Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
cmns18 wrote:
Paul thanks for your advice/thoughts

I had another question. As you can see I'm looking to apply to Duke and UNC. They are probably my #3,4 choices right now. However, I know that a few years after getting my MBA, my wife and I will probably want to be living in the Midwest...preferrably Chicago. I wonder if Duke or UNC will still hold up well in the Midwest or would Notre Dame do better. Because Duke is close to top 10, my current thinking is it would be noticed more than UNC but I don't know.

cmns18,

Interesting question. My guess is that Notre Dame may actually have stronger cachet among Chicago employers than Duke or UNC, even granting that many Chicago employers know or regard Duke and UNC as the stronger schools. That is, I think regional bias or loyalty would give you an edge at Notre Dame in Chicago. This is not based on statistical knowledge, however, so I would strongly recommend that you closely look at the names of the companies that have recruited at these schools in the past few years. If you see more Chicago-based companies in Notre Dame's list, you've got your answer. Duke is--generally speaking--considered to be the stronger of the three schools (vs. Notre Dame and vs. UNC).

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks again for your thoughts. I'll make sure to check with the schools career services when I visit them.

One final question(at least for now) As I work on my essays, a few of the appications allow for the optional essay(tell us anything else useful...etc). I am trying to decide how to approach this and am thinking about talking about my age/experience. I know that one shouldn't usually talk about a possible negative, but I figure it's better to try to answer a question that could be raised in an applicant reader's mind then leave it unanswered. Therefore, I plan to talk about my reasons for applying NOW, both professionally and personally. I think that if it is not addressed I could get passed over because a reviewer might think, "pretty strong stats, good essays, but he can get in next year when he fits our demographics better".

What do you think? Is it foolish to highlight this potential flaw...even though it's not like I can hide it. Because I'm attempting a bit of a career switch at least from the standpoint of non-profit to business setting, I hope this somewhat answers the "Why now?" questions that might arise.

Thanks once again for your thoughts and service on this forum.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
cmns18 wrote:
Thanks again for your thoughts. I'll make sure to check with the schools career services when I visit them.

One final question(at least for now) As I work on my essays, a few of the appications allow for the optional essay(tell us anything else useful...etc). I am trying to decide how to approach this and am thinking about talking about my age/experience. I know that one shouldn't usually talk about a possible negative, but I figure it's better to try to answer a question that could be raised in an applicant reader's mind then leave it unanswered. Therefore, I plan to talk about my reasons for applying NOW, both professionally and personally. I think that if it is not addressed I could get passed over because a reviewer might think, "pretty strong stats, good essays, but he can get in next year when he fits our demographics better".

What do you think? Is it foolish to highlight this potential flaw...even though it's not like I can hide it. Because I'm attempting a bit of a career switch at least from the standpoint of non-profit to business setting, I hope this somewhat answers the "Why now?" questions that might arise.

Thanks once again for your thoughts and service on this forum.

cmns18,

No, addressing the Why Now question is definitely a good idea. Usually it is done in the main goals essay. You may feel that your Why Now explanation requires the full space of an optional essay. Even if that's the case, you should also briefly address the Why Now question in your goals essay. You are right in thinking that it is an important question for adcoms.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]