Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: Anyone applying to B-School because of quarter life crisis? [#permalink]
*raises hand* . Exactly what I said in thet "Why NOW?" thread. It's high time I shook things up in my life.

So BSchoolorBust, you're asking what's Plan B? The good thing about the timing of a quarter-life crisis is that it still gives you another shot at an MBA even if nothing works out this year. But yes you are right, I too have flirted with the idea of packing my bags and starting afresh, possibly somewhere in Asia ("Go East, Young Man!").

More realistically, if nothing works out I will try to suck it up and stay in my current industry, and do as well as I can in it. I'll just have to convince myself that my current job is just a 9-5 thing, I'll still have plenty of time to live my life the way I want to. But dear god I hope it doesn't come to that.

Great thread!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I'm in a particularly confusing place in that my goal is to get both a JD and an MBA. Right now, though, I'm having trouble cracking the LSAT score that I need to get into a top JD program. I've got one more shot at the LSAT in December...if that doesn't work out, I may be in the position of going to a top 15 MBA program or a much lower ranked law program. I think the choice then would be obvious: top tier MBA and if I still want the JD, try to beg my way into whather B-school I go to's companion law program.

As far as QLC, I think I may have been in one of those since my senior year of college...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I'm in a similar boat where I really need to change direction in my life, maybe not as much as some others but still some. I'm relatively happy where I am but I feel like I'm capable of a lot more than what I'm doing and I'm hoping that the MBA will open up a door to where I want to go.

I went through my mini-crisis after my first grad school when I had to give up my original pursuit of theatre, now I know what path I sort of want to go down but need a little push to get there. The opportunities are limited where I am (Buffalo isn't exactly an economic hotbed) and I need another degree to open more opportunities elsewhere since I'm not taken seriously because of my "artsy-fartsy" degree and background.

I guess I've already had my quarter-life crisis and now I'm just trying to get to where I know I want to be. I'm not 100% sure where that is (which is certainly coming across in my interviews since I don't know specifically which role I want) but I'm hoping that I'll be able to figure it out as I go along.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Yes. I am.

Let's just hope we all get into our school of choice, and enjoy the work and rewards that will accompany it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I would guess more than half of MBAs, even at the top schools, are there because they did not like their jobs at the time. How many people do you know who could say, "Yeah I LOVE this job, the pay is OUT OF THIS WORLD, I learn superb new skills every day, and the people are the greatest group of people I have ever worked with. But I want to leave and go back to school."

But, you have to have another reason, as far as your essays are concerned. They aren't mutually exclusive; the fact that you hate your job could have led you to think about how to improve financial viability of bond markets in 3rd world countries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
BSchoolorBust,

I feel where you are in your life because I am in a similar place. Like I mentioned, I think that if you absolutely dread where you are in your life, you need to be proactive and make a move. If you decide that you need an MBA, then do not stop in your pursuit. Top 25 schools are going to move you into that territory where you will have a chance to start over. Top 15 school bring the most opportunity. Best of all, you will start over with some direction. Having probably made mistakes, you will be stronger than ever.

On a more important note, I think that QLC's are a wonderful thing. Although it is a difficult time in your life, it is very introspective. Spend a lot of time looking inside and deciding what is the best move you can make in the next 3 to 5 years. Do not waste time planning your long term goals. Focus on today.

I have been in a QLC for the past four years. I have evaluated and re-evaluated my goals, desires, wants, needs, etc and have come out very determined and self-aware.

Celebrate your mini crisis and do not forget that you are probably better off than 97% of others in the world. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Warning: Shameless plug here.

For those of you who don't necessarily get into your school of choice (or anywhere), I would strongly suggest what I did 2 years ago, apply to the Peace Corps (or for the internationals, some type of international volunteer organization). It's definitely a change of pace yet there are still TONS of opportunities to use the skills you acquired during undergraduate (engineering, finance, you name it). You will definitely not just be building huts or changing diapers. And you'll make a lot more of an impact than you would drinking coffee and cranking out your 6th case study of the day :)

Obviously there are many commitments (espec family-related) that can prevent such a thing. But don't let the excitement/readiness for a new adventure that you have built up inside dissipate just because you happened to get dinged in the most competitive applicant pool ever.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I don't know if this is the appropriate place, but I love your avatar Bostonsparky... I'm a huge Conchords fan.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
You will definitely not just be building huts or changing diapers.

What if I was a hut builder/daiper changer double major as an undergrad? :rotate
BSchoolorBust wrote:
OK, time for me to fess up: I know I said in my goals essay that I wanted to change the world, that I wanted to make to bring business expertise to under-developed economies, etc, etc, but really, the REAL reason that I am applying to B-school is because I'm suffering from a severe case of quarter life crisis (OK, maybe most of you figured that out based on my nickname and picture).

It dawned on me about 18 months ago that I really don't enjoy my job and I want to do something else, but I haven't figured what I want to do yet.

So, anyway, I'm just wondering who's with me. Let's discuss Plan B, assuming we don't make it into B-School at all. Solaris1 - come on mate, I think you're also in my shoes! So what should we do? Let's talk! Maybe we can even get some material for "what's most important to you and why?"

Ya know, you gotta start somewhere. I don't think schools expect you to know every last bit of detail of what you want to do 20 years from now, nor will they hold you to every single word that you wrote in your essays. It's almost more about the thought process than anything else. They want to see that your goals are realistic and practical and that you've demonstrated some sort of initiative to acheving those goals during your career/education. There's no law that says you can't change your mind. Hell, I'd say half of the MBA students that I've met on my schools visits come right out and say, "I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm working on it".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
bschoolorbust,

Your story sounds hauntingly similar to mine. I am putting all my eggs in the same (Fall '09) basket. I believe that is the only way to bring myself out of the rut. I have no idea what I would do in case I don't get into any of the schools. I can't imagine continuing with the same job.

Traveling is something that has crossed my mind too.

the hermit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys I'm sooooo glad to hear that I am not alone. I guess what exacerbates the situation for me is that I had three absolutely great friends throughout high school and uni/college. Two of them have now gone overseas and are doing the "travel" thing. Both of them are now in London, and sometimes when I'm working really late (say 11pm in the office) I get an email from them which starts off "Hey dude, hope you're going great, we just came back from running with the bulls in Spain and here are the pictures ..." ... which really sinks my heart because I sooooo want to be there with them. But I've always struggled with the thought that doing so might seem irresponsible from a financial sense (I come from a not so wealthy family).

My third great friend is now leaving me and going to Asia to travel for a year. He's going find odd jobs here and there, but basically his mission is to travel and do the whole personal growth thing. I'm very happy for him, but sad for me. I think if I don't make B-School this year, I'm busting, and I might just pull the pin, throw caution to the wind, and just travel!

Guys ... maybe I will see you guys on my travels!

Gee, just reading my post, it sounds like a "Dear Abby" letter. I'm going to post it anyway though. Writing this post gave me some release. Also, I just got an email last night from my mates which said "Hey dude, you remember we always talked about going to Monte Carlo? Well Aaron and I did that last weekend ..."

PS: Hermit - I'm giving you a kudos simply because your first post was to respond to my thread!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
Very interesting thread ...

I had a mini-QLC as I finished up my master's thesis and I kind of ended up laying out plans for what I wanted to do in my 20's. I'm actually lucky b/c I have a job I really enjoy (for the most part), so I'm actually only applying to schools where it'd be really worth it to take 2 years off.

When I thought about doing an MBA one thing that actually made me hesitate was that I *DIDN'T* want it to be two more years of undergrad.

I will say that QLC or not, you'll meet a lot of remarkable people in B-school and that is always a good thing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
raise my hand..yup i am going though a crisis rightnow..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Warning: Shameless plug here.

For those of you who don't necessarily get into your school of choice (or anywhere), I would strongly suggest what I did 2 years ago, apply to the Peace Corps (or for the internationals, some type of international volunteer organization). It's definitely a change of pace yet there are still TONS of opportunities to use the skills you acquired during undergraduate (engineering, finance, you name it). You will definitely not just be building huts or changing diapers. And you'll make a lot more of an impact than you would drinking coffee and cranking out your 6th case study of the day :)

International volunteer work looks awesome in terms of experience, fun and weight in the resume. As a matter of fact, I've met many US guys from the Peace Corps in my country, they were quite possibly the happiest care-free people I've ever seen. Thing is, international volunteer programs cost a fortune (at least the ones I researched; please feel free to recommend something). There is the option to volunteer in my own country but that's boring and does not do anything to improve international exposure.

Back to the topic of the thread, I strongly suspect quarer life crises, or plain old boredom, to be the #1 reason for people to apply to B School. Or is this too cynical?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
Hell, I'd say half of the MBA students that I've met on my schools visits come right out and say, "I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm working on it".

That's what really pisses me off (try not to roll my eyes too much when they say that), because I feel like they have the opportunities that I want and they are not taking it. F**k that! I want to work hard, work 100 hours a week. I want the intensity in my work, not people think I'm obsessive and they don't give a f**k :evil: I want make an impact, doing deals in developing countries helping with the business developments. I'm going for a career change regardless if Bschool works out or not, how to do that I'm not exactly sure, but it will work out in the end, and I'll fight for it. Gaining one inch at a time.

Cause we know
when we add up all those inches
that's going to make the **** difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this
in any fight
it is the guy who is willing to die
who is going to win that inch.
And I know
if I am going to have any life anymore
it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch
because that is what LIVING is.
The six inches in front of your face.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
cereal255 wrote:
I don't know if this is the appropriate place, but I love your avatar Bostonsparky... I'm a huge Conchords fan.

solid. I looked for a picture from the sign-holding episode (“I’ve changed, I got a job, I have a career, I drink coffee now.” ) but no dice. Should I get into Columbia I might have to see if can lease their apartment.

And re: international volunteering, yeah there are quite a few ripoff ones (think Gmail sponsored ads) that exist today which you have to pay to do, but Peace Corps is government funded, you receive a stipend to cover your food/rent. Not much else, but hey the value is in the experience. There are other programs that will cover your expenses, just be diligent in your search.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
I would guess more than half of MBAs, even at the top schools, are there because they did not like their jobs at the time. How many people do you know who could say, "Yeah I LOVE this job, the pay is OUT OF THIS WORLD, I learn superb new skills every day, and the people are the greatest group of people I have ever worked with. But I want to leave and go back to school."

And those people, if they do attend, go to Harvard and Stanford.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2