
(E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

My question is how it is close to real GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1665 [4] , given: 354

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
OA is B

But even knowing OE, I do not still feel confident :?

OE:
The conclusion is that a company should wait until purchases of an old device have begun to decline before announcing a new device. The basis for this claim is that consumers stop buying the old device. We are asked to strengthen the argument.

(A) The typical drop in the price of new technology does not influence whether a company should wait until sales of an old technology begin to decline before introducing a new one.

(B) CORRECT. This choice states that media outlets such as television and magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of old devices are still strong. The argument requires that consumers "hear about the new device"; stories in the media provide a means for consumers to do so.

(C) If many consumers are unable to determine the superiority of new technology, then they might be less swayed to wait for a new, recently announced device than otherwise. As a result, this claim may be seen to weaken the analyst's assertion.

(D) The number of technology purchases per year does not directly relate to this argument. The argument is about waiting until the consumer demand declines before announcing a new technology. However frequently consumers typically purchase technology, some will be ready to buy the old device when news of the upcoming device gets out -- and according to the argument, this news will cause some of those consumers to wait.

(E) The passage makes no mention of whether the technologies belong to the same company or different companies.

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [2] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:16
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

E for me since if consumers don't stay loyal, and a competitor brings out the new gadget, the consumers will buy the competitors gadget, and effect sales of the company anyway.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with B.
"Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong."

If media outlets dont bring old and new devices together, there is no point in the company being afraid of sales drop of old gadgets.

Let us know answer.

Ilgaskas
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 239 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
It seems that it comes from the real Gmat. Is it correct?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
i also said E ... none of the others are really too close. Plus, E makes sense because if the consumers are not loyal to the brand, then the timing of the announcement wont make a difference to them.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
this is from MGMAT..

B is the best answer..
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 174 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:

A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

youve got me on this one ???
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
I'll have to go with E.

Reason: Demand is party driven based on consumer satisfaction and loyalty towards the brand.

What is the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
Appreciate the input mate! I'm really looking for something that provides indepth explanation for the answers and for that reason I'll have to get the book.

I actually did download the file, but I'm unalbe to open the file. It appears to be an XML doc - Any thoughts on how to translate or get it up and running?
Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 15:47
This post received
KUDOS
vk get the gmatter software along with it. In gmatter, change the source of questions (in the CR tab) and point it to the CR bin 2 xml file.

Good luck.

Yes the in depth answers are great in LSAT superprep. Gmatter has explanations for some of its questions (i.e. the bins) but not for most of them :(

vksunder wrote:
Appreciate the input mate! I'm really looking for something that provides indepth explanation for the answers and for that reason I'll have to get the book.

I actually did download the file, but I'm unalbe to open the file. It appears to be an XML doc - Any thoughts on how to translate or get it up and running?
Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 1073 [1] , given: 118

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
distressedDamsel wrote:
walker wrote:
MGMAT

I also can't digest the fact that B is the correct answer even after reading OE :?

Can someone explain to me why the answer cannot be A?

"New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales."

If new technology becomes less expensive, then these new devices become more attractive to purchase and therefore the sales of old ones dip. Where am I going wrong?

Hi distressedDamsel

I'm glad to help.

First of all, this question is not easy, because you may not determine a CORRECT CONCLUSION. Please keep in mind, conclusion is KEY to solve strengthen/weaken questions. Let imagine, if you don't know what the author wants to conclude, how could you weaken or strengthen his/her point.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market. Many of them enjoy commercial success.
Fact: Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
Conclusion: Announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire.

Never assume conclusions are ALWAYS the first or last sentences. Like this question, if you think the last sentence - "So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline" - is the main conclusion, you will pick the wrong answer.

The main point you should strengthen is: Announcing new technology too soon ==> can get backfire

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

(A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
Wrong. Does it help you to explain why "announcing new tech too soon will get backfire". Not at all, it just tells you the FACT: after new tech gets peak --> prices will decline, that's it.

(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
Correct. "B" helps you strengthen the main point "announcing new tech too soon --> get back fire". The KEY is "Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale". How can they hear?. Consumers will hear through Media outlets => Media outlets indirectly stop the sales of current products".

(C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
Wrong. Out of scope. The argument does not talk about which technology is more superior.

(D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
Wrong. Does not help. The Fact: consumers make only 1 or 2 purchases does not affect the main point at all.

(E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.
Wrong. Out of scope. Nothing about "loyalty".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:17
sondenso wrote:
It seems that it comes from the real Gmat. Is it correct?

no i don't think it does.

i think walker is putting MGMAT questions up and asking us to compare how similar they are to real GMAT.

for this one i don't have an opinion. But if it were a real GMAT question, it would be a hard one for sure..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:07
fresinha12 wrote:
this is from MGMAT..

B is the best answer..

explanation please fresinha
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:57
here is my explanation...

p357331#p357331

OA is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 08:16
Hey walker,

Where did you pull this wonderful explanation from? Is this provided by MGMAT/LSAT Superprep?

I cant digest the fact that B is the correct answer. Damn it!

Thanks for the post mate!
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1665 [0], given: 354

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 09:01
Expert's post
MGMAT

I also can't digest the fact that B is the correct answer even after reading OE :?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 09:16
I one click away from purchasing LSAT superprep. I've seen great reviews for LSAT in this forum.

Have you tried super prep? If so, did it help at all.

This question has certainly baffled and discouraged me. How the hell am I supposed to get these questions right when the test writers are messed up in the first place:)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 15:01
vk I highly recommend the LSAT superprep. But, before you purchase it, give gmatter a try. Download the additional CR bin which has plenty of LSAT questions. Get a feel for these questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 17:31
Thanks a lot :| BSD! I think the software is a great tool to prepare under a timed env. What say?
Re: CR - Tech Toys   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2008, 17:31