Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 00:03 It is currently 09 May 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
Re: Anyone else applying for MAcc 2012 admission? [#permalink]
BC / Baruch / USC - good success rates in placing people in big 4.

NE - not so much.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Date: 01-09-2013
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Ill be applying for Macc program for Fall 2012. Keeping it within CA, since I do not want to pay out of state tuition. Also because I want to stay/work in CA so my school choice suit me just fine. I'm applying to SDSU, SFSU, and SJSU; maybe USC (depending on the cost/benefit).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bruinboy10 wrote:
Ill be applying for Macc program for Fall 2012. Keeping it within CA, since I do not want to pay out of state tuition. Also because I want to stay/work in CA so my school choice suit me just fine. I'm applying to SDSU, SFSU, and SJSU; maybe USC (depending on the cost/benefit).

Hey Bruinboy10. I was also thinking about keeping it within California, but I was worried about the recruitment at those schools. My main reason for going back to get my Masters is to take advantage of OCR. Do you know the Big 4 placement rates for SFSU or SJSU?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ShadesofGrey wrote:
Bruinboy10 wrote:

Hey Bruinboy10. I was also thinking about keeping it within California, but I was worried about the recruitment at those schools. My main reason for going back to get my Masters is to take advantage of OCR. Do you know the Big 4 placement rates for SFSU or SJSU?

Not sure what the placement rates is for either SFSU or SJSU. But I think if you stay on top of your school work (greater than 3.3 gpa) and actively recruit/network the chance of getting an internship or fulltime job offer is really strong. I think it boils down to where you most likely want to work. If you prefer the bay area, then I would look for colleges around there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know the application deadline for fall/summer 2012 semester?

BruinBoy: did u study accounting at undergrad? Do you know how long it takes to complete M.Accounting programs at the schools ur looking at? Also, do you know what GPA/ GMAT are competitive for those programs. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bball88 wrote:

BruinBoy: did u study accounting at undergrad? Do you know how long it takes to complete M.Accounting programs at the schools ur looking at? Also, do you know what GPA/ GMAT are competitive for those programs. Thanks

deadline is posted for the respective schools on their webpage. I think its between Feb-April.

I didnt study accounting in my undergrad(went for economics). It takes about 1year to 2 year to complete a MAcc.
GPA above 3.0, GMAT above 600. Should get you in to most of the CSU for MAcc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bruinboy10 wrote:
bball88 wrote:

deadline is posted for the respective schools on their webpage. I think its between Feb-April.

I didnt study accounting in my undergrad(went for economics). It takes about 1year to 2 year to complete a MAcc.
GPA above 3.0, GMAT above 600. Should get you in to most of the CSU for MAcc.

Thanks for the info. My GPA is kinda low (3.1) so I think I need to do decently well on GMAT. With 3.1, would I still stand a decent chance to get in if I break 600 GMAT? I am applying to San Jose State, CSU Fullerton, Golden Gate University, among others. Do you know if Big4 recruit heavily out of these schools? Btw, did you go to UCLA? (my sister goes there and she loves it)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I dont think big 4 recruits heavily from CSU. But if you recruit well and have a high gpa, I think you stand a good chance at getting in.

yes I went to ucla. Did not recruit at all, so that is why I'm planning on doing the whole macc thing to try and get into a big 4 or other mid size firm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bruinboy10 wrote:
I dont think big 4 recruits heavily from CSU. But if you recruit well and have a high gpa, I think you stand a good chance at getting in.

yes I went to ucla. Did not recruit at all, so that is why I'm planning on doing the whole macc thing to try and get into a big 4 or other mid size firm.

I see. I guess we are in the same boat. I majored in Econ too and that hasn't helped me get anything so far. I thought Econ degree would be marketable, but I realized it wasn't the case, lol.

Do you know about Big4 recruiting at schools such as SJSU or Golden Gate University? I think they are some of the few schools that offer the program in Bay area. And, I guess CSU Fullerton isn't that good for recruiting...

It is my wish to complete the program in 1 and half years. Do you know if I can take some pre-req accounting courses at local community college so that I can graduate from the program in less than 2 years?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bruinboy10 wrote:
ShadesofGrey wrote:
Bruinboy10 wrote:

Not sure what the placement rates is for either SFSU or SJSU. But I think if you stay on top of your school work (greater than 3.3 gpa) and actively recruit/network the chance of getting an internship or fulltime job offer is really strong. I think it boils down to where you most likely want to work. If you prefer the bay area, then I would look for colleges around there.

I've chosen my schools based on the area I want to work already. I was considering SFSU as my second back-up, but I think SDSU would be enough.

I recently read the other day that the only Big 4 firm that recruits at SFSU is KPMG. Don't know how true that it is, but it was posted in a forum from a current SFSU Macc student (who wanted to transfer to USC to utilize their OCR).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Im not sure about SFSU. But I have emailed the ppl over at SDSU and they told me that all big 4 recruit from them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does San Diego State require any pre-requisite courses to be taken in accounting before applying or matriculating? I looked at their site and couldn't find info. Btw, SDSU = San Diego State U, right? Also, does a school like San Diego State have better recruiting than CSUs like CSU Fullerton. Thx.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You should email the admin over at SDSU to see if they take the pre-regs or not.

Not sure who has the better recruitment. I heard from a friend that the PWC office in SD is small, so that doesnt bold well. CSF is located nearby to LA, where the office seem rather huge (but definitely would not want to work around there...too much traffic)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,
New to the site...First post!
I've been admitted to the MS Accounting Program at CUNY Baruch College's Zicklin School of Business, and will be attending starting in Spring 2012. I'd like to schmooze with anyone else who is also starting this program at the same time. So, if there are any of you, message me. I'll list my credentials below, and hopefully it will be useful to anyone who wants to know if they'll be admitted to the Baruch MS Accounting program.

College: SUNY Empire State College, Class of 2011, Bachelor's in Business Administration
GPA: 3.5
Work Experience: Package Handler, Camp Counselor, Supermarket Bag Boy, Security Guard, Shipping Clerk
Relevant Work Experience: None
GMAT Score: 650 (1st try)

I believe I read on Bloomberg Businessweek online that the mean GMAT score for admitted MS Accounting students at Baruch is 628 or thereabouts. I didn't consider myself an overwhelmingly strong candidate when I applied. I have no relevant work experience, but I got good recommendations, did well in college, and did well on the GMAT. So, if you think you can't get in, and you excel in one of these categories, you probably can get in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
calpoly wrote:
Bruinboy10 wrote:

A little late, but Big 4 do recruit at Cal Poly, which is a CSU. We have really high job placement, and just about all of my friends are working for the Big 4 either this summer for an internship or in September full-time. The few that aren't Big 4 are Grant Thronton, Sandisk, Yahoo, Apple (lots of Apple recruiting here), Chevron and Clorox.

are u talking about cal poly master program or undergrad?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bruinboy10 wrote:

Hey Bruinboy! I just graduated from UCLA too and looking to enroll in a Macc program. Did you end up applying to San Jose State? Would love to hear your thoughts about the program. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts