Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Anyone admitted to USC MAcc Program for 2015-2016 cycle yet? [#permalink]
fmomen01 wrote:
anonymous11 wrote:
I applied way back end of Nov 2014, got an interview mid-December, was admitted early January.

Could you share some of your stats? 1) American or international 2) Summer intensive or fall start 3) Acc undergrad or other major 4) work experience and 5) GPA and GMAT scores?

I'll edit my post to include my stats too I guess.

Thanks!

1. American
2. Summer intensive
3. Econ/psych major in undergrad
4. 2 years work experience
5. 3.5 gpa/ 650 gmat

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anonymous11 wrote:
fmomen01 wrote:
anonymous11 wrote:
I applied way back end of Nov 2014, got an interview mid-December, was admitted early January.

Could you share some of your stats? 1) American or international 2) Summer intensive or fall start 3) Acc undergrad or other major 4) work experience and 5) GPA and GMAT scores?

I'll edit my post to include my stats too I guess.

Thanks!

1. American
2. Summer intensive
3. Econ/psych major in undergrad
4. 2 years work experience
5. 3.5 gpa/ 650 gmat

Good luck!

Ah that might be why! That and early application maybe? I'm just trying to make myself feel better, lol.

1. International
2. Fall start (am finishing the summer courses online through uc berkeley extension)
3. Quant econ/international relations major
4. About 3.5 years work experience--but the majority was non-accounting (UN, hotel chain and international schools)
5. 3.65 gpa/710 gmat

I'll try and call them up tomorrow and talk about maybe shifting to a summer start if possible.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think with those stats, you're in. I think they have a lot of applications to review this time of year, which might be why they're taking a bit longer than usual. Don't panic :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Anyone admitted to USC MAcc Program for 2015-2016 cycle yet? [#permalink]
In the program right now! I've been seeing some interviews happen at the office lately, kinda funny how I was there not too long ago...lol

If you guys have any questions or would like tips let me know! I can answer questions about USC's fall recruiting, etc.

I am also one of the USC ambassadors that posts on the blog. If you would like to see certain pictures of our experiences...please share your ideas! I have actually gotten questions like "how close is the cohort," "how internationals adapt to US classes and US classmates," "demographics," "any hot girls (lol)," and recruiting questions...but I've already e-mailed my answers, and will only post again if asked.

Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laserglare wrote:
In the program right now! I've been seeing some interviews happen at the office lately, kinda funny how I was there not too long ago...lol

If you guys have any questions or would like tips let me know! I can answer questions about USC's fall recruiting, etc.

I am also one of the USC ambassadors that posts on the blog. If you would like to see certain pictures of our experiences...please share your ideas! I have actually gotten questions like "how close is the cohort," "how internationals adapt to US classes and US classmates," "demographics," "any hot girls (lol)," and recruiting questions...but I've already e-mailed my answers, and will only post again if asked.

Good luck all!

Hi, can you talk about the difference between a MAcc and MBT degree? Why do less people choose MBT? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
anonymous11 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

Good luck all!

Hi, can you talk about the difference between a MAcc and MBT degree? Why do less people choose MBT? Thanks!

I'm not the best person to answer this question but I'll try my best. You might find a better answer googling/redditing the topic.

The answer is usually dependent on what you want to get into later on (i.e. tax vs audit). If you want audit then do the MAcc and if you want tax, you do MBT. It is usually said that MAcc/audit have more diverse exit routes later on in one's career while as a tax professional, you are stuck with tax. I have heard of some successful and lucrative careers come out of both after being in this program and you really cannot go wrong with what you choose. Just be sure to know what you want to do and choose what you like.

MAcc and MBT differences at USC (I'm a MAcc so I might be a little biased)

Diversity - Both are same age and ethnically diverse
Recruiting Events - Less tax people = more opportunity to talk to tax professionals. There was definitely less competition when it came to talking to Tax professionals vs Audit professionals.
Friends/Social Circles - Usually split between MAcc's and MBTs but some of the summer intensive people are still very close.
Classes - MAcc's and MBT's take different courses, so you will not see them as much, espcially in the Fall where you may share just 1 class with a MAcc/MBT. However in the Spring, the classes are more integrated and you will see a lot more of the MBTs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey I just got admitted to USC today! Does anyone know if the scholarship information is included in the acceptance letter or do you get it later? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xoHoneyBunny wrote:
Hey I just got admitted to USC today! Does anyone know if the scholarship information is included in the acceptance letter or do you get it later? Thanks!

last year, it was included in my acceptance letter in my email...4 days after i was interviewed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
laserglare wrote:
xoHoneyBunny wrote:

last year, it was included in my acceptance letter in my email...4 days after i was interviewed

Oh darn ha. Well anyway, since I've used this forum so much in the past I figured I'd pay it forward for other people applying to USC's MAcc program to talk about my interview.

I had my interview with Shirley who was super easy to talk to. While she didn’t ask me these exact questions, they were the basic topics we talked about:

Why accounting? Why USC/California?
Tell me about class X at your school.
Tell me about your past internship? Do you have anything lined up for this summer?
What are your plans after graduate school?
Why do you want to work in a specific industry?
Any questions about program?

She alluded to me being accepted at the end of the interview. I heard back within a week and was accepted.

Good luck everyone x

-EDIT-

I ended up getting a follow up email two days later offering me a scholarship (which was not mentioned on my acceptance letter). :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
xoHoneyBunny wrote:
laserglare wrote:
xoHoneyBunny wrote:

Oh darn ha. Well anyway, since I've used this forum so much in the past I figured I'd pay it forward for other people applying to USC's MAcc program to talk about my interview.

I had my interview with Shirley who was super easy to talk to. While she didn’t ask me these exact questions, they were the basic topics we talked about:

Why accounting? Why USC/California?
Tell me about class X at your school.
Tell me about your past internship? Do you have anything lined up for this summer?
What are your plans after graduate school?
Why do you want to work in a specific industry?
Any questions about program?

She alluded to me being accepted at the end of the interview. I heard back within a week and was accepted.

Good luck everyone x

-EDIT-

I ended up getting a follow up email two days later offering me a scholarship (which was not mentioned on my acceptance letter). :)

Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear back from them and it is killing me, lol! I keep checking my email every morning before work just to see if something popped in from the admissions santa during the night.

Could you tell me when you applied? International/national applicant? Summer/Fall start? and other application stats?

It's been a month since I applied and they're still just getting back to me about a transcript that went missing.

I've already called them once and we have been in an email discourse with me trying to make sure that they have received all my application materials. I don't want to call them again unnecessarily as I know they must be busy but am slightly worried.

Sorry, just any info would be super helpful.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laserglare wrote:

Good luck all!

Hi, again could you just add your application stats and how long it took for them to get back to you. People keep telling me a month isn't that long to wait but I've heard that turnaround time for the USC Macc programme apps has historically been 2 weeks. Just need to hold out for maybe 5 more days and then will call again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear back from them and it is killing me, lol! I keep checking my email every morning before work just to see if something popped in from the admissions santa during the night.

Could you tell me when you applied? International/national applicant? Summer/Fall start? and other application stats?

It's been a month since I applied and they're still just getting back to me about a transcript that went missing.

I've already called them once and we have been in an email discourse with me trying to make sure that they have received all my application materials. I don't want to call them again unnecessarily as I know they must be busy but am slightly worried.

Thanks!

Just be patient! Your original post said all the material were submitted in late January so it hasn’t been a month yet. And if you called and they said they have everything I wouldn’t worry. Your stats are close to mine but your application might be held up because you’re international. Were you required to get your grades translated into USA grading standards? I actually transferred from an international university and I know sometimes those converted grades take forever to process.

I submitted my application at the end of December and received a confirmation my application was completed a few days later. I was invited for an interview two weeks after I submitted my application and then received my acceptance letter a week after my interview.

1. American
2. Fall Start
3. Accounting Major, Finance Minor
4. Just a summer internship of related experience and other part time work
5. GPA 3.7, GMAT 640
Intern
Intern
Send PM
xoHoneyBunny wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Just be patient! Your original post said all the material were submitted in late January so it hasn’t been a month yet. And if you called and they said they have everything I wouldn’t worry. Your stats are close to mine but your application might be held up because you’re international. Were you required to get your grades translated into USA grading standards? I actually transferred from an international university and I know sometimes those converted grades take forever to process.

I submitted my application at the end of December and received a confirmation my application was completed a few days later. I was invited for an interview two weeks after I submitted my application and then received my acceptance letter a week after my interview.

1. American
2. Fall Start
3. Accounting Major, Finance Minor
4. Just a summer internship of related experience and other part time work
5. GPA 3.7, GMAT 640

Thanks, yeah that could be. I graduated from Tufts University though so no grade conversion was needed I think. I submitted my "in-status" UC Berkeley online extension transcripts 2 days ago. My Oxford transcript (from the year I studied abroad) is incorporated into my Tufts transcript but I have followed up with that as well and they didn't indicate that I needed a follow up though.

It probably is the international student thing I think or the fact that my prereqs are still underway. Will try and exercise some more patience, lol. I think I overdid the redbull this morning (I'm based in Japan).

Thanks for the update though. Super appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fmomen01 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

Good luck all!

Hi, again could you just add your application stats and how long it took for them to get back to you. People keep telling me a month isn't that long to wait but I've heard that turnaround time for the USC Macc programme apps has historically been 2 weeks. Just need to hold out for maybe 5 more days and then will call again.

Unforntunately, you just need to be patient. I understand how stressful this period is but there is nothing more you can do. Decision releases may seem random but I do not believe that anymore. I know people who interviewed a week BEFORE me and received their decisions two weeks AFTER me. After attending the program for a couple of months, this topic comes up with some of your classmates and you begin to see patterns. I have a lot of theories and speculations regarding USC's recruiting process, if you have a specific question, PM me as I don't want to start throwing out claims with no support.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laserglare wrote:
fmomen01 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

Good luck all!

Unforntunately, you just need to be patient. I understand how stressful this period is but there is nothing more you can do. Decision releases may seem random but I do not believe that anymore. I know people who interviewed a week BEFORE me and received their decisions two weeks AFTER me. After attending the program for a couple of months, this topic comes up with some of your classmates and you begin to see patterns. I have a lot of theories and speculations regarding USC's recruiting process, if you have a specific question, PM me as I don't want to start throwing out claims with no support.

Thanks, yes, I finally heard back from them and we're still having issues with more transcripts, but at least they reviewed my application to see that it was incomplete.

I'm trying to organize getting the oxford and UC Berkeley ones sent. Also, I've PM'd you! Am interested in any insights you can provide. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

Do you guys know anybody who got accepted to USC MACC with a GPA between 3-3.5 with a GMAT score 600-640? I am just curious if its even worth applying if your Undergrad GPA for instance is 3.2 but you have 3 years of professional experience with a solid recommendation letters from a executive of a well known company.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ADVelocity wrote:
Hello,

Do you guys know anybody who got accepted to USC MACC with a GPA between 3-3.5 with a GMAT score 600-640? I am just curious if its even worth applying if your Undergrad GPA for instance is 3.2 but you have 3 years of professional experience with a solid recommendation letters from a executive of a well known company.

I would encourage you to apply! I'm in the program now. I had a 3.7 GPA and 640 GMAT but if you look at USC's class profile for the graduate accounting program the average GPA is 3.5. While I don't know of anyone in particular with the same stats, I imagine someone got in with similar stats. Overall, I think your work experience will help your lower GPA and I'm going to go on a limb and say the person who writes your letters doesn't matter, the content does.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts