Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 503 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
A short course in speed reading can help you learn how to "skim" a passage very quickly and still get the most critical information out of it.

Sometimes, when you read a long passage, you forget the beginning by the time you get to the end. That can make RC very challenging, not to mention time-consuming, since you have to keep re-reading the passage.

Speed-reading is a technique that teaches you how to quickly go through the passage in a few seconds to identify the main idea, the scope, the subject matter, and the key purpose, among other things. Then, you can read it again more carefully for details, but you already have the basic premise in mind, so it makes the second and subsequent reads easier to understand.

Run a google search on speed reading for more info.

Remember: it's no substitute for a careful read for details. But it can help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for your advice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with coffeeloverfreak, 550 is not a devastation. Especially when you have 49 in quant which means that you can mainly focus on verbal. It is always better than 30Q-30V in my opinion.
Actually I am in that position too, I got Q48V27 so I will take it again to try to improve my V score. Same fight as you mahesh004 :?

Keep the motivation, work on verbal, solve problems, understand why you choose this answer and not the others, etc...

for Sc i got the same problem, I found questions were easy, but now I presume it was because I was wrong :-D, I also got 1 boldface question so I was confident but eventually I've scored a disappointing 27. I think that if you take more time and practice more deeply SC, CR and RC, you can definitely improve your score.

You already know your Quant is ok. Focus on V.
And please note that this was your FIRST attempt. 49 is definitely great for a first attempt (I was 39 the first time :cry: ) and you can clearly improve this score...1st attempt is never the highest you can go.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
my view has changed in last twenty four hours. Thanks to GMAT club. This site is too good.

It has give me strength to fight back.

Is 1 month enough to study verbal.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well mahesh, it's very difficult to talk about how much time is 'enough'...

I think, what one should do is, keep up brushing till he/she feels confident! Write more practice tests time to time to check the comfort level...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with Vivek. The GMAT is all about attitude. You gotta go in there knowing you're going to kick butt. When you feel like that, write the test.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts