Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another "I have 2 weeks and need a 700" plea for help...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Another "I have 2 weeks and need a 700" plea for help... [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:07
Hey guys, so after lurking around for a while and trying to find stories/tips to help me, I think it's time to just ask for help directly...So can you guys please give me some advice to help me hit the famous 700?

- MGMAT CAT 1: 510 (Q24, V35) --> obv quant sucked
- MGMAT CAT 2 (after going through all Manhattan GMAT strategy guides and benchmark questions): 660 (Q43, V37)
- MGMAT CAT 3 (2 days after CAT 2): 630 (Q41, V35)
- I had less than one month to prepare for my GMAT and I'm taking the GMAT on Dec 11 (OMG that's in less than 2 weeks...trying not to freak out)
- For the first 2 weeks of my GMAT prep, I went through all the Manhattan GMAT strategy guides and did the benchmark questions in the OG
- I can take a few days off before the GMAT
- I should note that I'm not really a nervous test-taker...I'm a lawyer and have studied for the bar which was way more stressful and tiring, but I can't stop feeling like an idiot for not being able to do high school math problems...WTF

My questions:
- Is it possible to do too many CATs in 2 weeks? I was planning on doing a CAT or GMATprep each 2 days for the next 10 days till my exam...but I noticed that was feeling really tired when I did my 3rd CAT today (2 days after I did CAT 2).
- Obviously my quant is low, but I've already gone through the strategy guides. How can I improve my score? Should I just sit and do questions in the OG? Should I do timed sets without looking at the answers till the end or should I do each question one by one with the answer?
- Is it normal to get a lower score (I went from 660 to 630)? Should I be worried?
- How do you know when it's time to skip a question? I usually figure it out when I'm taking over 2 mins...
- Knowing that I'm not really a nervous test-taker (I hope I didn't just jinx myself), is the MGMAT and GMATprep scores reflective of what I will get on my actual GMAT?
- Can someone please give me some hope that it's possible to hit 700 in less than 2 weeks? I like reading those stories about people who barely worked and got a 770, but I'm not one of those...I'm willing to put in the work, but I guess I just need some hope :?

Thank you so much! :)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Another "I have 2 weeks and need a 700" plea for help... [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 19:19
Expert's post
You need to focus. Figure out what types of quant questions you do poorly on. Practice a bunch of those questions and keep track of what types of errors you're making. Once you're aware of that, then take practice tests in a timed setting -- mimic the testing center as much as possible. Find a quiet room in your house, a library, etc with no music or people talking in the background and concentrate.

On test day, it is completely normal to drop a few points from where you were practicing at. Someone once told me to expect a score that was 50 points lower than my practice tests... You get nervous on test day. You're in an unfamiliar place, sitting at a strange computer, and someone just checked all sorts of your identification and took your finger prints...you're bound to be jittery and get a few more questions wrong. Just be prepared for that.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Another "I have 2 weeks and need a 700" plea for help... [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 19:20
Expert's post
On a happier note, it is completely possible to get 700+ with 2 weeks of prep. Schedule your time and don't burn out by doing too many of the same type of problem at once.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Another "I have 2 weeks and need a 700" plea for help... [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 10:28
Just wanted to update and say that I didn't get a 700, but I got a 680 with a little over 2 weeks of work...so it is possible
Re: Another "I have 2 weeks and need a 700" plea for help...   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2013, 10:28