Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any input would be greatly appreciated! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 18:11
I would like to thank you beforehand for taking the time to read my profile. I am really struggling with what my target schools should be so any input you could provide would really mean a lot to me. So without further ado here is my story.

29 y/o w male

My first go around at my undergrad was abysmal. I had some family issues but for the most part I would have to say it was more just pure immaturity I ended dropping out and going to work full time. During that stretch from around 21 to 27 I was mildly successful with multiple promotions. I was manager of a store with yearly revenue of around $2 million. When the economy collapsed the company I worked for was bought and I was laid off. I accepted a job at lower salary and position within a different industry. It was then that I decided I needed to return to school and finish my degree. My main goal for wanting to finish my undergrad was that I wanted to pursue my MBA. My degree is in International Business, from a state school, my cum GPA is a lowly 2.8. Since I returned to school though my GPA was 4.0(which shows you how bad it was before). The 4.0 is in my last 40 credits, all while working full time as well. I recently took the GMAT and got a 680. My post MBA goals are to move into consulting or general managment. I feel that I will be able to compose my story in a way of showing how my past, may of not been the most common or the best path but it was the best path for me. So with all this where do you think I should be targeting? Do you think schools will see the first part of my undergrad and disqualify? Some schools that interest me but again I don't know if I am totally off base are: Duke, UNC, G-town, Notre Damn, Boston U, my dream is Darden, my total fall back is Temple evening(live in Philly). Thanks again
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Any input would be greatly appreciated! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 21:22
Expert's post
I think you can take a run at all those schools. The 680 GMAT will be somewhat of an issue at a Duke or Darden, just because they can afford to be so selective, but by and large you are "in the game" with that score. In my experience, if you are 670 and above, they will read the file and that's when you can tell your story.

Indeed, the tale you will tell is one of newfound maturity, focus, and discipline in this next go-round of college. I actually don't think that many schools will worry excessively about the extreme disparity or even what happened way back when. Where your GPA hurts you - more than the way it happened - is the raw number. Some schools are going to bite the bullet and absorb a sub-3.0, some are going to wrestle with it, and some just won't touch it. It sort of depends on how compelling you are otherwise. We've worked with a lot of low GPA candidates in the past and it basically goes like this:

- Ramp up maturity throughout
- Highlight transferable skills, goals, and school fit better than your peers
- Apply to more schools than normal to give you some safety in numbers

That's generally the way to handle it. I think you are in the right range of schools - you just have to apply to enough of them, and do it well enough, and I think you can have a shot.

Hope this helps.

Best,
-Adam/Amerasia
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any input would be greatly appreciated! [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 19:21
Thank you very much Adam!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Any input would be greatly appreciated! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 21:55
Expert's post
No problem!
-Adam/Amerasia